U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 PM

224 posts, read 336,909 times
Default Why do B12 shots make me sleepy, but B12 pills make me hyper?

The doctor has me giving myself the shots every other week and for the day of and day after the injection I feel so drowsy all day its hard to function. If I take a B12 pill or liquid oral supplement though in the middle of day then I'm wide eyed as a hoot owl and can't sleep that night. If I take the injection in mid-day to late evening within a hour I feel like I had been drugged with sleeping pills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 AM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Why are you getting B12 injected at all? Do you have a B12 deficiency?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM

224 posts, read 336,909 times
Yes I do have a deficiency because of a condition I have. The doctor also insisted it would speed up metabolism so he wanted me to have the injections more often than just at doctor visits so he has me doing them at home.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM

148 posts, read 171,558 times
I wonder what type of b12 shots your doctor is giving you. Have you tried between methylcobalamin vs cyanocobalamin (synthetic form like in all pills) b12's? Methycobalamin is the high quality form while cyano version is often found and used widely as manufacturers can make them for cheap.

I'm a bit skeptical with him 'insisting' as you can use oral methycobalamin b12's and better absorbed by the body. See what works for you. If you feel great with non-shot form why not? As long as your b12's are sufficient in your body there are other ways to speed up your metabolism.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM

9,800 posts, read 7,179,345 times
When I took shots, I was just bouncing off walls for a few days and very hyper for a week or so and then dead tired the last week. I think the doctor is trying to even out the dosing you get from it. I would tell the doctor about the sedation. I now take the sublignual pills. One or two a day, when I get up and I feel great. And I don't get so hyper I can't sit and so zonked I can't do anything else when its run dry. I too have a physical need since I don't get it from food.

Do you have other symptoms of it not being effective when you haven't taken the supliments? Keep a journal of the effects, with times and dates and a daily log of how you feel to give to your doctor since if there is a pattern it could help clarify the problem.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:31 AM

801 posts, read 920,850 times
B-12 can help with the production of melatonin so when I discovered that I began taking my sublingual lozenge (1,000 mcg) before bedtime. It doesn't make me sleepy per se but it helps me stay asleep, which I needed because I tend to wake up a lot, but I have noticed that when I get up most of the time I still feel drugged up.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 AM

9 posts, read 17,479 times
Are you able to check the ingredients to both your b12s? Might be something added that gives a side effect.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
I wonder what type of b12 shots your doctor is giving you. Have you tried between methylcobalamin vs cyanocobalamin (synthetic form like in all pills) b12's? Methycobalamin is the high quality form while cyano version is often found and used widely as manufacturers can make them for cheap.

I'm a bit skeptical with him 'insisting' as you can use oral methycobalamin b12's and better absorbed by the body. See what works for you. If you feel great with non-shot form why not? As long as your b12's are sufficient in your body there are other ways to speed up your metabolism.
Thank you so much for your post. I kept thinking it was just from the allergy I have to the synthic B12 shot. My doctor will not prescribe the true 12 vial to me. I also have Pernicious anemia, so I have to take the shot every 10 days. Again, thank you so much. My body does not produce any B 12.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 PM

9,800 posts, read 7,179,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post

I'm trying my first bottle of the methycobalamin form and its clearly making a difference. Due to surgery I absorb no b 12 from food so its a necessity. When I had shots I got a tired feeling for a few hours after the shot then went into turbo mode for a couple of days. By the time the month was dwindling down I was sooooo tired all the time and felt very blah. The pills I use are the sublingual type and they work far better than shots.

But while the other form would give me an initial boast of energy it wore out fast. The high quality form is more long lasting and effective. Anyone who takes B12 and absolutely needs it should be taking this and not the cheap walmart variety.

And I ordered it off Amazon and got three months supply of the same potency for the cost of a month of the stuff from the store so it need not be more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements