Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

A really good article in Scientic American about the power of Sunshine and Vitamin D. It's so powerful that it has the unique ability to turn on and off Genes in the Genome that cause many diseases. Some of them are Inflammation, Multiple Sclerosis, Osteoporosis, IBS, and certrain Cancers.
Cell Defenses and the Sunshine Vitamin: Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 01:45 PM

40 posts, read 316,086 times
There is no doubt that Vitamin D supplements are hot at the moment. It seems like I see articles every week about the benefits..

Old 02-19-2008, 03:54 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Vitamin D is one of the best for all kinds of things.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
The pillmakers would have you believe otherwise, but a processed vitamin D supplement is simply vitamin D, whereas Sunshine vitamin D comes directly from being outdoors in the sunlight. Sunshine vitamin D is vastly superior to mere vitamin D. It's the real thing!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM

40 posts, read 316,086 times
All in moderation. For those who spend too much time in the sun, you get skin cancer.

Vitamin D Supplements have their place. There is lots of research being done, and it has helped lots of people. It is not the answer for everything though.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
hguru wrote:
All in moderation. For those who spend too much time in the sun, you get skin cancer.
Not necessarily. Getting cancer is not directly related to how much time a person spends in the sun. If you gradually build up exposure to the sun and never allow yourself to get burnt, you reach a point where you can SAFELY be exposed for many hours. It also helps to avoid exposure between the hours of 10AM and 2PM during the summer.

On the other hand, someone might get burnt in just 15 minutes IF their first exposure of the year is at high noon on July 4th. Common Sense is even more important than moderation.

I encourage everyone to throw away your vitamin D pills and spend some time in the sun...but use common sense and moderation.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I take the vitamin D oil daily just in case I don't get enough sunshine. I heard somewhere that as long as you get 15 minutes in the sunlight that you are getting enough D.
Depending on where a person lives determines on whether or not they get enough sunshine.
I take it just to make sure.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
I personally love to just sit out in the sunshine if I am not feeling that great. I just got over having the worst flu in my life, and while I was sick, I would go out and sit in the sun for 30 mins or so and it made me feel so much better. I havent taken any of the pills though.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 AM

498 posts, read 1,519,520 times
Smile Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
A really good article in Scientic American about the power of Sunshine and Vitamin D. It's so powerful that it has the unique ability to turn on and off Genes in the Genome that cause many diseases. Some of them are Inflammation, Multiple Sclerosis, Osteoporosis, IBS, and certrain Cancers.
Cell Defenses and the Sunshine Vitamin: Scientific American
Hi 6 FOOT 3, How have you been? Isn't this funny about the sun. We are so warned to stay out of it. Yes, I have always known that the sun is good for a human being because of the vitamins, but I did not realize how much more it actually helps in our bodies.

That is some great info.. I feel sorry for the people who get depressed during the winter time. Thanks for the good info.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Hi 6 FOOT 3, How have you been? Isn't this funny about the sun. We are so warned to stay out of it. Yes, I have always known that the sun is good for a human being because of the vitamins, but I did not realize how much more it actually helps in our bodies.

That is some great info.. I feel sorry for the people who get depressed during the winter time. Thanks for the good info.
Hey UNITE......enjoying the sun !!

I also either read in a health book or magazine several years back about that the light from the sun when striking our eyes has the ability to stimulate the Pituitary Gland in our Brain which fires up Growth Hormone in our body and also helps in the releasing of Endorphins which give us a natural HIGH .

Take Care !!
6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements