U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,981 posts, read 5,411,219 times
Reputation: 3659

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Than I wonder if you have Pernicious anemia (B-12 deficiency) or the start of it. the stomach lining does not absorb vit B-12.
I have never been diagnosed with any type of anemia. I first was given B 12 shots over 31 years ago. I had mentioned that to my Doctor several times, but after I had an episode where I hardly had the strength to walk, she ran blood tests on me and found that I was very B 12 deficient. This was sometime last year. After the first shot I was immediately better. I am now taking them monthly, and have not had another episode of exrtreme weakness while walking.

I am wondering about the theory that the B 12 is absorbed in pill fashion. That is contrary to all that I have been taught, both by doctors and in Medical books. They do not say anything about it being connected to anemia. My doctor is a young woman, and she apparently is not aware of that, neither was my elderly doctor of 31 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 AM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,299 posts, read 2,074,444 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
They do not say anything about it being connected to anemia. My doctor is a young woman, and she apparently is not aware of that, neither was my elderly doctor of 31 years ago.
Again,most doctors are taught very little about vitamins and nutrition. It is now up to us to do a little legwork also so we can get to know our own bodies better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,981 posts, read 5,411,219 times
Reputation: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Again,most doctors are taught very little about vitamins and nutrition. It is now up to us to do a little legwork also so we can get to know our own bodies better.

Hmmmm, after 75 years of life, and lots of questioning of doctors, (including some disagreements), my present doctor has respect for my knowing my own body. She is very open to my choosing 'natural' supplements over drugs.
She also recognizes that we who have fibromyalgia cannot tolerate many drugs. After 40+ years of coping with fibro and arthritis, I choose to do that which I consider is the most helpful, despite what doctors say...or well meaning friends.( and strangers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
 
12,548 posts, read 12,109,190 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I have never been diagnosed with any type of anemia. I first was given B 12 shots over 31 years ago. I had mentioned that to my Doctor several times, but after I had an episode where I hardly had the strength to walk, she ran blood tests on me and found that I was very B 12 deficient. This was sometime last year. After the first shot I was immediately better. I am now taking them monthly, and have not had another episode of exrtreme weakness while walking.

I am wondering about the theory that the B 12 is absorbed in pill fashion. That is contrary to all that I have been taught, both by doctors and in Medical books. They do not say anything about it being connected to anemia. My doctor is a young woman, and she apparently is not aware of that, neither was my elderly doctor of 31 years ago.
Here is a link:

What Is Pernicious Anemia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Pinellas County, Florida
123 posts, read 243,035 times
Reputation: 27
Read all you can about B12 deficiency. a book caled " Could it be B12?" by Sally Pacholo has been very helpful to me. ( paperback) I had all the classisc neuro signs of B12 deficiency along w/other neuro possibilities which are still not positively diagnosesd . One of my Dr's gave me a B12 shot and w/in 1 week felt much improved ( the fatigue was terrible) The next week when I saw my neuro spec I asked him to check level. it came back at 400 ( normal range.) My PCP refused to give me another shot based on normal reading. When I went back to the rheumatology Dr who had first given me the B12 shot he said my levels should have been around 1200, 1 week post shot , a much higher level. He gave me my second this week. I have been taking sublingual 1000mcg Methylcobalamon daily f( Jarrow Brand ) or the past few months also. I feel a difference in stamina and mentally sharper. I also take Alpha -Lipoic Acid 600mg per day ( a powerful antioxidant).
As an RN I now feel that we all must look behond what our PCP is telling us, they rarely research our case and spend little time between their miriad of patients checking put other alternative therapies. We are our own best advocates-remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,981 posts, read 5,411,219 times
Reputation: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
As an RN I now feel that we all must look behond what our PCP is telling us, they rarely research our case and spend little time between their miriad of patients checking put other alternative therapies. We are our own best advocates-remember that.

I agree with thia 100 percent! I only wish I had bee much more agressive in my quest to get B 12 shots after moving to Arkansas. It might of saved me years of needless suffering.

I understand that the damage done by the deficiency may not be reversible. Although I am much better in many respects, I am far from being in great condition. Of course, since I was deficient for about 30 years, I guess that is to be expected.

I quit one doctor because he insisted that I take drugs that I did not want. I knew I couldn't tolerate the side effects. I did not take them. He was very rude about it. He has since been put in rehab for his own drug usage, and has lost his licence to practice medicine!

Believe me, I have suffered a lot because of misdiagnosis...came very close to dying because of one. But I do like my present doctor.

Last edited by Towhee; 05-23-2008 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,299 posts, read 2,074,444 times
Reputation: 1031
Great testimonial!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,068 posts, read 2,714,579 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Again,most doctors are taught very little about vitamins and nutrition. It is now up to us to do a little legwork also so we can get to know our own bodies better.
Good post!

I agree. The more we can learn and be aware of our bodies the better. Especially in our over-taxed health system these days.

A great learning tool is a book called Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing, written by a couple .. one an MD and the other a certified Nutritional consultant. They continually expand and update their editions over the years.

The book contains three sections .. the first lists and explains the various types of nutrients, food supplements, and herbs, the second part describes common disorders and identifies the supplements and strategies used to combat the conditions, and the third is a guide to alternative rememdies and therapies.

It's so useful. Whatever is ailing you, look that up and see what kinds of natural remedies may help. Also a great guideline as to how much you should be taking of certain vitamins and minerals, etc.

I was thinking for energy, you might like to look at bee pollen Moving to AZ. It's a great energy booster, full of minerals, complete B complex, vitamin C, enzymes and essential fatty acids, and some protein. Best to obtain from a local source, as it increases its antiallergenic properties.

*A very low percentage of people maybe be allergic to bee pollen and best to start out with a very small amount at first to watch for any reaction such as developing rash or wheezing.

It's granular and tastes a little like 'hay' lol. Well, that's my description of it anyway. Also a little sweet. I find it's best if you take a spoonful and chew it up a little and then down it with a drink of water. Otherwise it's like flax seed and will be expelled whole .. same way you ingested it.

Last edited by stone-ground; 05-23-2008 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,299 posts, read 2,074,444 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I agree. The more we can learn and be aware of our bodies the better. Especially in our over-taxed health system these days.

A great learning tool is a book called Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing, written by a couple .. one an MD and the other a certified Nutritional consultant. They continually expand and update their editions over the years.
Yes the book by James Balch...it's been my health 'bible' for years! I have every edition and have even given copies to relatives. Before that I used the Vitamin Bible by Earl Mindell.

And I agree that we should now more than ever become responsible for our own health as our own health system is currently in shambles.
In fact there was a quote from either the Bible or hippocrates that says 'let your food be your medicine'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,068 posts, read 2,714,579 times
Reputation: 788
LOL.

Every single person in my family has been given one also, and many of my friends. Now no one has an excuse to get sick any more!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top