Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I can't afford to find out what's really going on because I;m unemployed and have no insurance which means the pharmacy aisle is my doctor.
I just told you an experiment you can try to see if the real issue is a dietary deficiency...it wouldn't cost you anymore than those fish pills.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM

326 posts, read 703,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Like I said, its not surprising, GNC employees aren't medical experts.... Anyhow, fish oil doesn't lubricate your joints....but, hey, if thinking that makes you happy go for it. You don't seem very interested in figuring out what is really going on....so enjoy the fish pills.

That is actually kind of scary that this is what GNC guys are saying. Ingested oil lubricating joints? Should olive oil or butter work just as well then? How about WD-40?

I think there could be a couple explanations for why fish oil may be assisting your arthritic symptoms. The first is the contribution of Vitamin D - which joint and bone pain is often reported in cases of vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin A may also cause joint pain - though less common to have a deficiency of A. Both of these vitamins are supplemented into most fish oils.

Probably the biggest contributor helping you though is the omega-3 fatty acids DHA & EPA. It is becoming more accepted that having an imbalance of your omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids can promote a chronic inflammatory state. One effect of this could be inflammation of the joints leading to joint pain. Using omega-3 fatty acids might be restoring that balance and reducing the inflammation.

In part I agree with User_ID, the use of fish oil to deal with these symptoms is kind of like putting a band-aid over it and greater problems will probably surface if you don't attempt to find the underlying cause of the arthritis. You can get tested for deficiencies in vitamin A or D. For the fatty acid imbalance you should identify foods in your diet that would contribute to inflammation - usually processed oils and simple carbohydrates. Exercise and a better diet will help you long term - short term keep using that fish oil!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
That is actually kind of scary that this is what GNC guys are saying. Ingested oil lubricating joints? Should olive oil or butter work just as well then? How about WD-40?

I think there could be a couple explanations for why fish oil may be assisting your arthritic symptoms. The first is the contribution of Vitamin D - which joint and bone pain is often reported in cases of vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin A may also cause joint pain - though less common to have a deficiency of A. Both of these vitamins are supplemented into most fish oils.

Probably the biggest contributor helping you though is the omega-3 fatty acids DHA & EPA. It is becoming more accepted that having an imbalance of your omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids can promote a chronic inflammatory state. One effect of this could be inflammation of the joints leading to joint pain. Using omega-3 fatty acids might be restoring that balance and reducing the inflammation.

In part I agree with User_ID, the use of fish oil to deal with these symptoms is kind of like putting a band-aid over it and greater problems will probably surface if you don't attempt to find the underlying cause of the arthritis. You can get tested for deficiencies in vitamin A or D. For the fatty acid imbalance you should identify foods in your diet that would contribute to inflammation - usually processed oils and simple carbohydrates. Exercise and a better diet will help you long term - short term keep using that fish oil!

No you mean using pain pills is like putting a band aid over it. There is no cure for arthritis but the fish oil does a good job in controlling it which reduces pain and increases flexibility. I know the foods that cause inflammation but that doesn't mean I can stop taking the fish oil. I still have to take it along with changing my diet. Now sometimes I do say-"the hell with it" and eat something that I know will cause a inflammation but that's only like once a month.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:38 PM

326 posts, read 703,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No you mean using pain pills is like putting a band aid over it. There is no cure for arthritis but the fish oil does a good job in controlling it which reduces pain and increases flexibility. I know the foods that cause inflammation but that doesn't mean I can stop taking the fish oil. I still have to take it along with changing my diet. Now sometimes I do say-"the hell with it" and eat something that I know will cause a inflammation but that's only like once a month.
There are many causes of arthritis and some may be curable others not. Since you are responding so well to fish oil it seems like situation may be dietary inflammatory related. Diet and exercise might alleviate the symptoms you are facing but it won't be overnight - so keep using the fish oil but hopefully someday you won't need to. And totally agree - the hell with it nights rule..!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
There are many causes of arthritis and some may be curable others not. Since you are responding so well to fish oil it seems like situation may be dietary inflammatory related. Diet and exercise might alleviate the symptoms you are facing but it won't be overnight - so keep using the fish oil but hopefully someday you won't need to. And totally agree - the hell with it nights rule..!

It does appear to be dietary inflammatory related because if I try to drink ice tea that's a instant flare up.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 855 times
Fish oil dosage for knee pain - my GP sez 6 @ 1500 each per day is needed.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
You must not have gotten the memo.

The fish oil fad is over.

Coconut oil is the new " cure all" fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements