Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM

39 posts, read 54,357 times

Advertisements

Many thanks for all the helpful posts. I've waited almost 3 months since posting my OP question and finally finished two saw palmetto bottles. I know that results are individual. For me, the saw palmetto did not affect my frequent urination. Based on this great forum discussion, I might try pumpkin seeds or a beta-sistosterol supplement for the urination. I also might try some of the other suggested foods for general prostrate health. I appreciate all the insightful posts -- articles, supplements, foods, personal experiences. Everybody has been great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 04:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLite View Post
Many thanks for all the helpful posts. I've waited almost 3 months since posting my OP question and finally finished two saw palmetto bottles. I know that results are individual. For me, the saw palmetto did not affect my frequent urination. Based on this great forum discussion, I might try pumpkin seeds or a beta-sistosterol supplement for the urination. I also might try some of the other suggested foods for general prostrate health. I appreciate all the insightful posts -- articles, supplements, foods, personal experiences. Everybody has been great!
I started with the Source Naturals Mega Strength Beta Sitosterol but based on the information from this thread I bought a large bottle of the Pure Encapsulations Beta-sitosterol with 270 capsules. I've gone through most of that bottle and occasionally still take the Source Naturals product. I have not seen any benefit but I'm always hopeful.

I also tried pumpkin seeds. I ate bags and bags of pumpkins seeds. I would eat a couple spoonfuls every day. I didn't see any benefit from that either.

At 61, I think I will eventually have to get the roto-rooter surgery (TURP). I'm hoping for an alternative before I make that decision.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I've been taking this for more than ten years. It works for me, though it is subtle. You must take it for months. I've found that if I run out within about a week or so I'm having flow problems and frequent trips down the hall each night. I'm a bit concerned the company will stop making them, leaving me questing again. I've recently decided to also try pygeum, as I have read that it is frequently prescribed in France. The key to this saw palmetto formula is 85-90% fatty acids and sterols. The less expensive powder in pills from the same company doesn't work for me.

I'm hoping medical advances will figure something out in the very near future, but for the meantime I'm doing ok with these and sleep through the night most of the time. Good luck.
DC

Old 10-17-2017, 05:21 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,110,339 times
There are two newer procedures on the horizon for BPH that may prove to be promising, one is 'P.A.E.' ["prostate artery embolization"] and the other is urolift.com.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 PM

510 posts, read 370,862 times
Swanson Pygeum might be worth a try, it gets good ratings.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:25 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

At 61, I think I will eventually have to get the roto-rooter surgery (TURP). I'm hoping for an alternative before I make that decision.
Evaluate risks vs benefits of surgery for you: if you only have the nuisance of frequent urination or nocturia (may have more to do with sleep problems than BPH) then maybe risks of surgery (~5%) or ineffectiveness of TURP (~70% do improve, meaning 30% don't) outweigh benefits. OTOH- sever urinary obstruction can cause kidney disease & renal failure.

Bladder training can help a little: don't ignore the call to urinate. Waiting can diminish bladder tone so when you do finally go, the bladder isn't contracting well and you're left with"drainage by gravity."

Old 10-23-2017, 07:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Evaluate risks vs benefits of surgery for you: if you only have the nuisance of frequent urination or nocturia (may have more to do with sleep problems than BPH) then maybe risks of surgery (~5%) or ineffectiveness of TURP (~70% do improve, meaning 30% don't) outweigh benefits. OTOH- sever urinary obstruction can cause kidney disease & renal failure.

Bladder training can help a little: don't ignore the call to urinate. Waiting can diminish bladder tone so when you do finally go, the bladder isn't contracting well and you're left with"drainage by gravity."
Both my urologist and my son who is a physician have said similar things to what you have stated. My problem is much worse during the day than at night. I'm up anywhere from 0-2 times a night. I make up for it when I get up in the morning and go 2-3 times before I leave for work. I have to go again when I arrive at work. Waiting to go is not an option for me, I can't ignore the call to urinate. I go in anticipation of not being able to go for the next 30-60 minutes.

At this point, I'm waiting to hear more about the experiences with options like prostate artery embolization and Urolift.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:53 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
If you use saw palmetto for an enlarged prostate gland, it's possible that this substance in a liquid form is better than a gelcap or other dry form, at least according to some stuff I have read on the Internet

About FloMax: follow the instruction from the doctor who prescribes it to you. For example, as far as I know you should take it 30 minutes after a meal (maybe after dinner?), and keep the same schedule each day. Also, if you are taking blood pressure reducers that contain a diuretic and you drink plenty of water and other fluids, more than likely you will be peeing all night. Check with your doctor and monitor your blood pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements