Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
At many places you can ask them not to use it, and they will accommodate you.

true....but that's proved risky as he's been lied to before.
Best protection is to just not eat out I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Hmmmmmmm I dont think I am allergic to Tomatos Anon but I do know I am bothered by MSG! (I think,not 100% sure but almost)

When I have anything with MSG in it,I have a bad reaction!! (Maybe not the first time but if I have the stuff again within days I usually get it (Like it builds up in your system and too much @ once bothers me??))

I can eat tomatos... I HAVE TOMATO SOUP,etc.......But when I have these baked beans (BUSHS BEST) that doesnt say MSG on the label but has "Spices" and "Natural flavours" listed,I have a reaction!!!! (The same reaction) It has happend 2 times now several hours after eating them.... Feels like im being electructed all thru my body....... (Originating in my mouth) -- I have had it many years now and didnt narrow it down to MSG possibly within the last few years....... (A food reaction)
Then you are not allergic to MSG.

Not sure how many different ways I can explain this in order to get you to understand.

Tomatoes, cheese, yogurt, soy sauce, hydrolized yeast (something all vegans know about) ALL contain MSG. Naturally. There is no MSG added to any of these foods. They come with it.

If you are allergic to MSG, you WILL have a reaction to all of these foods. If you do not have a reaction to ALL of these foods, then you are not allergic to MSG.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Is there a difference between NATURAL MSG and added MSG? (Which I reckon is artifical??)

Old 01-27-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Is there a difference between NATURAL MSG and added MSG? (Which I reckon is artifical??)
MSG is short for monosodium glutamate, or simply sodium glutamate. It is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. Glutamic acid (aka glutamate) is an amino acid, one of the most common naturally occurring ones.

As a food flavor enhancer, it is basically an extract, that's produced on a molecular scale. You can see the history of MSG right on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoso...tamate#History

The entire article is pretty helpful to anyone interested in learning a little about science and chemistry.

In summary though - there's no such thing as artificial MSG. MSG is a salt. It is, by definition, a combination of chemicals. Whether the chemicals are produced by the tomato or in a petri dish is irrelevant; glutamate is glutamate is glutamate. The salt is just the form it's in when it gets added to your food. Without the salt part of it, it's still glutamate and you're either allergic to it or you're not.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:00 AM

Thank you sweetheart,I appreacaite your time......

Something about MSG (Some property) bothers me...... Maybe cheese and tomatos do not but something surrounding MSG does.... (I dont know what which is scary)

Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Thank you sweetheart,I appreacaite your time......

Something about MSG (Some property) bothers me...... Maybe cheese and tomatos do not but something surrounding MSG does.... (I dont know what which is scary)
Hey it's an interesting phenomena, afterall. I remember when we were kids our family used to go to this one Chinese restaurant. I always got the Lobster Cantonese (can't get THAT anymore! ). And around 20 minutes after we finished eating, I'd feel a pressure in my head. Sort of a sinus pressure. No pain, no headache. Just pressure, like someone was inside my head pushing against my temples. Sinus pressure, now that I look back on it.

Back then, MSG wasn't a "thing" that people were concerned about.

Thing is though - the Chinese have been consuming this stuff for years. And Adobo seasoning, very common in South and Central American cooking, is practically mainstream now - and it contains MSG.

So I can't help but think it's not the MSG that created the Chinese Food Syndrome, as it's sometimes called. It has to be something else, and the MSG's presence in the food has to be coincidental, but not causational.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:47 AM

Yea I hear ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements