U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

9,791 posts, read 6,466,879 times

Advertisements

While magnesium has many other uses, mood isn't one of them. I'm posting this here because I can't post negatives in Alt Med

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...06-p52ori.html

Quote:
Researchers from Western Sydney University's NICM Health Research Institute, who conducted the review, said there was a "lack of compelling evidence" that magnesium supplements assist the treatment of any mental disorder.

The analysis, published in World Psychiatry on Tuesday, brought together data from over 10,000 people with mental health disorders, collected across 33 existing randomised control trials.
Senior author Professor Jerome Sarris said he was not surprised by the magnesium finding, noting that, although magnesium deficiency tends to be more common in people with psychiatric conditions, it is a misconception that supplementing the mineral assists treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

72,654 posts, read 84,576,516 times
Don't always pay attention to these articles and don't have any idea if Mag helps with moods, but I do take a pill every day and will continue to take one Until there is proof they are not good for us.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,714,658 times
I took magnesium for a while to help with restless leg syndrome (RLS). It did help with the RLS, but it gave me terrible diarrhea. That didn't help my mood at all LOL. I finally quit taking the magnesium altogether.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

20,269 posts, read 19,258,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I took magnesium for a while to help with restless leg syndrome (RLS). It did help with the RLS, but it gave me terrible diarrhea. That didn't help my mood at all LOL. I finally quit taking the magnesium altogether.
I've never heard of magnesium for changing one's mood but it is supposed to relax your muscles. If one form of magnesium causes diarrhea, try another form.

This is a good article and it tells you what forms of magnesium to take for whatever ails you--and which form to not take if you don't want "disaster pants" lol. Magnesium glycinate if you don't want "disaster pants." You get it in a health food store mostly. Don't bother with the junk they sell in the drug store.

https://www.bulletproof.com/suppleme...um-supplement/

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,714,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've never heard of magnesium for changing one's mood but it is supposed to relax your muscles. If one form of magnesium causes diarrhea, try another form.

This is a good article and it tells you what forms of magnesium to take for whatever ails you--and which form to not take if you don't want "disaster pants" lol. Magnesium glycinate if you don't want "disaster pants." You get it in a health food store mostly. Don't bother with the junk they sell in the drug store.

https://www.bulletproof.com/suppleme...um-supplement/
Thanks, but it was magnesium glycinate and it was from a health food store.

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

20,269 posts, read 19,258,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Thanks, but it was magnesium glycinate and it was from a health food store.
Oh, that's what I take. hmmm. I don't know the answer then but maybe it's in the article. Sorry.

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,853,295 times
Interesting piece from The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...06e_story.html

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

4,288 posts, read 1,846,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Interesting piece from The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...06e_story.html
Except that I am not sure it is applicable to therapeutic use of magnesium. It is recommended for treatment of migraines and restless leg syndrome, particularly since it tends to have fewer side effects than many other medications for those problems.

Old Today, 04:29 AM

1,113 posts, read 385,574 times
I take 400-500 mg of magnesium every night - helps me sleep and helps to "keep things moving". It absolutely helps me!

Old Today, 05:45 AM

1,405 posts, read 565,533 times
I take magnesium, but not for mood.

Lots of other things for mood can be taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements