Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 01:39 PM

105 posts, read 90,667 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been having dizziness, heavy fatigue, and big dark circles under my eyes.

My doctor saw my blood work and said that I lack the folic acid.

But didn't ask her if that is causing me to have dark circles.

So can lack of folic acid cause dark circles, fatigue, and dizziness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 02:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Do a search with your questions. Dark circles can be caused by many issues. I take a good amount of methylfolate (best form of folic acid) as I've studied this issue. We need folic acid and or methylfolate. Many with the gene mutation MTHFR are very low in folic and that's a whole other story on this mutation. This gene mutation has people wide open for more health issues one being depression.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:36 PM

9 posts, read 20,808 times
I agree with jaminhealth. I will also add that the B vitamins work together as a team. A deficiency (or excess) in one can lead to a reversal in another. B-12 and folate in particular have this relationship. Find a balanced B complex vitamin, preferably with the "methyl" forms. That way you can ensure that you won't be deficient. Leafy green veggies are a great source of natural folate.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:05 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Yes. What you are describing can be symptoms of anemia. It sounds like your doc may have diagnosed you with one type of anemia that can be due to low levels of folic acid (ie. megaloblastic). She/he will likely investigate the cause of your deficiency first (ex. diet, other health conditions, interfering medications) & then likely recommend supplementation.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:10 AM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjobs View Post
Lately I've been having dizziness, heavy fatigue, and big dark circles under my eyes.

My doctor saw my blood work and said that I lack the folic acid.

But didn't ask her if that is causing me to have dark circles.

So can lack of folic acid cause dark circles, fatigue, and dizziness?
These are the common symptoms of folate deficiency:

Quote:
Hemolytic and megaloblastic anemia, low energy,
abnormal fetal development (neural tube defect),
higher homocysteine levels / vascular degeneration,
mental disorders, confusion, forgetfulness, insomnia,
irritability, depression, cervical dysplasia, higher risk
to develop some cancers, high blood pressure.
B-Complex Vitamins: Requirements, Health Benefits, Stress Supplements

You have to click on "page 2" at the bottom to find the symptoms of deficiency for the B vitamins, and also the RDA for them.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfldsteve View Post
I agree with jaminhealth. I will also add that the B vitamins work together as a team. A deficiency (or excess) in one can lead to a reversal in another. B-12 and folate in particular have this relationship. Find a balanced B complex vitamin, preferably with the "methyl" forms. That way you can ensure that you won't be deficient. Leafy green veggies are a great source of natural folate.
Yes, this. I would look for a whole-foods vitamin B complex since the symptoms are overlapping on some of them. The dizziness can be from lack of B2 or B6, while the fatigue can be caused by lack of the other B vitamins. I take Garden of Life organic b-complex and am happy with it.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 10,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Yes. What you are describing can be symptoms of anemia. It sounds like your doc may have diagnosed you with one type of anemia that can be due to low levels of folic acid (ie. megaloblastic). She/he will likely investigate the cause of your deficiency first (ex. diet, other health conditions, interfering medications) & then likely recommend supplementation.
i think you're right.
B9 vitamin is really necessary for our orginism. the lack of it may lead no only to dark cirkes, but also to low rate of hemoglobin, phisical weakness etc.
to the autor: when I had such problems, I bought vitamin set and after 1-1.5 month I felt better, had more energy. I recently received a coupon for internet store, too new to make recommendations
I have been using vitamins for 3 month already and feel great. finally I forget about dizziness every time I get up

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-06-2017 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: deleted URL

Old 04-23-2017, 07:20 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
Your symptoms could also be an allergic reaction to the Folic Acid.
I'm one that cannot take it because of an allergic reaction.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
I think this is a case where the commenters are not going to be able to effectively help the Original Poster because the truth is, as some of your feedback has shown, dark circles can be caused by a myriad of reasons/conditions. Since none of us know you personally or your comprehensive medical condition, it is really just guessing.

I would recommend you call your physician and ask him/her. If the physician is the one who diagnosed a low folate level, he or she should be able to provide commentary on the likelihood of the dark circles being caused by a folate (or, folic acid) depletion.

Moreover, since you will likely be taking folic acid supplements to increase your folate (folic acid) stores, you will be able to see a direct correlation on if your dark circles improve or not.

As a genuine guess, I would think perhaps you may not sleep well? If so, that would be a significant contributor to the look of dark circles under the eyes. However, admittedly that is a pure guess, and you'd best be served by making this inquiry with your doctor who diagnosed the condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements