Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2019, 03:42 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,235,814 times

Advertisements

I have very high blood pressure, but am truly tired of taking prescription meds. I think, but I'm not sure, that my feet are swelling because of them. As I said, I'm not sure. Anyway, are there are herbs or supplements you know of or can suggest for high blood pressure? I'm starting to take beet root powder. Just started so can't tell if it is effective. I'm also taking boswellia and pine bark extract, but those are, I think,anti-inflammatories.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 03:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
You don't want to take chances if you have Very high BP. Talk to MD, get meds changed if you think the swelling is from the meds.

I resisted BP meds for years and dreaded them but that has changed. I also take some supps on top of the couple meds I take.

Maybe doc needs to add diuretic which I take but have been cutting in half in recent months...since I added the supps I take for extra protection.

And we've been discussing a lot recently on sugar and refined carbs and how these influence high blood pressure vs the sodium we've been told for decades. Don't know the truth if there is one but YOU could stop eating all sugars and refined carbs for a while and see what this does for your BP.

I would never tell anyone to get off meds but there are other options too. Had I known of this sugar info years ago, just maybe I would not be taking BP meds..but I don't know. So now I'm sucked in on the meds and will continue with them. To stop is just not what I want to risk.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-31-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 03:55 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,512,480 times
You can try Hawthorn berries, juice. But as Jammin says, if it's really high, I'd talk to my Dr. before going off the meds.
Good luck Ms. Cindi.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...o-527/hawthorn

Old 03-31-2019, 04:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,092,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I have very high blood pressure, but am truly tired of taking prescription meds. I think, but I'm not sure, that my feet are swelling because of them. As I said, I'm not sure. Anyway, are there are herbs or supplements you know of or can suggest for high blood pressure? I'm starting to take beet root powder. Just started so can't tell if it is effective. I'm also taking boswellia and pine bark extract, but those are, I think,anti-inflammatories.
Before any of the medical people get wind of your post and swoop in to tell you, I’ll tell you. Don’t stop taking your BP meds without talking to your DR first. If you’re like me, you love salty foods and that might be part of the reason your feet swell. Here is an interesting article I read recently, it might contain some good info for you. https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazi...urally/Page-01

I have borderline BP and take potassium, K1, Arjuna, calcium, and magnesium to maintain a decent reading. There is no way I’d want to end up taking a long term drug with lots of side effects. Do you exercise? That is a good way to lower your readings. I’m out working in my garden today and it’s a great workout.

Lots of knowledgeable people on the supplements end. You should get plenty of good advise.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,981 times
Quote:
Here is some info from previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Even though you may have tried supplements before there are probably many other supplements to try first before adding another ineffective prescription.

Hawthorn capsules did nothing for me but I had wonderful results using Dr. Christopher's Hawthorn Berry Heart syrup. This is an amazing product and my number one supplement.

Grape seed extract and pycnogenol have been reported to have beneficial effects on bp. MegaNatural-BP is the one specific patented grape seed extract that has been medically studied for bp.

"GSE significantly reduced systolic BP (SBP) by 5·6%(P=0·012)"

http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/public...park-choy-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Qigong and Tai Chi are very helpful for blood pressure. I personally like the Chunyi Lin's Spring Forest Qigong program and Roger Jahnke's Qigong dvd. Learning directly from a teacher would be even better.

The health benefits of tai chi - Harvard Health

"In a review of 26 studies in English or Chinese published in Preventive Cardiology (Spring 2008), Dr. Yeh reported that in 85% of trials, tai chi lowered blood pressure — with improvements ranging from 3 to 32 mm Hg in systolic pressure and from 2 to 18 mm Hg in diastolic pressure."

Pomegranates are known to decrease blood pressure.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article19.aspx

"They were given an ounce of pomegranate juice each day for a year. Not only did study participants' blood pressure lower by over 12 percent, but there was a 30 percent reduction in atherosclerotic plaque."

http://hsrc.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/cgi/v...dicine_facpubs

"current data suggest that long-term (at
least for 1 year) use of PJ has a beneficial effect on BP, improves
endothelial function, reduces arterial stiffness and
delays or reverses the progression of atherosclerosis"

Pycnogenol and grapeseed extract are also helpful.

Antioxidant May Help Lower Blood Pressure

"After 12 weeks of treatment, those who received the antioxidant supplement in addition to their medication were able to keep their blood pressure within normal levels with a 15-milligram dose of the drug compared with an average dose of 21.6 milligrams per day among those who took the placebo."

Lifescience Global :: JPANSV2N2A06

"Both the systolic and diastolic blood pressures were significantly lower after treatment with GSE"

Here is a very helpful article that mentions CoQ10 and hawthorn in addition to other ideas.

http://www.fammed.wisc.edu/sites/def...tn_patient.pdf

Garlic is well known for its beneficial effects on blood pressure but one has to take enough of it. Here is a study using the Kyolic aged garlic supplement.

Aged garlic extract reduces blood pressure in hypertensives: a dose

"Mean systolic blood pressure was significantly reduced by 11.8±5.4 mm Hg in the garlic-2-capsule group over 12 weeks compared with placebo (P=0.006), and reached borderline significant reduction in the garlic-4-capsule group at 8 weeks (−7.4±4.1 mm Hg, P=0.07). "

Cayenne is also considered to be excellent for maintaining healthy blood pressure.

Cayenne Information from the 100 Herb Syllabus

Hibiscus tea may also help.

Hibiscus Tea May Cut Blood Pressure

Seaweed might help and is easily found in Japanese & Korean food stores.

Seaweed is 'natural way to bring down blood pressure and protect heart' | Daily Mail Online

Its possible that peptides from milk proteins may have a hypotensive effect. These are an ingredient in Life Extension blood pressure product.

Download Limit Exceeded

Olive leaf may also be effective.

Olive ( Olea europaea) leaf extract effective in patients with stage-1 hypertension: Comparison with Captopril | Raymond Tjandrawinata - Academia.edu

L-arginine supplements may help and is also naturally found in watermelon.

https://www.fsu.edu/news/2010/10/13/watermelon.study/

Here are even more food cures that might be slightly helpful.

Top 12 Natural Home Remedies For Hypertension - My Health Tips

22 Natural Cure for High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)

And I almost forgot about Natto! This fermented product is found in Japanese stores. I think it tastes terrible. Fortunately it is available as a supplement and I like the one made by Nutricology.

Hypertension Research - Abstract of article: Effects of Nattokinase on Blood Pressure: A Randomized, Controlled Trial

Finally limiting salt intake may or may not help.

It's Time to End the War on Salt - Scientific American

"One oft-cited 1987 study published in the Journal of Chronic Diseases reported that the number of people who experience drops in blood pressure after eating high-salt diets almost equals the number who experience blood pressure spikes; many stay exactly the same."
In addition to the above info, mushroom supplements such as reishi and maitake sx-fraction may be helpful in normalizing blood pressure.

https://www.huhs.edu/literature/Medi...0Mushrooms.pdf

"Two controlled clinical trials have investigated the effects of reishi on high blood pressure in humans and both found it could lower blood pressure significantly compared to a placebo."

Also one may be able to lower blood pressure through excellent nutrition. Joel Fuhrman's nutritarian diet is very beneficial for cardiovascular health.

https://www.amazon.com/End-Heart-Dis...gateway&sr=8-5

"Of the 443 individuals with high blood pressure, the average drop in systolic blood
pressure after a Nutritarian diet was followed for at least one year was 26 mmHg. In contrast,
standard blood pressure medications lower systolic blood pressure on average about 10 mmHg.3 The
drop for the Nutritarian patients in diastolic blood pressure was about 15 mmHg. These results dwarf
what can be achieved with routine blood pressure medications—and they are achieved without the
risks of side effects"

Something very simple like walking can also be effective.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

"Another study of Japanese men indicates that hypertensive men who walked more than 10,000
steps per day showed an average 10 mm Hg decrease in SBP and anaverage 8 mm Hg decrease in DBP as
compared to those who were sedentary"

Last edited by capoeira; 03-31-2019 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 05:27 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,550,170 times
Various hemp products.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:29 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,334,254 times
There is PeptACE, which is fish peptides, that works as an ACE inhibitor.
Lower Blood Pressure Naturally with Fish Peptides | Natural Health

There is also celery seed extract
More Evidence that Celery Seed Extract Lowers High Blood Pressure |

Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,470,737 times
Quote:
Go see your doctor.

From the following link.

Quote:
If your ankle swelling is due to taking calcium channel blockers, reducing the dose of your medicine will usually help. Or, if your blood pressure is not fully controlled, your doctor may prescribe you a diuretic to help lower your blood pressure further and remove the excess fluid.
Blood Pressure : Swollen ankles and high blood pressure

Old 04-02-2019, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
Smile Natural heart health and blood pressure

Hi cindi,

I know a few people that take Nutrilite heart health. It is natural and may help you get off from the medications that can sometimes cause more harm then good. Here is a link. I know they have a 6 month guaresntee if it isn’t working you can send it back and get a full refund, which is huge when trying out new stuff!

[url]https://www.amway.com/Shop/Product/Product.aspx/Nutrilite-Garlic-Heart-Care?itemno=A5923&pwsID=litespeedproducts[/url]

Old 04-02-2019, 06:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 6,468,630 times
My husband takes Ivy’s Mukta Viti with good success and no side effects. Ivy’s is the best brand most used and you can check out the reviews on Amazon. He only takes one a day instead of two a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements