Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 5,830 times

Advertisements

This marks the first time I've made a comment on a forum. Not sure how this is going to come across to people, but here I go. I'm a middle-aged man who had, and still has an unusual passion for weight training. I was a competitive powerlifter during the 80's and managed to win a couple of state championships and to place in the top five of two national championships. That was over 30 years ago and believe me, I'm paying for it now. To put it bluntly, I'm pretty much a train wreck from the hips down. I've tried EVERYTHING. Glucosamine, Chondroitin, pounds and pounds of MSM, DMSO, SAMe; and every one of those compounds I gave at least six month trials. I may as well have been mixing Kool Aid in the water or popping M & M's. I don't know what the hell it is about my body, but when pain decided to take up residence in any part of my anatomy, it was there for good.
Now I don't imagine that a good amount of people on this forum have done any back squats with 650+ pounds on their backs or have done any deadlifts with 670 to 700 pounds. I know now that the sport of powerlifting, done for any appreciable length of time, is bad news for the joints, but had anyone tried to tell me that at the time I was in the middle of it, I'd have thought they were either plain jealous or they didn't know what they were talking about. I surely wish that person would've have come along because every time I get out of bed in the morning, it's a new adventure in pain; knees and hips both. I've looked at synvisc one injections, partial and whole knee replacements, and stem cell treatment, but the cost is terribly unreasonable. Knee replacements in the U.S. are forty-thousand dollars average. This might be an absurd statement, but it didn't cost me forty-thousand dollars to get this much pain; in fact I got it for free. Why does it have to cost so damn much to get rid of it? If anyone has any suggestions that I haven't listed, I'd sure like to hear them. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 04:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,693,646 times
What did your physician and/or orthopedic surgeon suggest?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:04 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,052,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everinpain53 View Post
This marks the first time I've made a comment on a forum. Not sure how this is going to come across to people, but here I go. I'm a middle-aged man who had, and still has an unusual passion for weight training. I was a competitive powerlifter during the 80's and managed to win a couple of state championships and to place in the top five of two national championships. That was over 30 years ago and believe me, I'm paying for it now. To put it bluntly, I'm pretty much a train wreck from the hips down. I've tried EVERYTHING. Glucosamine, Chondroitin, pounds and pounds of MSM, DMSO, SAMe; and every one of those compounds I gave at least six month trials. I may as well have been mixing Kool Aid in the water or popping M & M's. I don't know what the hell it is about my body, but when pain decided to take up residence in any part of my anatomy, it was there for good.
Now I don't imagine that a good amount of people on this forum have done any back squats with 650+ pounds on their backs or have done any deadlifts with 670 to 700 pounds. I know now that the sport of powerlifting, done for any appreciable length of time, is bad news for the joints, but had anyone tried to tell me that at the time I was in the middle of it, I'd have thought they were either plain jealous or they didn't know what they were talking about. I surely wish that person would've have come along because every time I get out of bed in the morning, it's a new adventure in pain; knees and hips both. I've looked at synvisc one injections, partial and whole knee replacements, and stem cell treatment, but the cost is terribly unreasonable. Knee replacements in the U.S. are forty-thousand dollars average. This might be an absurd statement, but it didn't cost me forty-thousand dollars to get this much pain; in fact I got it for free. Why does it have to cost so damn much to get rid of it? If anyone has any suggestions that I haven't listed, I'd sure like to hear them. Thank you.
The best supplement for you would be curcumin. It is from the spice turmeric.

Natural Remedies: The Benefits of Turmeric | Muscle & Fitness

Old 08-02-2015, 07:41 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,537,679 times
If you are that damaged, I don't think any supplement will help. You already tried glucosamine and chondroiton. Those are the main supplements that could have helped. Turmeric is supposed to be for inflammation but I don't think it would help too much.

People have knee replacements all the time, it seems, especially as they get into their old age. You got it young due to what you did to your body, unfortunately. With so many people getting knee replacements, there must be a way to pay for it unless these people are on Medicare and Medicare covers it more cheaply.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What did your physician and/or orthopedic surgeon suggest?
The last orthopaedic surgeon I saw suggested a partial knee replacement. However, as I've been suffering with osteoarthritis for the last 10 years, I've had to adjust my gait, which has affected my opposite hip. It's a matter of money. I have insurance, but like all health insurances, I have to pay the deductible and then 20 per cent afterwards. Looks like I'll be riding the pain train for quite some time more.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 PM

286 posts, read 261,593 times
A lot of it can be helped with the RIGHT type of massage. Claire Davies's TRIGGERPOINT MASSAGE THERAPY is where you start. Amazing stuff

.https://www.painscience.com/articles/self-massage.php

regardless of what you may think, it's not ALL in your joints. it's stress on tendons, caused by miniature charley horses in the muscles.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you are that damaged, I don't think any supplement will help. You already tried glucosamine and chondroiton. Those are the main supplements that could have helped. Turmeric is supposed to be for inflammation but I don't think it would help too much.

People have knee replacements all the time, it seems, especially as they get into their old age. You got it young due to what you did to your body, unfortunately. With so many people getting knee replacements, there must be a way to pay for it unless these people are on Medicare and Medicare covers it more cheaply.
I'm still too young for medicare. I have health insurance, but like most plans, I have to pay the deductible and then 20 per cent afterwards. Money is the main obstacle and always has been. I've looked into having surgery done overseas where it's cheaper than here in the states. It's still on the table as a viable option. Thank you for your input.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everinpain53 View Post
After a couple days of consideration, I've opted to give Synvisc a try. At least I'll have a few months of pain relief before I set up an appointment for a knee replacement. Thanks to all for your input.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Ya reckon?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,989,006 times
Ask your doc about taking meloxicam, a super-cheap anti-inflammatory which is great for arthritis aches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements