Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Gummies sure seem to take up more packaging. They can squeeze twice as many tablets in the same size bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 PM

388 posts, read 200,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
True. But at the same time, they feel too candy-like. It either opens doors to overdosing (which can be deadly for vitamin A) or makes them lose their effectiveness (or so it seems).
i am perfectly happy if my medicine tastes good and is easy to chew and swallow. your concern is quite valid for parents.

im not sure vitamins ever replace the things we should be getting from food, but i suspect that the gummies do it just as well as the tablets.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,877 times
Now Gummies are the fun way to intake vitamin, I guess better than the tablet form & is equally effective too. These Chewable formulation makes it easy to take thme regularly.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewwies View Post
Now Gummies are the fun way to intake vitamin, I guess better than the tablet form & is equally effective too. These Chewable formulation makes it easy to take thme regularly.

User name checks out.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
For the most part, I took regular pill vitamins, even as a child. (I sometimes asked for chewable Flintstones or other fruity-tasting vitamins, because I liked their tart taste, and my parents obliged.) Around 2000's, I started frequently seeing vitamins in gummy form. At first, it was just children's vitamins that were made that way. But more recently, adults' vitamins started being made in gummy form too. I don't know if manufacturers are capitalizing on the nostalgia factor, or if they're accommodating adults who have difficulty swallowing pills, but it is what it is.

I always wondered: Are gummy vitamins as effective as pill vitamins? Meaning, do they get absorbed and benefit the body equally well? On one hand, their active ingredients are almost the same. On the other hand, gummy vitamins strike me as too candy-like. For example, vitamin C is supposed to be sour, and vitamin E is supposed to be oily; but in gummies, neither is the way it's supposed to be, which makes me question their effectiveness.

So what do others think?
The first question to ask is actually not " Are gummy vitamins as effective as pill vitamins"

The relevant question is, "Are vitamins effective period"

Answer is no, there is no benefit to multivitamins and the only vitamins that seem to be of any benefit are Vitamin D in those deficient and Folate in expectant mothers...

Otherwise save your money....there is no benefit from vitamins...so neither gummy vitamins or pill vitamins are "effective" at anything other than emptying your wallet and making your urine more expensive

"The Vitamin Verdict

The researchers concluded that multivitamins don’t reduce the risk for heart disease, cancer, cognitive decline (such as memory loss and slowed-down thinking) or an early death. They also noted that in prior studies, vitamin E and beta-carotene supplements appear to be harmful, especially at high doses."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-multivitamins

Old 03-16-2019, 11:25 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I went back to header and made sure OP was asking about taking gummies and I gave my comments on that one early on in 3rd entry, and OP was NOT asking about taking vits/supps in general, but now the subject has changed to that one (see above entry)...Taking suups/vits is a personal decision and it's my decision and has served me well for over 25 yrs.

On the "Vitamin Verdict"....researcher's conclusions change just about every time I turn around..so I personally ignore their conclusions. I do what feels right for me. I took Vit E when it was first introduced to us probably 20+ yrs ago but never took high doses, same with beta carotene which I never took.

So as far as I'm concerned we all pick and choose.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:28 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I went back to header and made sure OP was asking about taking gummies and I gave my comments on that one early on in 3rd entry, and OP was NOT asking about taking vits/supps in general, but now the subject has changed to that one (see above entry)...Taking suups/vits is a personal decision and it's my decision and has served me well for over 25 yrs.

On the "Vitamin Verdict"....researcher's conclusions change just about every time I turn around..so I personally ignore their conclusions. I do what feels right for me. I took Vit E when it was first introduced to us probably 20+ yrs ago but never took high doses, same with beta carotene which I never took.

So as far as I'm concerned we all pick and choose.
No.....

The OP question asked was " Are gummy vitamins as effective as pill vitamins"

That begs the question, "Are pill vitamins effective"

Since there is little to no evidence to support the idea that "pill vitamins are effective" then the answer to the question is actually NEITHER are effective...

Old 04-01-2019, 09:40 PM

308 posts, read 366,814 times
Quote:
For the most part, I took regular pill vitamins, even as a child. (I sometimes asked for chewable Flintstones or other fruity-tasting vitamins, because I liked their tart taste, and my parents obliged.) Around 2000's, I started frequently seeing vitamins in gummy form. At first, it was just children's vitamins that were made that way. But more recently, adults' vitamins started being made in gummy form too. I don't know if manufacturers are capitalizing on the nostalgia factor, or if they're accommodating adults who have difficulty swallowing pills, but it is what it is.

I always wondered: Are gummy vitamins as effective as pill vitamins? Meaning, do they get absorbed and benefit the body equally well? On one hand, their active ingredients are almost the same. On the other hand, gummy vitamins strike me as too candy-like. For example, vitamin C is supposed to be sour, and vitamin E is supposed to be oily; but in gummies, neither is the way it's supposed to be, which makes me question their effectiveness.

So what do others think?
They're absorbed as well, but they will never be as potent as their pill counterparts. And that's just due to the practicality of getting all the nutrients in a gummy along with the flavor, sweetener and texture ingredients. Also, some manufacturers state they don't put iron in their gummies because it makes them taste bad.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM

339 posts, read 171,140 times
I recognize that this is not an issue for many people, but I avoid most gummies because they contain gelatin, which is:
Quote:
. . .derived from collagen that comes from the bodies of various animals. Manufacturers often make gelatin from scraps and remnants of the meat and leather industries. Gelatin is non-nutritive, and its sole purpose is to add a gel-like texture to a food. In addition to gummy bears, gelatin is almost always present in other types of gummy candies, such as gummy worms and gummy fruit rings, as well as marshmallows and possibly other confections.
From: https://www.everythingvegan.com/blog...my-bears-vegan

Old 04-05-2019, 12:36 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
OP,

My eye doctor recommends taking a multivitamin - but, I have great difficulty swallowing pills. He suggested taking an adult gummy multiple vitamin. I managed to take them for a month as thy are easy to take and taste OK.

The problem was that taking them daily I had a mild reaction on the inside of my mouth that got worse as time went by. I first thought it might be a reaction to trace amounts of coconut (tree nut) in the gummies ( I have tree nut allergies, but, trace amounts don't usually cause an issue.)

I switched to a different brand with no trace of tree nuts. Same problem. It could be a reaction to the dyes, but, more likely it is a reaction to the preservative they use in the gummies. (I have had issues with fruit cups when it is mixed fruit, but, not when I eat a fruit cup containing just one fruit. So, I know some things I can normally eat can be an issue if a preservative is added.) I suspect that the daily consumption of the gummies and repeated exposure to the preservative irritated the lining in my mouth.

I recognized the problem over time with repeated exposure to the gummies, but, I worry that if a child was taking gummies that a parent might not realize the child is having a reaction and connect it to the gummies. It took about a month before the lining of my mouth got so irritated from the gummies that I knew something was causing an issue and the only change had been taking the gummies daily. Once I stopped taking the gummies it took about 2 weeks for the issue to resolve itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements