Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 PM

309 posts, read 367,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
He was an older guy - really nice actually (my 1st time seeing him) and not selling anything. Just reinforced how overall good health is a major factor in oral health. He was a proponent of D3, calcium and a good multi. He said since supplements aren't regulated, he recommends food based ones. He wasn't suggesting anyone start popping supplements, but that if you do need to - choose food based.
Mega Foods produces a good quality food-based product but their minerals are very low in relation to the RDA for each nutrient. For instance, their magnesium has only 50 mg but the RDA is set at 400 mg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
I do the oil spray. 3 in armpits. Not as itchy as on arms and feet.
Thanks. I never thought of using it there but I'll try it.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I eat 1-2 canned artichoke hearts every day and only need mag supplements if I eat too much Calcium food like cottage cheese. Epsom salts baths are also helpful. If I don't have enough Mag, I always get restless legs at night and sometimes twitching, so it's easy to tell when I need it.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:12 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I feel like ranting about the magnesium supplements that are all magnesium oxide...some stores don't have any alternatives. Yet this form of magnesium is not well absorbed by the body due to its limited water solubility.

The supplement companies really need to get their act together, people are purchasing supplements to improve their nutrition profile....not just pass it through the GI tract!
I agree, and get mine (mag glycinate) from mail order too. It's a very nice form apparently, and, if I empty a capsule into a glass of water, it 'melts' in instantly and makes a very satisfying 'mineral' water, that I especially enjoy on hot summer days.

Magnesium is very important and I just know I don't get enough of it in my diet. It's nice to have supplements as an option! And, as you say, investing in 'good ones' is important too.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:51 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Has anyone ever used the powder "Natural Calm". You mix it with water and drink it about an hour before bed. It really does have calming effect and makes me sleepy. I have it every now and then.

(I skip the mag supplements when I drink this stuff, active ingredient is mag citrate)

I recently recommended it to a woman I know who has to take extended release Ambien to sleep, and also suffers from leg cramps. She was amazed at the calming effect it had on her and her legs. She still needs to use Ambien though. It's not a miracle powder.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:33 AM

132 posts, read 181,600 times
Does using the oil cause a laxative effect? I used 400 magnesium glycinate and it went through me like a goose.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:18 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,483 times
I have never had any bowel issue with oil use. Over three years now. No more crippling calf cramping ar 2am! Yay
Ancient Minerals brand.
Four pumps in each arm pit

Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I was told magnesium citrate and mitrate were good...right?
what about mag gluconate...any problems?
I take magnesium citrate myself.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:38 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times
I agree about mag oxide. The form I take is magnesium glycinate in capsule form from Vitamin Cottage / Natural Grocers here in Denver, CO. This chain is is many areas now. Mag glycinate doesn't cause diarrhea as much as mag oxide does. It also is highly bio-available...meaning our bodies can use it very easily. I use it for sleep, taking the full dosage before bedtime....400 mg which is the daily recommended allowance for magnesium. Works like a charm most of the time. Personally, I refuse to use anything like Ambien or any of the other similar sleep meds. Ambien causes huge side effects, including hallucinations, and was only developed to be used for **** temporary *** sleep *** problems ***, maybe 2 weeks or so. Most people talk their doctors into prescribing Ambien for years. Docs are doing their patients a disservice by over-prescribing Ambien. Similar to the over-prescribing of opiods aka opiates. All the docs need to do is recommend magnesium for people with long-term sleep problems...a much kinder solution.

BTW....if you really want to know about side effects of any RX medication simply Google this phrase "patient comments about side effects of (hame of medication)". What an eye opener!!!!! I do this any time a doc wants me to take a medication, so consequently, I never take the medication they want me to take. The side effects are ALWAYS worse than the minor health condition I have. I search for the recommended holistic treatments. I always am able to find the solution. Remember this: Rx medications are CHEMICALS. Our body does not react well to chemicals. Our bodies love natural compounds made of "real food"....like magnesium.

Last edited by 'M'; 03-07-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 03:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
I agree about mag oxide. The form I take is magnesium glycinate in capsule form from Vitamin Cottage / Natural Grocers here in Denver, CO. This chain is is many areas now. Mag glycinate doesn't cause diarrhea as much as mag oxide does. It also is highly bio-available...meaning our bodies can use it very easily. I use it for sleep, taking the full dosage before bedtime....400 mg which is the daily recommended allowance for magnesium. Works like a charm most of the time. Personally, I refuse to use anything like Ambien or any of the other similar sleep meds. Ambien causes huge side effects, including hallucinations, and was only developed to be used for **** temporary *** sleep *** problems ***, maybe 2 weeks or so. Most people talk their doctors into prescribing Ambien for years. Docs are doing their patients a disservice by over-prescribing Ambien. Similar to the over-prescribing of opiods aka opiates. All the docs need to do is recommend magnesium for people with long-term sleep problems...a much kinder solution.

BTW....if you really want to know about side effects of any RX medication simply Google this phrase "patient comments about side effects of (hame of medication)". What an eye opener!!!!! I do this any time a doc wants me to take a medication, so consequently, I never take the medication they want me to take. The side effects are ALWAYS worse than the minor health condition I have. I search for the recommended holistic treatments. I always am able to find the solution. Remember this: Rx medications are CHEMICALS. Our body does not react well to chemicals. Our bodies love natural compounds made of "real food"....like magnesium.
It's been absolutely amazing for me. It's like I'd taken a couple of chill out pills except I don't feel like I'm in a fog. And the mood shifts are almost gone. Mostly I take only half the dose, during the day and forget the last two. Sleep isn't a problem for me, but I'll have to start taking the full amount.

The thing I find even more amazing is the sense of calm, even when something happens which is worrysome or problematic. I tend to go into emergency mode when stuff happens, and usually it gets over. But sometimes it doesn't. I learned before one way is to not paralize yourself by seeing no way out by letting fears take over. If you can detach from the fear, then you can see options and remedies and have a realistic sense of how likely it is to begin with. You can take it apart and the huge scary monster may only be shadow of your own collected experience. But if there is something that needs attention, your MIND is clear enough to deal with it.

Perscription meds say they do this, but often they also dull the mind or just zone you out, and that just makes it worse. I wish years ago I'd known about magnesium over meds and how powerful the effect, without the murky feelings. I think I might have made different decisions a few times which would have been better than the drug induced zone out provided.

I wish *doctors* knew enough about nutrition to suggest non pharma solutions to patients who do not wish to take the alternate, at least as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements