Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 04:43 AM

282 posts, read 232,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It would be great if that's true for humans too! I just checked my new cal/mag and it does contain the form of K2 that you mention. Now if only someone could finally figure out how much we need and of WHAT. These vitamin quotas always seem to be changing. Also, if we could get tested to see if we really need it--and how much. Statistics are just statistics. The exact dosage would vary from person to person.
Someone has figured it out. Vitamin K (in its entirety, not broken down) has an RDA. For adults over 19 years old, that RDA is 90 micrograms for women, and 120 micrograms for men. The RDA = recommended daily allowance.

That means your total intake of foods and supplements, combined, should be around those numbers.

If you consume a half cup of boiled, cut up broccoli in a day, you go over your RDA. If you want to get, say, 100 mc in a single meal, here's an idea of how:

To start: A side-salad made with 1/2 cup iceberg lettuce, 1/2 cup raw spinach leaves, 2 tablespoons ceasar dressing.

Entree: 3 ounces broiled chicken breast stir-fried with soybean oil, cashews, and broccoli.

To drink: a smoothie made with carrot juice as the base liquid.

That's over 100 micrograms of vitamin K, in a single meal. No need to supplement at all unless you've been diagnosed with a deficiency!

Remember with foods you don't absorb K as efficiently, so you have to go over the RDA in order to absorb the actual RDA. Approximately 50% So for men, that'd be around 240micrograms per day, total, to get the 120 RDA.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I tried supplementing with vitamin K (after magnesium and vitamin D3, the latter doctor-prescribed, turned out to be helpful). I started getting an odd fluttering in my ear, as well as at times hearing what sounded like a plane engine starting up. I think this was all something happening physically in the ear, not a neurologically caused hallucination. Anyway, I found it very distracting and annoying when I was trying to sleep, so I discontinued the K.

(I am not a senior citizen, although I am old enough that AARP is courting me.)

Old 11-21-2017, 10:03 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Someone has figured it out. Vitamin K (in its entirety, not broken down) has an RDA. For adults over 19 years old, that RDA is 90 micrograms for women, and 120 micrograms for men. The RDA = recommended daily allowance.

That means your total intake of foods and supplements, combined, should be around those numbers.

If you consume a half cup of boiled, cut up broccoli in a day, you go over your RDA. If you want to get, say, 100 mc in a single meal, here's an idea of how:

To start: A side-salad made with 1/2 cup iceberg lettuce, 1/2 cup raw spinach leaves, 2 tablespoons ceasar dressing.

Entree: 3 ounces broiled chicken breast stir-fried with soybean oil, cashews, and broccoli.

To drink: a smoothie made with carrot juice as the base liquid.

That's over 100 micrograms of vitamin K, in a single meal. No need to supplement at all unless you've been diagnosed with a deficiency!

Remember with foods you don't absorb K as efficiently, so you have to go over the RDA in order to absorb the actual RDA. Approximately 50% So for men, that'd be around 240micrograms per day, total, to get the 120 RDA.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/
If you read what I said, I said that (1) these vitamin quotas always seem to be changing (as new studies come out) and (2) I wish they could somehow figure out what it is for each person individually.

The RDA is just a general estimate. Anyone can look it up as you did.

There are plenty of people who could eat X amount of a vitamin in their meal but not absorb a lot of it. There are people who need more and people who need less for various reasons.

As I generally do not believe in taking a supplement unless a test shows that it is necessary, I said I wish we could actually pinpoint the amount each individual needs. Just dreaming, but the RDA is very general, some vitamins cannot be even measured in the body, many people have absorption issues, and wouldn't it be great if we could each really be certain 100% of how much we need to take.

We are discussing K2 in particular. And if it could be proven that the correct form of K2 could really reverse calcification in the arteries, it would be very beneficial to know how much a particular person would need to take for that to happen. More research is needed.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
It would be great if that's true for humans too! I just checked my new cal/mag and it does contain the form of K2 that you mention. Now if only someone could finally figure out how much we need and of WHAT. These vitamin quotas always seem to be changing. Also, if we could get tested to see if we really need it--and how much. Statistics are just statistics. The exact dosage would vary from person to person.
With my D3 I take daily, I take 100mcg K2. This is what my friends take also.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I tried supplementing with vitamin K (after magnesium and vitamin D3, the latter doctor-prescribed, turned out to be helpful). I started getting an odd fluttering in my ear, as well as at times hearing what sounded like a plane engine starting up. I think this was all something happening physically in the ear, not a neurologically caused hallucination. Anyway, I found it very distracting and annoying when I was trying to sleep, so I discontinued the K.

Strange, never had that issue and I've been taking extra K2 for a couple yrs. Count more heavily on foods for K.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post

Are you taking K or K2? We're talking about K2 which is thought to be helpful with calcium absorption.

Vitamin K doesn't usually need to be supplemented.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:30 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Vitamin K | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

See the section on K2 supplementation.

At this point the studies done with K2 and bone have often used very high doses of K2: milligram, not microgram, doses. That means that K2 is being used as a medication, not a supplement.

"Another one-year, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in 365 healthy American postmenopausal women with vitamin K inadequacy (undercarboxylated osteocalcin ≥4%) found that neither supplemental high-dose phylloquinone (1,000 μg/day) nor MK-4 (45 mg/day) had an effect on serum markers of bone turnover or on BMD (lumbar spine and hip) when compared to placebo (66). In this study, all the subjects also received daily, open-label calcium (630 mg) and vitamin D3 (400 IU)."

"Linus Pauling Institute Recommendation
It is not clear whether the AI for vitamin K is enough to optimize the γ-carboxylation of vitamin K-dependent proteins in bone (see Osteoporosis). To consume the amount of vitamin K associated with a decreased risk of hip fracture in the Framingham Heart Study (about 250 μg/day) (44), an individual would need to eat a little more than ½ cup of chopped broccoli or a large salad of mixed greens every day. Though the dietary intake of vitamin K required for optimal function of all vitamin K-dependent proteins is not yet known, the Linus Pauling Institute recommends taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement and eating at least one cup of dark green leafy vegetables daily. Replacing dietary saturated fats like butter and cheese with monounsaturated fats found in olive oil and canola oil will increase dietary vitamin K intake and may decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Older adults (>50 years)
Because older adults are at increased risk of osteoporosis and hip fracture, the above recommendation for a multivitamin/mineral supplement and at least one cup of dark green leafy vegetables daily is especially relevant."

By the way, "vitamin K" refers to all of the forms of vitamin K. K2 is a subset of vitamin K.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 PM

No one knows the exact amount of K2 that is needed to maintain balance. Of course, no one really is 100% sure of the right amount of calcium for any particular person either. More research is necessary but it's a good start.

I found this study interesting too:

The study revealed that high dietary intake of vitamin K2—at least 32 mcg per day, with no intake of vitamin K1, was associated with a 50% reduction in death from cardiovascular issues related to arterial calcification and a 25% reduction in all-cause mortality.

a high intake of natural vitamin K2 (ie, not synthetic K2, but not of vitamin K1) was associated with protection against cardiovascular events. For every 10 mcg of dietary vitamin K2 consumed in the forms of menaquinone 7 (MK-7), menaquinone 8 (MK-8), and menaquinone 9 (MK-9), the risk of coronary heart disease was reduced by 9%.

A study on 564 postmenopausal women also revealed that intake of vitamin K2 was associated with decreased coronary calcification, whereas intake of vitamin K1 was not.

Also mentions a Norwegian study using 180 mcg of K-2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566462/

The article also states that most Americans are not getting enough in their diets anymore.

One variable that they didn't discuss in their studies of calcium is the type of calcium the participants were taking. I know that some on this forum have expressed the concern that calcium is deposited in the arteries when the calcium isn't in an absorbable form--that the body simply doesn't know what to do with it. It's known that forms like oyster shell calcium aren't well absorbed, for instance.

Also, how much calcium are these people taking in the first place? Were they taking magnesium too? How about D3?

The study concludes that supplementing with calcium is beneficial but outcomes of high calcium supplementation are controversial. The addition of K2 could well be the answer to the problem.

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-21-2017 at 10:25 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Are you taking K or K2? We're talking about K2 which is thought to be helpful with calcium absorption.

Vitamin K doesn't usually need to be supplemented.
It was vitamin K, so maybe I bought the wrong stuff.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:18 AM

279 posts, read 544,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
She knows about the blood thinner she takes and K2 connection, and she "teaches" her Kaiser docs what she knows...she's been in supplements LONG before me and taught me so much, so much of what I know...but she ended up with afib and I've mentioned why she thinks and why I think also.

My friend changed blood thinner meds so she could take K2 with the D3. She and MD did the research to do this. This is an explanation:

Vitamin K and Blood Thinners: What’s the Story? – Home & Family

Where is her "degree" from? Please, Dr Oz sells whatever company is paying him to hock their products....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements