Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:22 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Yeah, about 50 years worth.
Can you link to this research, please? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 12:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Can you link to this research, please? Thanks!
This physician does a pretty good job of wading through lots of the research. Almost all of what he discusses is backed by research that he cites, although I'm sure he cherry picks some of it to support his views. It is a good starting point and you can use the articles that he cites to look at the original research yourself.

NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

Here's a vid that cites some of the studies showing the differences between actual food vs. supplements.

Some Dietary Supplements May Be More Than a Waste of Money | NutritionFacts.org

Old 11-11-2016, 01:45 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Acetaminophen is the leading cause of liver damage. It's found in strong painkillers like Percocet.

Weight-loss drugs like Fen-Phen.

Yes and its been clinically tested and it tells you right there on the bottle regarding the amount and the damage vs supplements which tell you jack. But go on pretending an equivalency.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
The people in these areas of the world have the highest rates of longevity with the lowest rates of chronic disease.
  • Icaria, Greece
  • Acciaroli, Italy
  • Okinawa, Japan
  • Sardinia, Italy
  • Seventh-day Adventists- Loma Linda, Calif
  • Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica
They get all of their nutrients from foods and they don't take supplements, yet their elderly live longer and healthier than any other people in the world.

The supplement mongers are really not that different from the Pharma mongers. They are both looking for the quick miracle fix.

The closest there is to a miracle fix is real food.

The supplement business is a huge multi-billion dollar business. One of the biggest snake-oil frauds of our time. Just under 40 billion USD per year for things which are in large part entirely unnecessary.

Plus they do not do any clinical testing and have no obligation to list side effects (which they don't even know because they don't test).

So many dupes.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The supplement business is a huge multi-billion dollar business. One of the biggest snake-oil frauds of our time. Just under 40 billion USD per year for things which are in large part entirely unnecessary.

Plus they do not do any clinical testing and have no obligation to list side effects (which they don't even know because they don't test).

So many dupes.
What is sad is that many of the people being duped are older and are the least able to afford it, both in terms of their financial resources and their physical capabilities to fight the harmful effects.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:35 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes and its been clinically tested and it tells you right there on the bottle regarding the amount and the damage vs supplements which tell you jack. But go on pretending an equivalency.
Yes, I've noted here the lack of warnings on supplements. Drugs also have that problem. Acetaminophen has been available over-the-counter for a long time also. How long did it take before the warnings were added, in the last five years? How long did they wait to put the warnings on Lipitor and other statins for problems that were showing up 10 years earlier? Why did they wait till the drug went generic?

On the other hand, drugs can be habit-forming or addictive, the most obvious being prescription painkillers. Hence, we were cautious when the doctor prescribed Percocet after a hip fracture. Supplements generally don't have that problem.

Last edited by lchoro; 11-12-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 11-20-2016, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,570 times
For those out there who lean towards food vs supplements, I saute gently onions, red pepper and garlic in olive or coconut oil., and whatever seasonings you prefer.
Then add 1 bag of spinach a little at a time, and another bag of kale and and cook very low heat for about 5 minutes. Then I stick it in frig. when cool. I have a weeks worth of calcium and magnesium, Vit A to eat with my meals for a week. I never got used to salads.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 5,570 times
Default In the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If one has the luxury of a garden, how wonderful. My grandparents had them, parents for awhile and in my adult life never a garden here. For me getting to a farmer's market is a difficult task since I don't walk well now. As I've said there are many many experiences out there. So many just don't want to walk in other's shoes for even a moment.
I have difficulty too. I discovered 2 or 3 farmers who will deliver to your door their fresh produce, or some deliver to locations close by where you can pic-up. But I know the state we moved from did not have such a system.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASANDRA62 View Post
I have difficulty too. I discovered 2 or 3 farmers who will deliver to your door their fresh produce, or some deliver to locations close by where you can pic-up. But I know the state we moved from did not have such a system.
Not many farmers here in this city, farmer's markets a couple and then one can buy and have delivered produce, but that is a slight luxury and more money. I just made a soup from Progresso and add a bunch of sauteed spinach, onions and garlic to it, all cooked in coconut oil. I'm doing the best I'm able too.

I use good foods and supplements.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:09 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Gee, I hope you guys aren't loosing too much sleep over this!!

I mean it's nice that you have such concern for 'the other guy' buying "useless" (or, GASP!, dangerous!) supplements -- but as for me, I know I don't eat right, and so I do purchase ("quality" -- is there such a thing in your mind? LOL) supplements - and I actually notice benefits (or maybe it's all in my mind ).

For example, I've seen incontinence resolved with progesterone (as well as bone density increased!!). I've seen a knee hitch resolved with glucosamine; sciatic nerve pain resolved with quality (plant-based) oils, Zicam ward off flu bugs, and the list goes on. I take an enzyme supplement -- because yogurt (available at stores) is pretty useless. Etc, etc.

At 40 BILLION $$$ a year, and with peeps *not* keeling over in the streets, I would consider that not a huge or noticeable problem, considering -- right? I wonder, what is the amount spend on soda drinks annually??

So, I suggest, take some melatonin (eeek!) and have a nice night's sleep!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements