Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

This is the mag I've been taking for a while now. Most days 4-6 tabs, so upwards of 600mg total. I might add a lifeExtension mag complex cap to the mix. That seems to be a pretty high dose that you take. 1600mg.

I've not taken the threonate form but looked at it. I believe it's recommended for the brain/memory. It's pricey.

I have vivid dreams MOST nights and not sure what I take that does it, from my sleep combo or the mag or all. I can live with my dreams.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is the mag I've been taking for a while now. Most days 4-6 tabs, so upwards of 600mg total. I might add a lifeExtension mag complex cap to the mix. That seems to be a pretty high dose that you take. 1600mg.
That's what it says to take, on the bottle. I realize that's a really stupid reason, but I have to take some amount (and I think it should probably be above the RDA which many seem to think is too minimal), so I thought I'd go with it. Well, I might drop down to 1200 or 800mg.

I might buy some magnesium threonate today. Will report back.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:16 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45279481-post2.html

Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
That's what it says to take, on the bottle. I realize that's a really stupid reason, but I have to take some amount (and I think it should probably be above the RDA which many seem to think is too minimal), so I thought I'd go with it. Well, I might drop down to 1200 or 800mg.

I might buy some magnesium threonate today. Will report back.

Just talking to another online health friend and we're talking about my dental toothpaste I make up and how it's keeping me from dental cleanings, and this member said as long as he takes in sufficient magnesium it's keeping plaque from building up in the arteries AND the teeth. He uses baking soda and now going to throw in coconut oil since my reports. ummmm

Can you name the mag you take as I'd like to look at the ingredients and dosing.

Personally, I don't think anyone knows how much of anything anyone needs to take for their optimal health and their body.

Linus Pauling took mega mega doses of Vit C and I have an online friend who takes 10K of Vit C daily. Pauling died pretty young considering.

And our food supply is so VOID in nutrients in today's food production.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:37 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
I wasn't expecting to say anything so quickly about magnesium threonate, but I recommend not wasting your money on it. I slept less well last night than I have been in a while, and I didn't have anything else in my system that could have been responsible (no extra caffeine later in the day or anything like that). I feel a little groggier this morning than I have been feeling. I will presumably try it again at another time. Yeah, I don't know, I really feel more like my usual groggy morning self than I had been feeling since taking the magnesium glycinate.

The magnesium glycinate I've currently been taking is from Solaray.

suzy_q2010, thanks. I'm not that worried about exceeding the RDA per se but I think it is time to drop down some.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:44 PM

I meant to post the Dr Best Mag I've been staying with more and more.

Doctor's Best, Magnesium, High Absorption, 100% Chelated, 120 Tablets - iHerb.com

Interesting about the mag threonate. Maybe taking a very low dose now and then just "to see" what happens, along with the Solaray. One has to experiment what "fits" best for them. Our bodies are all unique.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:40 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I've tried all different brands and forms of magnesium ever since my dr discovered that I was hugely deficient. Nothing seems to work though--my dr said it was probably due to poor absorption on my part. Magnesium is poorly absorbed anyway.

What's been helping is something I learned about on here: magnesium oil. Not really an oil but it's magnesium in solution. I have some that you spray on and then rub in. It's helping somewhat with the chronic insomnia. After all these years of taking magnesium capsules and trying every insomnia supplement I could find. So, in some, if not all cases it's an absorption issue and the "oil" takes care of that.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
As a Type 2 diabetic I have high needs for magnesium. I believe I was probably severely deficient when I was diagnosed several years ago. I have read that it really takes a long time to "tank up your stores" so to speak, and yes, it can be poorly absorbed by many due to different reasons. I think I am finally where I should be in that regard. I take different forms, a little at a time during the day. I used to take mag citrate powder as one of the forms, but it gave me too much loose bowels. I now take mag glycinate powder, mag oil, and some mag/calcium/potassium tri-salts powder. Seems to be working for me.

I also take taurine powder, and take the glycinate at the same time. They work together synergistically. Also, the glycinate is supposed to be the best to correct a long term deficiency.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As a Type 2 diabetic I have high needs for magnesium. I believe I was probably severely deficient when I was diagnosed several years ago. I have read that it really takes a long time to "tank up your stores" so to speak, and yes, it can be poorly absorbed by many due to different reasons. I think I am finally where I should be in that regard. I take different forms, a little at a time during the day. I used to take mag citrate powder as one of the forms, but it gave me too much loose bowels. I now take mag glycinate powder, mag oil, and some mag/calcium/potassium tri-salts powder. Seems to be working for me.

I also take taurine powder, and take the glycinate at the same time. They work together synergistically. Also, the glycinate is supposed to be the best to correct a long term deficiency.

We're talking a lot about cataracts and how magnesium deficiency COULD be a great cause of these cataracts and subsequent mega surgeries to remove cataracts.

I posted the below in the cataract area in Alternative.

Effect of magnesium deficiency on intracellular ATP levels in human lens epithelial cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Boils my blood on so much deficiency and so so little info unless one is in the alternative world of healing and does their own reserarch and work on getting optimal.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Soaking in a warm epsom salt bath is a good way to get mag without the diarrhea problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements