Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM

40 posts, read 315,683 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, many of us have busy lives where we cannot spend time in the sun every day. Especially during the winter time, when I work the light hours. I think a good Vitamin D supplement or a multi-vitamin containing it is definitely in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times
I like the "nordic" sun intensity.
I dislike the harsh low latitude sun intensity.
It is very important to spend time outside during the winter when the daylight hours are shorter. This is significant at higher latitudes when the sunset is around 4PM during winter.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,562,142 times
Thought i'd add this story i just read on Medscape about if people raised their Vit-D levels it could lower Breast Cancer by 50% and Colorectal Cancer by 75%.

Link works.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,307,480 times
I was reading an article in Body + Soul magazine yesterday that mentioned soaking up the sunshine.
They did a study and found that light skinned participants who spent a lot of time in the sun had about half the risk of developing advanced breast cancer. The reduced risk was because of the vitamin D brought on by the sun. The sun produces less vitamin D for those with olive or darker skin tones and they should strive to get more sun or to take more Vitamin D supplements.
If that's the case, I have fair skin and I soaked up a lot of sun in the 70's when I was a kid and teenager with the crisco all over my body. LOL
Maybe I'm so full of sunshine now, I can stop with the vitamin D oil I take.
On the other hand, that much foolishness has produced a skin cancer on my back I had to have removed. So moderation is the key word.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,965,453 times
hguru wrote:
Unfortunately, many of us have busy lives where we cannot spend time in the sun every day. Especially during the winter time, when I work the light hours. I think a good Vitamin D supplement or a multi-vitamin containing it is definitely in order.

John Harricharan who said this:
[FONT='Georgia','serif']“Most people are so busy trying to make a living, they forget to make a life.”[/font]
[FONT='Georgia','serif']He’s right. Most people are ‘human doings’ instead of ‘human beings’[/font]

Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 AM

hguru wrote:

John Harricharan who said this:
[FONT='Georgia','serif']“Most people are so busy trying to make a living, they forget to make a life.”[/font]
[FONT='Georgia','serif']He’s right. Most people are ‘human doings’ instead of ‘human beings’[/font]

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 AM

hguru wrote:
Your words bring to mind, this quote from author John Harricharan
“Most people are so busy trying to make a living, they forget to make a life. Most people are ‘human doings’ instead of ‘human beings’”

Old 02-23-2008, 08:32 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,493,838 times
15 minutes a day is enough for a light-skinned caucasian. How much you need depends on your skin tone. My son is adopted from Africa, and I read quite a bit on this. He needs about 3 hours a day to get enough vitamin D. He would get that in Africa, but he doesn't get it where we live now. Apparently there is very high Vitamin D deficiency rates in black people in the U.S. b/c not only are they not outside enough to get enough Vitamin D but the whole dermatology industry has convinced them they too should be wearing sunscreen. So now if they're otu for an hour and they're wearing sunscreen, they're getting the equivalent of about 5 minutes of sun instead of 3 hours.

Personally I believe that sunscreen is the cause of a lot of skin cancer. If you look at the research, skin cancer rates have gone up and up as sunscreen rates have. We stay out way too long now b/c we feel safe w/our sunscreen on. I really think it we build up, without burning, to time in the sun, we are fine. If we start to burn--go inside or cover up. Our bodies are very good at telling us everything we need to know, if we will just listen. Burning? Go in. Tanning? You can stay out.

Smothering ourselves and our babies with chemicals every single day so we can stay out longer? That does not sound like a good idea to me. I rarely put sunscreen on me or my kids. I make sure they aren't burning. If we're going to be on a boat or something all day then I'll have them wear sun shirts and hats and put some sunscreen on their faces, but that's it.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 PM

hey Frog, you might be interested in reading these old related threads:

More sun is healthy!

News, ‘Sunblock’ claims to be outlawed.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,661,760 times
I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for info on Vit D and saw the post about sunlight hitting the eyes and how that stimulates the the brain to produce good hormones or some such thing and it reminded me to mention also that sunlight hitting the eyes accelerates the development of cataracts. So, take your pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements