U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2012, 04:43 PM

467 posts, read 302,109 times

Advertisements

Have just recently stumbled on to articles that have caused me to rethink all I've been told about "essential" Omega 3 fatty acids. Am wondering what your experience with fish oil has been.

The Great Fish Oil Experiment
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:46 PM

101 posts, read 126,572 times
I don't think Fish oil is a scam.
I think it is a bit hyped up & exegerated.

I have noticed some slight improvements in mental well being with Fish oil such as a little more focused & happy.

As far as the other claims like Cholestrol reducing benefits? I can't say.
Perhaps the Heart healthy part of the Fish oil is more of a scam.

Since the brain is mostly made out of fats than the Fish oil claims to help your brain seems to be more likely than helping your heart.

Or the muscle building benefits? I am doubtful.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
ino

681 posts, read 1,371,005 times
This is probly not dissimilar to the fluoride in the mains water supply. Flouride is a waste product of aluminium processing plants which results in a toxic form of fluoride as a waste by-product. So, what's the best way of making money out of a waste product? Sell it with a health label sticker on it. Fish oil, and whatever that constitutes, is probly another waste product of fish processing plants, and rather than dump it at the tip, sell it with a health label sticker on it. No Corporation, Medical authority or government can be trusted to look out for the peoples interests anymore today.

Pessimistic....probably, untrusting...definitely!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Hasn't everyone heard that omega 3 fatty acids are "essential"?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 5,025,651 times
When I take fish oil my blood work comes back at much better levels, more so when I use krill oil.

I also take it for the anti-inflammatory effects it has, due to medical conditions.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 PM
ino

681 posts, read 1,371,005 times
They hand out cholesterol tablets like lollies too. The brain is mostly cholesterol. Be it good or bad cholesterol nobody can categorically state that those tablets DON'T affect the brain, regardless of what the establishment may state to the contrary. Every action will most likely have a reaction...of some sort?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 PM

5,269 posts, read 11,718,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When I take fish oil my blood work comes back at much better levels, more so when I use krill oil.

I also take it for the anti-inflammatory effects it has, due to medical conditions.
Yes, fish oil works as an anti-inflammatory.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

The Painful Truth About Omega 3 Fatty Acids

A few months back I wrote a similar article revealing the oxidative free radical damage and pre-mature aging caused by omega 3 fatty acids. Not too many people were happy to hear the painful truth that their favorite fish oil/krill oil supplement are really just potential free radicals in a bottle.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM

315 posts, read 290,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
The Painful Truth About Omega 3 Fatty Acids

A few months back I wrote a similar article revealing the oxidative free radical damage and pre-mature aging caused by omega 3 fatty acids. Not too many people were happy to hear the painful truth that their favorite fish oil/krill oil supplement are really just potential free radicals in a bottle.
You know I love the articles you post Mark - but let me tell you two things I notice about some of them that makes me raise an eyebrow --

1) Ray peat -- all your articles whether its by Ray or another blogger/author will eventually reference Ray -- are you Ray?
Quote:
Sources, Authors:
Ray Peat, PhD, Ray Peat
(EDIT - Just realized it was a reposted article originally written by Ray Peat... lol aahh ray...)

And 2 -- even though they are written fairly recently - they cite articles that are usually more than a decade old!!

Quote:
Studies:
Borst, P., et al. “Uncoupling Action Of Long Chain Fatty Acids,” Biochem. Bioph. Acta, 62, 509-18, 1962.
PUFAs stimulate excess production of prostaglandins – contributing to inflammatory joint disease, osteoporosis, immuno-suppression, and fluid retention.
Johnston, P. “Dietary Fat, Eicosanoids, and Immunity,” Advances In Lipid Research, 21, 103-41, 1985.

Lipids. 22(6), 445-54, 1987. “Effect of fatty acids on junctional communication: Possible role in tumor promotion by dietary polyunsaturated fat,” Aylsworth, C.F. et al.

Antioxid Redox Signal. 1999 Fall;1(3):255-84. 4-Hydroxynonenal as a biological signal: molecular basis and pathophysiological implications. Parola, et al.

Lipids. 1988 Apr;23(4):370-1. Malondialdehyde excretion by subjects consuming cod liver oil vs a concentrate of omega 3 fatty acids. Piche, et al.

Neurobiol Aging. 2005 Apr;26(4):465-74. Immuno chemical cross reactivity of antibodies specific for “advanced glycation end products” with “advanced lipoxidation end products”. Richter, et al.

Atherosclerosis. 1997 Nov;Vol.135, no. 1, pp.1-7. Oxidized cholesterol in the diet accelerates the development of atherosclerosis in LDL receptor deficient and apolipo protein e-deficient mice. Staprans, et al.
J Nutr. 2000 Dec;130(12):3028-33. Polyunsaturated omega 3 fatty acids susceptible to peroxidation are increased in plasma and tissue lipids of rats fed DHA-containing oils.

Free Radic Res. 2001 Apr;34(4): 427-35. DHA supplementation increases oxidative damage in bone marrow DNA in rats and the relation to antioxidant vitamins. Umegaki, et al.
Since the latest cited publication by this author there have been about 3400 publications just on the search term "DHA" and >2006 (Link. Not that we should ignore old studies - but not seeing anything recent leads me to believe this author searched long and hard to cherry pick his studies...

For instance here is a small publication in 2011 that an omega-6 fatty acid (arachadonic acid) increased oxidative stress while DHA had antioxidant effects in a particular cell line - I won't dig too deep into this issue... Pro- and an... [Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2011 Sep-Oct] - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited by Sciameriken; 06-19-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Ray Peat has a Ph.D; he has studied hormones since the late 60s:
Ray Peat

Concerning my background, I have a Ph.D. in Biology from the University of Oregon, with specialization in physiology. The schools I have taught at include: the University of Oregon, Urbana College, Montana State University, National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Universidad Veracruzana, the Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, and Blake College. I also conduct private nutritional counseling.
I started my work with progesterone and related hormones in 1968. In papers in Physiological Chemistry and Physics (1971 and 1972) and in my dissertation (University of Oregon, 1972), I outlined my ideas regarding progesterone, and the hormones closely related to it, as protectors of the body's structure and energy against the harmful effects of estrogen, radiation, stress, and lack of oxygen.
The key idea was that energy and structure are interdependent, at every level.
Since then, I have been working on both practical and theoretical aspects of this view. I think only a new perspective on the nature of living matter will make it possible to properly take advantage of the multitude of practical and therapeutic effects of the various life-supporting substances--pregnenolone, progesterone, thyroid hormone, and coconut oil in particular.
"Marketing" of these as products, without understanding just what they do and why they do it, seems to be adding confusion, rather than understanding, as hundreds of people sell their misconceptions with their products. The very concept of "marketing" is at odds with the real nature of these materials, which has to do with the protection and expansion of our nature and potential. A distorted idea of human nature is sold when people are treated as "the market."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements