Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,593,163 times

Advertisements

just wondering if anyone has used this as a supplement to control sugar/diabetes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,742,413 times
I'm very much interested in treating illnesses with supplements and herbs so I was surprised by this. I went to my favorite website and looked it up from their extensive database but it wasn't listed. The amazing thing though is that I stumbled upon something I have heard of but had forgotten about: bitter melon.

Quote:
Clinical Summary
Bitter melon is a perennial plant that grows in the tropical and subtropical regions of Asia, South America, East Africa, and the Caribbean. It is used both as food and in medicine to treat diabetes, cancer, viral infections, and immune disorders. The nutritional value of bitter melon is due to its high mineral and vitamin content, whereas its bitterness is attributed to the presence of alkaloids, momordicosides, and momordicines.
In vitro and animal studies indicate anticancer, antiviral, and lipid lowering effects. Bitter melon was also shown to exert hypoglycemic effects in both healthy and diabetic patients , but further studies are required to recommend its use.
Bitter melon can have additive effects when combined with insulin or oral hypoglycemic agents.
It turns out that it is one of the treatments of choice in Asia for type II diabetics so that sounds promising. In a study where they compared it to metformin, it had a less powerful effect but it did have hypoglycemic effects. The optimum dose for the melon was 2000 mg. Oh heck, here's the link to the article: Bitter Melon | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center There are studies listed at the bottom and some of my info came from those.

But, I'm co-opting your thread and as far as I know mulberry is not one of the more commonly used plants for diabetes in Asia. The ones that are: Coccinia indica, Azadirachta indica, Trigonella foenum-graecum, Syzygium cumini, Terminalia chebula, Ficus racemosa, Momordica charantia, Swietenia mahagoni. (Mulberry is morus nigra.)

Bottom line though is that I wouldn't try any of this stuff while on meds b/c you could lower your glucose too much. Also, you want to be sure you're doing everything you can with diet and exercise.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,742,413 times
Deeds, where did you learn about mulberry?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,704,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Deeds, where did you learn about mulberry?

I know you're asking the OP but I heard about White Mulberry on the Dr. Oz show. He mentioned the white mulberries can help lower blood sugar and the leaves can be used to make tea and also help reduce blood sugar. This was a few weeks ago so I don't completely remember but I think he said it blocks the absorption of sugar into your system.

You could probably find it on his site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements