Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 PM

264 posts, read 2,143,861 times

Advertisements

I've been taking "Nature Made" B vitamins for 3 years now, I buy the vitamins separate from each other. I just wanted to know if taking vitamins from this brand is good or bad and if it's bad what is a good brand for vitamins. Also what is a good multivitamin, I've been taking One-A-Day Men's for about a year, I know it's probably not the best, I was taking Centrum for a few years then I discovered the health risks of taking it at my age (I'm currently 24, so I had to of been around 20-22 taking them). I don't have the best diet but I drink natural juices to help me out with some nutrition.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Personally, I'm not a fan of taking vitamins separately because you could be taking to much or to less of a certain vitamin or mineral. At the same time I'm not a fan of vitamins like centrum either because your not really getting anything out of them, your getting more junk that your body doesn't need than your getting actual vitamins with brands like that. Nature Made is better than Centrum but still it contains things that just aren't necessary.

It's easier and safer to take a multi-vitamin but if you want better quality check out a health food store in your area, or if you have a place like Trader Joe's where you live that's great to. You'll get better quality than what your taking currently.

My favorites are Andrew Lessman's vitamins, he sells them through HSN and also his web site. They are expensive, but when you consider how his vitamins are made, and just how pure and free of unnecessary fillers they are they become well worth it in my opinion.

When it comes to vitamins I really believe it's something you get what you pay for, and you can get cheap vitamins but your better off just flushing your money down the toilet going that route. Bottom line though is do what's best for you and your budget, you can get a fairly good quality at your health food store that I think you'll be satisfied with. Just stay away from the big brand names like Centrum, One-A-Day, etc.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
I usually buy mine from GNC
At the beginning of each month, they offer 20% discount.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 PM

164 posts, read 984,619 times
Do a google search for the brand STANDARD PROCESS. They are organic in nature and of high quality. Most vitamins are synthetic and man made. Your body doesnt absorb then naturally so they simply get passed through the body. Organic vitamins made from actually plants, herbs, etc are natural to your system and thus are completely digested for the purpose they were intended. This brand is highly recognized within the medical community as a quality product. I take their multi vitaman called "Catalyn". Google the difference between organic and synthetic vitamans.

Standard Process (http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=34 - broken link)

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
Solaray and Solgar are 2 of the brands we prefer. They have many different choices as far as the types and strengths.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
There are a lot of quality brands of vitamins. The first few I thought of are Life Extension,New Chapter and Jarrow. There are specialty manufacturers like Nordic Naturals for fish oil. There are hundreds of different brands out there . My favorite place to buy vitamins is online at iherb.com,with wholesale prices and free shipping on larger orders.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Default whole food

Opt for a whole food supplement instead. The wide variety of nutrients in very small amounts is what the body needs. But be aware that no supplement can REPLACE actually eating the food, all they can do is help fill in what is missing in your diet. If you choose a supplement, make sure it has supportive evidence that it actually delivers.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM

264 posts, read 2,143,861 times
Thanks for all the replies. I figured the vitamins I was taking were crap.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:02 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I figured the vitamins I was taking were crap.
Don't be too hard on yourself. You did your best.

I happen to know some great supplement brands. I'm not a big fan of synthetic vitamins, I much prefer whole-food based supplements, or actually in all honesty, I prefer green food supplements the most.

Purium Health Products has the best green products I came across (I'm also partial because we are distributors), but you can google them on your own. They have mixed greens called "Best of Greens" and also "More Greens", they have different ingredients, but both great. They come in the powder and they are deep green color. Not everyone can stomach them, but it's the best way to take (besides the fresh cut grass).
You can take the greens individually. They have individual Spirulina, individual Cracked-cell Chlorella, individual Barley grass.
They have fruit based supplement called Bio-fruit which is great. They have great montmorency cherry concentrate which is filled with antioxidants. And many more great products. Master Amino Complex for men is great.

Another great company is Waiora. If you are looking for a multi-vitamin, their Essentail Daily Nutrients is a very good choice. It's in the liquid form and it is called "high-five" because it has vitamins, minerals, polyphenols and herbs in a whole-food fruit base of Goji, Acai and other exotic fruits.

Good luck!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
I also want to add that Purium's products are organic as well, they are very clean and the quality is high. The CEO of company David Sandoval who is also the author of Green Foods Bible had my husband visiting him in CA and he showed the fields and environment where his products are growing and produced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements