Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:56 PM

38,972 posts, read 27,364,015 times

Advertisements

According to this article that I've been reading

I don’t want to disparage people who take multivitamins — it’s their choice as a consumer,” Dr. Neuhouser said. “What we’re presenting is the science showing it’s neither beneficial nor harmful. If they want to choose to spend their dollars elsewhere this might be a good place to do so. Perhaps they can buy more fruits and vegetables.

Study Finds No Benefit From Daily Multivitamin - NYTimes.com

I am kind of disappointed after reading this article. I've been taking multivitamin women's formula for a little over a year. I did notice that my energy level went up and my unhealthy food craving almost eliminated completely.

Studies after studies have shown that many chronic illnesses are caused by Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies. I have to say that the article above disappointed me.

What is your opinion on multivitamin supplement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 PM

207 posts, read 334,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
According to this article that I've been reading

I don’t want to disparage people who take multivitamins — it’s their choice as a consumer,” Dr. Neuhouser said. “What we’re presenting is the science showing it’s neither beneficial nor harmful. If they want to choose to spend their dollars elsewhere this might be a good place to do so. Perhaps they can buy more fruits and vegetables.

Study Finds No Benefit From Daily Multivitamin - NYTimes.com

I am kind of disappointed after reading this article. I've been taking multivitamin women's formula for a little over a year. I did notice that my energy level went up and my unhealthy food craving almost eliminated completely.

Studies after studies have shown that many chronic illnesses are caused by Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies. I have to say that the article above disappointed me.

What is your opinion on multivitamin supplement?
I stopped taking a multi-vitamin about a year ago, and started gaining weight. I have been taking them again, and have lost 14 pounds in 9 weeks. I used to crave junk food at night, it was almost impossible not to give in to my sweet tooth. I often would eat right before bed as well. I have heard studies for both sides of the argument on this one. We've been told since we were kids to make sure we get our vitamins and minerals, and I find it hard to believe that a multi-vitamin has no benefits. I make sure I take the ones in capsules, so that they can be absorbed quickly. I think maybe the bigger pills that are supposed to desolve, might not get absorbed the same. All I know is that I'm going to keep taking it. I think just taking on a daily basis, gives me a psychological boost, knowing I'm doing what I think is right to stay healthy whether it actually works or not.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
I stopped taking a multi-vitamin about a year ago, and started gaining weight. I have been taking them again, and have lost 14 pounds in 9 weeks. I used to crave junk food at night, it was almost impossible not to give in to my sweet tooth. I often would eat right before bed as well. I have heard studies for both sides of the argument on this one. We've been told since we were kids to make sure we get our vitamins and minerals, and I find it hard to believe that a multi-vitamin has no benefits. I make sure I take the ones in capsules, so that they can be absorbed quickly. I think maybe the bigger pills that are supposed to desolve, might not get absorbed the same. All I know is that I'm going to keep taking it. I think just taking on a daily basis, gives me a psychological boost, knowing I'm doing what I think is right to stay healthy whether it actually works or not.
I agree with the bolded. I used to crave junk food especially in the afternoon. After taking multivitamin women's formula, I no longer have those cravings.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,307,406 times
Default I don't agree

Taking a multivitamin has never been advocated as a replacement for a well-balanced diet, proper exercise, and adequate rest. There are far more studies that support this, and support the notion that multivitamins when taken to supplement, are good for your health. Even doctors recommend a multivitamin. The quality of the vitamins varies however, as some don't contain the level of nutrients they advertise. Really important to select the right ones.

Other factors weigh in as well: genetic predisposition to certain diseases and ailments, reaction to stress, diet, exercise or lack thereof, amount of sleep, sex life, emotional well-being, level of income, and so forth.

I had stopped taking a multi for a few months, and overnight felt the difference once I resumed. I don't agree with this study.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,560,267 times
My doctor has never advised me to take a Vitamin apart from blood work showing I was deficient in one or more. The 2 that did show up were Vit D and another time B12. He gave me a script for the D which was far more powerful than OTC vitamins and the B12 by shot which my wife gave me. Vitamin E can be toxic in certain amounts. I tend to believe our bodies will alert us if we are deficient in something. Vitamin, or any supplemental intake, is not regulated such that you can know for certain what is in the capsule or pill. Especially true of supplements. Eat the right foods, get a little exercise, sleep and be glad when your children (if any) leave the house.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:15 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,339,667 times
My lifestyle is unhealthy, I'm not able or willing to remedy that in the most healthy ways (eat well & exercise),
so it makes sense for me to take multis, because it's still better than nothing (even if only *slightly* so).

Tomorrow will be a different study highlighting how taking supplemental vitamins/minerals/omega 3s
does confer *some* benefit for people with otherwise poor nutrition and less-than-optimal lifestyle habits.

And the day after that, a contradictory study will come out,
and so on & on, back & forth between warring conclusions.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,987,550 times
Multivitamins surely are of some benefit. My opinion on them, though, is that they have too little quantity of certain vitamins in them to do much good. As for the minerals they contain, I can see benefit in that.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:46 PM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,520,207 times
I ran out of vitamins and just didn't buy any more for about a week. I felt miserable and the next trip to the grocery store I bought my 55+ vitamins again. Vitamin D3 helps prevent cancer (FYI). I didn't read the article and don't really care what it says. I go by how I feel.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:06 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,987,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I ran out of vitamins and just didn't buy any more for about a week. I felt miserable and the next trip to the grocery store I bought my 55+ vitamins again. Vitamin D3 helps prevent cancer (FYI). I didn't read the article and don't really care what it says. I go by how I feel.

Yes, vitamin D3 is a great supplement. It helps for many things. Just don't overdose on it.
It's beneficial to take D3 with vitamin K2 also.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Taking a multivitamin has never been advocated as a replacement for a well-balanced diet, proper exercise, and adequate rest. There are far more studies that support this, and support the notion that multivitamins when taken to supplement, are good for your health. Even doctors recommend a multivitamin. The quality of the vitamins varies however, as some don't contain the level of nutrients they advertise. Really important to select the right ones.

Other factors weigh in as well: genetic predisposition to certain diseases and ailments, reaction to stress, diet, exercise or lack thereof, amount of sleep, sex life, emotional well-being, level of income, and so forth.

I had stopped taking a multi for a few months, and overnight felt the difference once I resumed. I don't agree with this study.
I completely agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements