U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM

6,980 posts, read 13,667,600 times

Advertisements

I usually try to get enough sleep and rest so I'll have a productive day at work. But sometimes, unexpected interruptions happen (i.e. noise at night, waking up with racing thoughts, etc.) and I fail to get a good night of sleep. I'll need a Plan B in this situation.

Sleeping in is not an option since we start early (630am).

Any suggestions for something (besides caffeine) that'll give the needed energy boost when one did not sleep well?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 PM

20,097 posts, read 25,720,087 times
what about Unisom before you go to bed?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM

8,904 posts, read 8,985,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I usually try to get enough sleep and rest so I'll have a productive day at work. But sometimes, unexpected interruptions happen (i.e. noise at night, waking up with racing thoughts, etc.) and I fail to get a good night of sleep. I'll need a Plan B in this situation.

Sleeping in is not an option since we start early (630am).

Any suggestions for something (besides caffeine) that'll give the needed energy boost when one did not sleep well?
I have not found anything that works better than caffeine, especially if you are talking over the counter. Some of the energy drinks, such as Rockstar, give me a headache. You will not find a nutritional supplement that will make a noticable difference.

I am experimenting with melatonin right now to try to get a better nights sleep. It may be helping some, but you have to take it an hour or two before you go to bed.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM

18,658 posts, read 16,247,211 times
I don’t know your working environment. Is there is any chance you can get a cat nap at break or lunch time? Setting your cellphone as an alarm clock and getting five/ten/fifteen minutes of sleep can leave you refreshed. Maybe you could go out to your car at break or lunch if you were really feeling tired?

I relied on cat naps when I first started driving truck many years ago. It can be very boring sitting behind the wheel of a truck for ten or eleven hours. Many of the trucks I drove would turn themselves off after idling only five minutes. At rest areas; the lack of vibration would wake me up. The five minute nap could power me for several hours. If I was real tired; I would set my cellphone and take a ten or fifteen minute nap. I usually found that longer naps might only make me tired (again) - maybe it is just the way I’m wired?

I did drink caffeine in soda. But; I stayed away from any drugs that could affect my concentration.

If your job is really boring; could you take on other responsibilities or change departments at work? If you do not find a solution; perhaps you should consider changing your vocation.

Anyway; good luck and I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have not found anything that works better than caffeine, especially if you are talking over the counter. Some of the energy drinks, such as Rockstar, give me a headache. You will not find a nutritional supplement that will make a noticable difference.

I am experimenting with melatonin right now to try to get a better nights sleep. It may be helping some, but you have to take it an hour or two before you go to bed.
Poor sleep episodes are fairly rare for me.. (maybe 2x per month.) But when they do happen, I literally feel ILL for the entire day as described previously. I've tried melatonin in the past but it seems if taken regularly, you need to up the dosage to have the same effect. Plus, you can't "plan" for a poor night of sleep with the power of hindsight.. it just "happens" on occasion despite your best effort to prevent it.

While I'm not against using caffeine (which is what I use to remedy the situation), I'm curious if any "natural" over the counter energy boost exist out there since I've not experimented with any yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I don’t know your working environment. Is there is any chance you can get a cat nap at break or lunch time? Setting your cellphone as an alarm clock and getting five/ten/fifteen minutes of sleep can leave you refreshed. Maybe you could go out to your car at break or lunch if you were really feeling tired?

I relied on cat naps when I first started driving truck many years ago. It can be very boring sitting behind the wheel of a truck for ten or eleven hours. Many of the trucks I drove would turn themselves off after idling only five minutes. At rest areas; the lack of vibration would wake me up. The five minute nap could power me for several hours. If I was real tired; I would set my cellphone and take a ten or fifteen minute nap. I usually found that longer naps might only make me tired (again) - maybe it is just the way I’m wired?

I did drink caffeine in soda. But; I stayed away from any drugs that could affect my concentration.

If your job is really boring; could you take on other responsibilities or change departments at work? If you do not find a solution; perhaps you should consider changing your vocation.

Anyway; good luck and I hope you find a solution to your problem.
Again, it's the fatigue not the boredom that cripples me.. I don't know how many people get by on 5-6 hours of sleep but if I had gotten less than 7, I feel literally ill.. it's a feeling that can't really be accurately described in words. Maybe picture being forced to listen to loud music continuously the entire day and see how that affects your mood, alertness, concentration, etc.. that's probably the closest feeling.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM

8,904 posts, read 8,985,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Poor sleep episodes are fairly rare for me.. (maybe 2x per month.) But when they do happen, I literally feel ILL for the entire day as described previously. I've tried melatonin in the past but it seems if taken regularly, you need to up the dosage to have the same effect. Plus, you can't "plan" for a poor night of sleep with the power of hindsight.. it just "happens" on occasion despite your best effort to prevent it.

While I'm not against using caffeine (which is what I use to remedy the situation), I'm curious if any "natural" over the counter energy boost exist out there since I've not experimented with any yet..

Again, it's the fatigue not the boredom that cripples me.. I don't know how many people get by on 5-6 hours of sleep but if I had gotten less than 7, I feel literally ill.. it's a feeling that can't really be accurately described in words. Maybe picture being forced to listen to loud music continuously the entire day and see how that affects your mood, alertness, concentration, etc.. that's probably the closest feeling.
I understand what you're looking for. I have searched for years for supplements that would help with alertness and memory. I often have trouble staying awake in classes or meetings, or while reading. I'm fine if I'm on my feet. I find I sometimes have this problem even if I get 8-9 hours of sleep. My wife thinks I have sleep apnea but I was tested and the results were negative. If you want to consider seeing a physician, you might look into a prescription for Modafinil, which is a prescription drug used to treat excessive sleepiness.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 AM

18,658 posts, read 16,247,211 times
Quote:
If this is a fatigue problem; have you discussed it with your doctor? It might even be stress related?

Many of us have had to do our jobs with a lot less sleep than seven hours. I had one time in my life that I got by on less than two hours sleep (not truck driving). I also worked the grave yard shift for many, many years. On the grave yard shift I almost never had more than a few hours sleep at one time.

Anyway; good luck again.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If this is a fatigue problem; have you discussed it with your doctor? It might even be stress related?

Many of us have had to do our jobs with a lot less sleep than seven hours. I had one time in my life that I got by on less than two hours sleep (not truck driving). I also worked the grave yard shift for many, many years. On the grave yard shift I almost never had more than a few hours sleep at one time.

Anyway; good luck again.
Doc says it's "normal" for someone to feel terrible on less than 7 hours of sleep and says she recommends I get 8.. still doesn't answer why many people may not feel their best with 4-6 hr but don't feel as terrible as me.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,089,885 times
Everyone is different, 8 hrs is only the average that most people need to feel "right." You can try piracetam (available at Amazon) to increase memory and well-being. It increases blood flow to the brain and has medical studies to back it up. I have to take lecithin with it or I get headaches.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,089,885 times
Just watched Dr. Oz talking about cordyceps mushroom extract to fight fatigue. He said 3G per day, available at health food stores, about $7/bottle. Also prickly pear cactus (nopal cactus). about 1000 mg/day. He really stressed the cordyceps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements