U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-04-2012, 11:40 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,638,923 times
Default When and How Do You Take Vitamins?

If you take 3,4,5 or more pills a day....do you take them all at once or spread them out? Other than things that SHOULD NOT be taken together, does it matter?

Does it matter if it's multiple capsules of the same thing, versus 8 different vitamins.supplements.

For example, I take a supplement that says one serving is three capsules (of the same thing).....should I spread them out.... does it matter, or if the three are considered ONE serving SHOULD I take them together.

I think I read years ago about taking too many things at once leading to some of those things not being absorbed as well as if -- say 6 pills at once versus being spread out: 2 pills then hours later 2 pills then hours later 2 pills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM

10,283 posts, read 12,390,500 times
I take one chewable children's multivitamin every morning. Eventually I'll remember to buy TUMS and add one of those for the calcium every morning as well.

Since I eat a lot of foods that contain things like - nutrition -

I don't have any deficiencies requiring me to take supplements. The multivitamin is more of a psychological boost, than a medical need, for me. I really should take calcium but I keep forgetting to buy it.

Unread 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM

793 posts, read 320,977 times
i take 6 type of vitamins and i take 4 in the morning and the fish oil and biotin with dinner. i dont know if some shouldnt be take together or what... im going to see if theres a website that has something about vitamin interactions. i always wanted to know the answer to this question too. one reason i spread them apart is because i dont like taking fish oil in the morning!! gross!! lol

Unread 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM

1,436 posts, read 477,596 times
I take my vitamins after lunch at work with water. I can't take them on an empty stomach. I keep them in my cube. On the weekend I have some gummi vites at home I take whenever.

Unread 11-07-2012, 04:40 PM

1,947 posts, read 1,328,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If you take 3,4,5 or more pills a day....do you take them all at once or spread them out? Other than things that SHOULD NOT be taken together, does it matter?

Does it matter if it's multiple capsules of the same thing, versus 8 different vitamins.supplements.

For example, I take a supplement that says one serving is three capsules (of the same thing).....should I spread them out.... does it matter, or if the three are considered ONE serving SHOULD I take them together.

I think I read years ago about taking too many things at once leading to some of those things not being absorbed as well as if -- say 6 pills at once versus being spread out: 2 pills then hours later 2 pills then hours later 2 pills.
The best time to take vitamins is with your largest meal of the day. If you are taking multiple capsules of water souble vitamins (B vitamins, vitamin c), it is best to spread them out and take them with other meals. This will ensure a higher level of the vitamin in your body throughout the day. For fat soluble vitamins or things like glucosamine, you can take it all at once.

Unread 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 7,240 times
I take B complex, C, zinc, and a reliable time release multivitamin after breakfast. I just pop them all in my mouth at one time.

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,093 times
I take my multivitamin and biotin every morning right before or after I eat breakfast. A take a fish oil right before or after I eat dinner.

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:44 PM

222 posts, read 63,962 times
I spread my vitamins and supplements throughout the day, as it's likely to enhance uptake. Probiotic first thing, Multi with meals 1 and 2, fish oil with meals 1, 2 and 5, Vit D with meal 5. Those are my staples, I cycle other products in and out depending on goal.

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:10 PM

6,630 posts, read 3,836,831 times
I take a Multi vitamin, With whatever is the largest meal for that day.

Unread 07-15-2013, 07:58 PM

6,210 posts, read 3,675,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The best time to take vitamins is with your largest meal of the day. If you are taking multiple capsules of water souble vitamins (B vitamins, vitamin c), it is best to spread them out and take them with other meals. This will ensure a higher level of the vitamin in your body throughout the day. For fat soluble vitamins or things like glucosamine, you can take it all at once.
This. ^^^^ Most vitamins and minerals need stomach acid to be absorbed so you need to take them with food. The acid that is produced for digestion will also help you absorb your supplements. The water soluble vitamins are better if taken a few times a day since they don't stay in your system that long--being water soluble you pee them out. I try to take them with a snack.

I take calcium and magnesium away from meals but I make sure to take an acidic form of each so they will be absorbed better. I am extremely deficient in magnesium (most people are) but from having chronic fatigue I am waaaay low. I think it's okay to take your calcium and magnesium together as long as they are both acidic forms like citrate for instance. (citrus is acidic). Doctors have told me to take calcium and magnesium together since they work together. I think you can take fish oil anytime and even on an empty stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements