U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

1,103 posts, read 227,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
The amount of money Americans waste on unneeded supplements is frightening.
The amount of money Americans waste on doctors and traditional western "medicine" is more frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

7,119 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
no.
my doctor (and others) have told me that supplements/vitamins are not worth the money.
unless...there is a diagnosed, specific need...like: anemia.
That's how I'd approach this. If, through actual symptoms and/or labwork I know I have deficiencies, tend to miss some nutritional items in my routine day to day diet, or for some metabolic reason don't absorb these substances well, then I'll find a supplement that fills that gap. A big one this far north is Vitamin D due to lack of sun exposure...I take supplemental vit D and notice some benefit when I do. I'd get some baseline labwork done before starting anything. Then, choose your supplements to correct specific needs. If you don't have any idea what deficiencies might or might not be present, taking supplements is sort of like throwing a handful of darts at a wall and hoping some stick.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM

7,114 posts, read 8,152,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Thinking of getting Amazing Grass Greens for daily use & also; Vitamin K2 (Mk-7 type), Pomegranate & Artichoke supps on recommendation of a doc here. Anyone use these & are they REALLY needed or useful, as $ is a factor & don't want to waste it on unneeded items? Thx.
Hey, good buddy!

Don't waste yer money. Greens are nothing but water and crunch. IF (a big if) you raise them yourself and add the right fertilizers, you might get some vitamins, as the soils are depleted and the supplement companies don't buy the expensive stuff. If you still live in SW you should get plenty of D3 from the sun. If not, get some cod liver oil. For sure, that will have vitamins A and D. BTW, cod liver oil is a food, not a supplement.

Which brings me to what you really need - animal products. Get fresh milk, butter, cheeses, eggs, and good red meat. No, it won't cause heart disease (sugar and vegetable oil causes that). But that stuff contains the real protein, calcium, magnesium, and B12 that your bod really needs for good nutrition. It's not the vegan stuff the U.N. or the gov't want you to eat. It's real nutrition.

And you won't need any supplements with a diet like that.

Old Today, 10:48 AM

3,435 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
That's how I'd approach this. If, through actual symptoms and/or labwork I know I have deficiencies, tend to miss some nutritional items in my routine day to day diet, or for some metabolic reason don't absorb these substances well, then I'll find a supplement that fills that gap. A big one this far north is Vitamin D due to lack of sun exposure...I take supplemental vit D and notice some benefit when I do. I'd get some baseline labwork done before starting anything. Then, choose your supplements to correct specific needs. If you don't have any idea what deficiencies might or might not be present, taking supplements is sort of like throwing a handful of darts at a wall and hoping some stick.
Exactly. You need blood work to see if you are deficient. THEN, address what you need. Most people ARE low in Vit. D so could benefit from a supplement since most either cannot get to it or are afraid of the sun.

We take it on cloudy days when we are not in the sun. Sometimes B12 as that gets harder to absorb as one ages. But that's it.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

23,736 posts, read 8,251,498 times
I have supplemented for over 25 yrs and the only deficienies that were tested in my regime were D3, B12 and magnesium....and the rest have been on my own and many got me OFF the toxic drugs many believe in and take for themselves. And for me being open to healing and not the pharma world.

Old Today, 10:59 AM

31,651 posts, read 19,962,004 times
What are you deficient in or what medical condition are they trying to address?

My doctors have always been very specific in their "supplement" recommendations. Most of it is just consuming a single ingredient: ginger for nausea, turmeric for inflammation, fish oil for inflammation, peppermint oil for bowel cramps, physillium for constipation.

Aside from situation like that (will vary for everyone), good food. Whole food. Lots of veggies, whole grains and fruit. Lots of spices and herbs, onions, garlic, chilies.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 02:37 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,443,611 times
I have bursitis in both of my elbows. When my bursitis is bad, taking 3000mg of Omega-3 krill oil has reduces the swelling, and 1000mg a day seems to be just right as a maintenance dose.

My PCP knows and says that it should address bursitis just fine. If I want synthetic pharm drugs for it, they are available to me.

I also use a bit of mullein at night, my Dw insists that it reduces my snoring. We have known many people who swear by their use of mullein for treating asthma.

My PCP did prescribe me to take Vitamin D3 1000IU daily, to address one of side effects I am dealing with from my cancer treatment.

Old Today, 03:23 PM

4,048 posts, read 4,126,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have supplemented for over 25 yrs and the only deficienies that were tested in my regime were D3, B12 and magnesium....and the rest have been on my own and many got me OFF the toxic drugs many believe in and take for themselves. And for me being open to healing and not the pharma world.
This is a good endorsement to actually use things prudently. I need ask you again your brand or Grape Seed you use. I forgot.

Old Today, 03:27 PM

3,556 posts, read 1,364,467 times
Parnassia, thanks for the reminder.
my FIL took Vit.D since he did not
go outside except for church and
doctor's visits. he got good on
the internet and had most
everything delivered.

Old Today, 04:47 PM

23,736 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
This is a good endorsement to actually use things prudently. I need ask you again your brand or Grape Seed you use. I forgot.
Hey there, I shop for quality and price. For many years I bought Swansons brand grape seed ex, 200mg and just looked it up and a very good price for it today.

I stopped shopping swansons, long story, so now I get my GSE from Olympian Labs, good quality 200mg and good price on ebay. I would not hesitate to take either of these and there are many good brands actually...

I don't know where you shop but these two brands are GOOD. Quality and price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or