Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times

Advertisements

I'm not too surprised at the results. The evidence, even before this study, was pretty spotty. Vitamins and minerals are necessary for a healthy human but that doesn't mean taking them out of food and sticking them in a pill will help. More likely, like so much that is marketed to us, the placebo effect is still strong and well in this country.

First off, just because you take a multi vitamin doesn't mean you'll absorb all those vitamins. Probably more goes out your urine then into your body. My father would take a multi vitamin and say it's so he can have expensive pee. Of course, he was hoping like most people there would be some benefit besides yellower pee.

Secondly, a multivitamin will probably do next to nothing for a healthy adult that eats a relatively balanced diet. Just because we live in a society that thinks "if one is good then two must be better" doesn't make it so. Our bodies don't utilize the excess and indeed just pee it out.

Thirdly, getting vitamins and minerals via food is much different then via a pill. The vitamins in a pill are concentrated and often synthetic copies that are not easily absorbed by the body. With food you are digesting the nutrients slowly and consitently throughout the day in smaller amounts that the body can utilize. It's like saying we should have eight glasses of water a day but instead of having them throughout the day you have them all in one shot. You'll have too much water for the body to use well for the short run and in the long run you'll still end up dehydrated.

Plus, how many phyto nutrients are in any given plant food that we don't even know about? A simple orange probably has thousands of different phyto chemical nutrients that our body utilizes. And many of those nutrients are destroyed when you try to process and strip the plant of them. They are simply not stable enough but our body needs and utilizes them.

Finally, as the article states, "About half of all Americans use some form of vitamin or dietary supplement, spending $20 billion annually on the products." So why should these companies care to prove that they work? They already have a cash cow going. We literally live in the most pill popping country in the world. A lot of it is simply for us to pay for a "better" placebo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Interesting. I wonder if the good doctor advocates not spraying vitamins on cereal or otherwise fortifying orange juice, milk, and a number of other foods with vitamins.

Of course, it's better to obtain all of our vital nutrients from food. When that doesn't (or can't) happen, then vitamins can help to fill the void. That is what they were intended to do.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Well, if it might help and not hurt, I don't see an issue. I started taking a supplement for Hair, Skin and Nails and actually thought it would not work but it does. I know with babies, it made big difference and even my dogs. So much of the food is processed to the point that nothing is left. Can't hurt and many things can so..............

Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 AM

334 posts, read 716,179 times
Study Finds No Benefit From Daily Multivitamin?

A "study". Big whoop. Tell me who paid for the "study" and I'll tell you what it showed without even reading it. Give me enough money to throw around and I'll give you a study that proves chickens have lips. Give me even more money for grants and I'll get a gaggle of "scientists" to sign on.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
Everyone in my house has Lyme Disease. We rely on our vitamins and supplements to keep us going. We all eat an organic diet, exercise as much as we're able, and don't drink or smoke. The things we take are vital to our health.

I believe that many in the medical profession (not ALL, but many) try to downplay the value of vitamins and supplements because they are not big money making prescriptions that they make money from. Just my humble opinion.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
Everyone in my house has Lyme Disease. We rely on our vitamins and supplements to keep us going. We all eat an organic diet, exercise as much as we're able, and don't drink or smoke. The things we take are vital to our health.

I believe that many in the medical profession (not ALL, but many) try to downplay the value of vitamins and supplements because they are not big money making prescriptions that they make money from. Just my humble opinion.
I disagree. Naturopaths are making a lot of money by selling and advocating for vitamins.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 AM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
Which is why I said "not ALL, but many" -- and I was referring to MDs not NDs which is what the article was referring to.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:38 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I'd say most supplements people take are not necessary.. I have no evidence to suggest this but there's a couple that would prove to be beneficial:

Vitamin K2 MK-4
Iodine/Selenium
Alpha Lipolic Acid

I take these 3 along with a daily multivitamin. I don't take the iodine often however... a pill per week or two. I'm probably not helping anything. My grandmother never took a vitamin pill in her life and was a heavy smoker and is 80 years old and still chugging along. The internet is full of money grubbers attempting to cash in on people's health problems. The biggest scammers are sellers of probiotic pills. You are better off getting real kefir grains and making Kefir in store bought 1% milk if you want probiotics in your system. And might I add they didn't 'do anything' for me really.

Stress and anxiety cause most health problems. (and genetics) Change your mind to clear up your symptoms.. this is what I've discovered. Relax... laugh... better cure than any quack medicine out there.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Alpha Lipoic Acid pills probably can help as a study showed greatly improved livers in a short time when injected. The study is on Wikipedia. Selenium had an actual study, also, showing those who took it were over 40% less likely to be diagnosed with cancer (tested as a preventative for many kinds of cancer). K2 I read can improve absorption of D3. I need to do more research on Probiotics, but they say they are good bacteria that balance out bad bacteria in the intestines. I pay $5.75 for 250 1 billion.

[quote=stockwiz;31878561)

Vitamin K2 MK-4
Iodine/Selenium
Alpha Lipolic Acid

I take these 3 along with a daily multivitamin. I don't take the iodine often however... a pill per week or two. I'm probably not helping anything. The biggest scammers are sellers of probiotic pills. And might I add they didn't 'do anything' for me really.

Stress and anxiety cause most health problems. (and genetics) Change your mind to clear up your symptoms.. this is what I've discovered. Relax... laugh... better cure than any quack medicine out there. [/quote]

Old 02-11-2014, 10:40 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
Default Women's vitamins have helped me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
According to this article that I've been reading

I don’t want to disparage people who take multivitamins — it’s their choice as a consumer,” Dr. Neuhouser said. “What we’re presenting is the science showing it’s neither beneficial nor harmful. If they want to choose to spend their dollars elsewhere this might be a good place to do so. Perhaps they can buy more fruits and vegetables.

Study Finds No Benefit From Daily Multivitamin - NYTimes.com

I am kind of disappointed after reading this article. I've been taking multivitamin women's formula for a little over a year. I did notice that my energy level went up and my unhealthy food craving almost eliminated completely.

Studies after studies have shown that many chronic illnesses are caused by Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies. I have to say that the article above disappointed me.

What is your opinion on multivitamin supplement?
I take Women't vitamins for a few conditions and they brought m BP low. My BP use to be 136/90, now my BP runs 112/66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements