Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times

Advertisements

A study out of the University of Pennslyvania shows that Vitamin D (Calcitriol) has a strong effect controlling the inflammatory cytokines and other factors in the lungs that effect those with asthma and COPD. Infact when they compared Cacitriol (Vit-D) against the medically prescribed antiinflammatory drug Dexmethasone the Cacitriol out performed the corticosteroid in lung function.

The more i read about Vitamin D (over the years) the more i'm convinced that this is a ''wonder'' vitamin.
Vitamin D May Halt Lung Function Decline In Asthma And COPD - Science Daily

Added bonus story also in Science Daily today..
Vitamin D Insufficiency Linked To Bacterial Vaginosis In Pregnant Women - Science Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,011,052 times
They also linked it to decreases in dementia Sunshine vitamin may make you brighter - Aging- msnbc.com

WooT

Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,691,154 times
The healthiest cultures or places in the world live in warm weather climates where sun exposure is high most of the year.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Any clue on the dosage?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM

914 posts, read 4,432,378 times
The best "dosage" is 15 minutes of sunshine a day. Most synthetic supplements aren't has good as getting something naturally, and this is especially true because of the way your body receives most of it's vitamin D from your environment rather than your food supply. You also need to be sure your are getting enough natural calcium so your body can synthesize everything efficiently!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 PM

People need more vitamin D than can be obtained from the diet and sunshine. Not everyone can be in the sunshine---not even for 15 minutes. There are diseases and disorders that are aggrevated by sunshine.

Supplements are not meant as a replacement to natural nutrients. That's why they're called supplements. The type of vitamin D that comes from sunshine is only one of three types of vitamin D stored in our bodies. Our bodies need all three.

The medical profession has discovered that the recommended daily IU for vitamin D is too low. They are also discovering the benefits from higher dosages of vitamin D for heathy individuals and even higher dosages for unhealthy people.

Even the higher dosages for healthy individuals won't have the benefits for treating illness. There are prescription medications that are soley vitamins at high dosages. That alone should be proof to you that vitamins do have their place. If someone has a vitamin D deficiency, taking the regular dosage in diet and sunshine will not correct the deficiency. Higher dosages are needed to correct a deficiency.

It has been scientifically determined that Vitamin D boosts the immune system and helps with all sorts of ailments. This isn't holistic mumbo jumbo. Medical professionals and scientists have been discovering this. Now this article is sharing that vitamin D helps with lung disorders. I happen to have a lung disorder so I'm interested in what dosage is necessary to realize the lung benefits of vitamin D.

Like you, I used to be skeptical of vitamins until I literally fell asleep while standing in my living room. My doctor discovered that I had deficiencies of vitamin D and B12. I had significant neurological damage from the long-term deficiency. Once I started receiving treatment, my recovery was amazing. I became a believer.

So when anyone tries to tell me that I ONLY NEED a minimum amount, I know they don't know what they're talking about. My vitamin D deficiency required 50,000IU/week for two months and then 50,000IU/month for six months. To literally stay alive, I need 1000IU/week of vitamin B-12 for life.

Now, I'd like to know what the dosage is for realizes inte lung function benefits so I can discuss this treatment with my doctor.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 AM

Here's another big study out today about Vitamin - D being a powerful preventer in many types of cancer.

New Model Of Cancer Development: Low Vitamin D Levels May Have Role - Science Daily

Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Here's another big study out today about Vitamin - D being a powerful preventer in many types of cancer.

New Model Of Cancer Development: Low Vitamin D Levels May Have Role - Science Daily
Care to answer my question? Did you even read the thread since you started it?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you even read the thread since you started it?
What do you think ?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
What do you think ?
I think your lack of response indicates you either didn't read the thread or don't know the adequeate doage to receive the benefits described in your first post.

I found this excellent article that explains how our bodies don't get enough vitamin D from 15 minutes of sunlight.

Basic Nutrition: The Miracle of Vitamin D (http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitamindmiracle.html - broken link)

I doubt the skeptic, Jillaceae, will read it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements