Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 755 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of creating a course that teaches you all about dietary supplements, their uses in health maintenance, how to choose the right and tested product, and what to stay away from. If your were to take this course, what would your top questions be or what would you like covered in detail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar9 View Post
I am thinking of creating a course that teaches you all about dietary supplements, their uses in health maintenance, how to choose the right and tested product, and what to stay away from. If your were to take this course, what would your top questions be or what would you like covered in detail?
To me foremost is a healthy, strong immune system. I have that and credit it to taing Grape Seed Extract for over 24 yrs and Vit C too, Grape Seed Ex is 20 times more powerful.

I'm one who does not do flu and other vaccines and believe it's my immune system.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:04 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
I'd be interested to know which supplements are a waste of money or which supplements no one should ever take. And what is the number one best supplement most people should take?

Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'd be interested to know which supplements are a waste of money or which supplements no one should ever take. And what is the number one best supplement most people should take?
If I were writing the course I would say on the "shoulds" grape seed extract is the most supportive for so much. I've said this for years. I have not bought an allergy drug in 24 yrs.

On what is a waste, don't know. I try a lot of stuff depending on what my issues are and if I feel no change, stop taking it. Certainly no side effects.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:51 PM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
I would like to know if Slow-Niacin or Red Yeast Rice are suitable replacements for statins.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:16 PM

322 posts, read 280,967 times
Alpha Lipoic Acid.

UG! Can I take it with two small amalgams for the detox benefit? Can I do any safely? Will it take any merc out of those fillings and zoom into the brain? Who needs that? I just cannot find definitive info.

I am very, very cautious - if I find one red flag - no way. I will NOT take it.

I try to find a happy medium, so to speak. I don't take the same supps daily other than a ton of Vit C, especially with people coughing this flu season! (BTW, for coughing I grab my osha root) But I do rely on many homeopathic which I felt was trash a few years. This friend would hand me one for a headache - within 15 mins, the headache was gone. Then cramps - a few minutes, gone. All types of things! Even a tooth ache!

But ala just seems more damaging to me right now.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 AM

166 posts, read 240,821 times
This can be a very tricky area. Vitamins and minerals are (relatively) straight forward - though there are some distinct differences the public should know. The history of herbal medicine is well documented and foreign approvals for the use of herbs for specific conditions is also well known (published monographs such as the German Commission E). So both of these areas can be handled / taught without concern for content. Regarding quality it would be easy to teach the differences between the types vitamins, minerals and especially herbs. There are many important differences between herbal powders, ratio extracts, standardized extracts and clinically supported herbs and the public would be well served to learn the differences.

The US has (finally) implemented some robust quality standards (GMP's) and follow on regulations on quality / testing etc. It is easy to learn if manufacturers are following the regs but it is often hard to know if marketers (who don't manufacture their own products) are following these regulations as the actual (contract) manufacturer is not usually known. Many are compliant but there is almost no way to know. If a finished supplement is made in a foreign country it's even harder to know.

The tricky part is answering the public's real interest (already expressed here) about what they can use to treat / cure medical issues. The FDA expressly does not allow these types of claims and I think that's where you could get into trouble. Manufacturers and marketers of supplements cannot make these claims legally. It is not clear to me how / if an 'educator' would be considered. You might want to consult an attorney that specializes in the supplement industry before wading into the claims area. If you stick to the teaching about traditional uses (TCM or Ayurveda) or foreign monograph recommendations there might be less to be concerned about. Unfortunately these won't have much information on many of the newer supplements available.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Been taking ALA for years now for neuropathy. It really does work for this and other types of nerve pain which do not respond to conventional pain treatments. I know it works because if I miss a dose, the "pins and needles" come back. It is naturally occurring in some foods but at nowhere near the same levels.

I just ordered Neem supplements, read many good reviews on it as a detoxifier and for immune support. It's also supposed to help with prostate issues. We'll see how it goes on that one.

Neem
"Promotes healthy hair & skin Purifies the body Supports internal detoxification Excellent when combined with turmeric"
https://www.amazon.com/ORGANIC-INDIA.../dp/B003PGCU4A

These are some new ones I've tried recently. I got them for free basically, so I have nothing to lose. The mushroom complex does provide energy without the jitters that it advertises. It is a subtle feeling, nothing like caffeine.

Premium Mushroom Supplement
"Immune System & Nootropic Brain Booster Complex for Energy, Focus, Memory & Clarity"
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Mushr...stic+mushrooms

Organic Tart Cherry Concentrate
"Inflammation, Pain Relief, Muscle Recovery & Sleep, Joint Comfort and Uric Acid Cleanser"
This is one of the ones that I did not see any noticeable results. I am already taking turmeric for joint pain but I thought that it couldn't hurt to try it. It has great reviews by the way.
https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Tart-...ds=tart+cherry

Last edited by gguerra; 12-20-2018 at 02:00 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar9 View Post
My top questions are:

why are otc dietary supplements not fda regulated for safety?

very few peer reviewed, quantitative studies on the efficacy of otc dietary supplements are available. what are reasons consumers should rely on anecdotal evidence for efficacy of otc dietary supplements?

since there is no government oversite to determine if supplement ingredients are labeled correctly or the correct dose for that supplement, how does a person know what they are buying and how to dose it?

How many people each year are harmed by ingesting otc supplements?

what are common drug interactions with common otc dietary supplements?

do you think people should self-diagnose and treat themselves with supplements or follow their MDs advice before taking any otc supplement? why or why not?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-09-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My top questions are:

why are otc dietary supplements not fda regulated for safety?

very few peer reviewed, quantitative studies on the efficacy of otc dietary supplements are available. what are reasons consumers should rely on anecdotal evidence for efficacy of otc dietary supplements?

since there is no government oversite to determine if supplement ingredients are labeled correctly or the correct dose for that supplement, how does a person know what they are buying and how to dose it?

How many people each year are harmed by ingesting otc supplements?

what are common drug interactions with common otc dietary supplements?

do you think people should self-diagnose and treat themselves with supplements or follow their MDs advice before taking any otc supplement? why or why not?
I've been treating myself with nutritional supplemenets for over 25 yrs and rarely run anything past my doctor..they don't want to hear about them. I'm my own doctor for so so much of my health anyway. And if I really question something I'm taking I talk to a friend(s) or do my own research. And I muscle test my body.

As for the FDA, it's my understanding that pharma drugs need to be patented and that's where the FDA is involved, the experts here can add anything to this as well, I don't know it all.

The nutritional supplements: roots, leaves, stems, berry, grapes, broccoli, alfalfa, ete etc etc are foods and therefore no patents. Again if others can chime in hope they do.

Very few deaths from nutritional supplements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements