Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 02:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

A person on another group I'm a member of said she had her best night's sleep last night...she started on high dose of Deplin which is a food based script made of Methylfolate which I've been taking for years. The Methylf is part of homocysteine formula I take. I buy Methylfolate otc and she deals with the scripts. One has to make sure they have sufficient B12 with this MethylF.

This person found out she has the MTHFR mutation gene. There is a lot of talk about this mutation and I wasn't tested for it, but the Methylfolate is a big part of the remedy. My stuff is to lower homocysteine.

Maybe you are all aware of this MTHFR mutation issue.

So what I'm saying, we all have different things we're taking and our bodies have various stuff in them. And all this I'm sure affects our sleep.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-06-2016 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 04:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
LOL, poor thing. I remember some medication made me stupid and hyper. Worst combination EVER.

Have you tried trazadone? Stuff would knock me out, absolutely black sleep (which I don't like), but I had to stop taking it because of dry mouth with the combo of my other drugs.

My husband hates it, says he is groggy all the next day. It's script, but low side effects. I hate going without sleep.
Funny how things react differently for everyone. Yep, I tried trazadone. Couldn't tolerate the side effects though--the next day I'd be shaky and have that dry mouth and feel sick

The one thing that has always worked for me is clonopin. I have a love/hate relationship with clonopin. I don't want to take it but it really does work. Strangely that's the one drug that almost always works for people like me who have chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't know why. Trouble with clonopin is, you build up a tolerance--I can take it for a few nights but after that I'd have to increase the dose and I don't want to ever do that.

I wish gaba had worked.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:48 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
Trazadone didn't work for me either. And as with all anti depressants so far made my scalp feel tight and weird, although not as much as others. I also get a dull roar going in my left ear which takes forever to go away after I stop.

Still not sleeping here.

Last edited by Giesela; 03-12-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,656 times
For those that fall asleep easily but wake up 3-4 or so hours later and cannot go back, for me I just get up and pour 2-3 oz whiskey and sip for about 15-20 minutes. Relax, Be patient. Avoid beer because you will wake too soon having to pee!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
I have tried every over the counter sleep aid to no avail. I started using natural progesterone cream each night, and I sleep like a baby.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 AM

Checking back in. Still taking 5-HTP and vitamin shoppe's Snooze Light because, what the heck I guess. I think the valerian root or something does make me dream which I hadn't been for a long time. I actually sort of feel like I'm dreaming even though I'm not sleeping, but I like it because its not my brain, fully awake, thinking normal daytime thoughts, you know, grinding away at all the things that worry or bother. Like my brain is getting a little bit of a break whether its sleeping or not. Realized something interesting. I only dream when I'm on my left side.

i'm not sure I mentioned my trial of Ambien. First I tried the generic, didn't really seem to do a lot so I convinced my health insurance to let me try the brand name (super expensive holy cow). Maybe slightly better. Tried for about 4 days then thought I'd take a break. Anyway at some point I went into work and walking down the maze of hallways to my office I stopped short and tried to get into the wrong office. Looked around, saw a stairwell where it should be and felt soo f'ing confused and lost for a full 15 or 20 seconds. Just where am I? Like I knew I was at work and all but was freaked out by the fact that I didn't know why I wasn't at the right office door. I don't know that it was the Ambien but elected to stop it considering it wasn't really knocking me out anyway.

I've been using Snooze Lab, an app on my phone every night. It records heavy snoring. Yep I snore, exactly when I think I sleep. In fact it has exactly reinforced what I've been saying my sleep patterns are. Take a little while to fall asleep, sleep hard for an hour or so (probably about a 90 min cycle if I'm lucky) wake for awhile, fall asleep but more lightly and not as long, repeat this pattern of decreased sleep time and lighter sleep throughout the night. Shows up with the snoring exactly. Heavy loud snoring from 10-11 and then less and less. It will give you a sleep amount time but I don't know how accurate it is. According to it I get about 1 and a half to 2 and half hours a night. A few nights ago I got 3 and about cried. I probably get more if its al based on snoring. I assume I don't snore every time I sleep? And I'm not hearing any sleep apenea stops.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
OTC Nytol (Diphenhydramine) and some decent GNC Meletonin and if you really need to get some sleep or have to sleep off some Jetlag then take some take as needed Rx Ambien or Lunesta but only takje them if you really need drug induced sleep from Rx Hypnotics otherwise they lose the effect if you take them more the a few times a week to get to sleep.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A person on another group I'm a member of said she had her best night's sleep last night...she started on high dose of Deplin which is a food based script made of Methylfolate which I've been taking for years. The Methylf is part of homocysteine formula I take. I buy Methylfolate otc and she deals with the scripts. One has to make sure they have sufficient B12 with this MethylF.

This person found out she has the MTHFR mutation gene. There is a lot of talk about this mutation and I wasn't tested for it, but the Methylfolate is a big part of the remedy. My stuff is to lower homocysteine.

Maybe you are all aware of this MTHFR mutation issue.

So what I'm saying, we all have different things we're taking and our bodies have various stuff in them. And all this I'm sure affects our sleep.
Sounds interesting but I have no idea what your talking about. What is a script? A prescription?

Old 04-30-2016, 11:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Yes a script is a prescription..short for the long word. Many are finding they have this MTHFR mutation issue and finding a new life with the Methylfolate and B12 and this woman I'm talking about spent years on anti depressant drugs and now is feeling a new life with her Deplin. I don't take Deplin but do take methyfolate and B12 as I'm taking it to lower homocysteine levels. Look up MTHFR mutation and see what it can cause.

I did not take the MTHFR test as I'm not depressed as I got other issues fixed and sleep good with my sleep remedy.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes a script is a prescription..short for the long word. Many are finding they have this MTHFR mutation issue and finding a new life with the Methylfolate and B12 and this woman I'm talking about spent years on anti depressant drugs and now is feeling a new life with her Deplin. I don't take Deplin but do take methyfolate and B12 as I'm taking it to lower homocysteine levels. Look up MTHFR mutation and see what it can cause.

I did not take the MTHFR test as I'm not depressed as I got other issues fixed and sleep good with my sleep remedy.
What does the MTHFR test entail?

I have a mental block about genetic testing in general, but I do lot of medical journal research for my job and it is beginning to appear that all roads lead in this direction (at least for most medical conditions).

I have long suspected that our genes dictate how we metabolize drugs in general, which is why so many drugs that work for some (exg. Celebrex the wonder-drug, life-changing NSAID does absolutely nothing for me) do not work for others. I have catalog of stories from depressed friends who spent months or even years trying to find the right combo of ADs to treat their conditions. It was basically shooting darts until something worked.

Is methyl folate (the effective kind) prescription-only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements