Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealace View Post
I was just curious, is your long-term memory good?
My long term memory is very good I'm taking some meds related to anti-depressants now...sometimes they seem to help my memory, sometimes not. Am beginning to think that this could be related to a vitamin/mineral deficiency.

Thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
My memory has been declining slightly since the age of 45-50...recently, at the age of 61, I am in a job where things change course fast and furious...plus I am learning new things constantly. My memory just seems to freeze and not be able to take on anything new when I am in this situation. It has gotten much more pronounced in the past 6 months. My memory goes into a blank "white out". Has anyone tried any techniques, supplements, etc. - THAT HAVE ACTUALLY WORKED - to improve memory? I am working side-by-side with 20-30-40-somethings...arrrghhhh! I thrive on work with challenges, and have much experience to offer, so would like to gain some insight into this issue. Also, could members limit posts to positive feedback rather than harrassing comments? I am sure we all would greatly appreciate comments that are genuinely helpful and sincere. Members, thank you all so much. City Data Forum does ROCK!!!
Prescription blood pressure meds have a PROFOUND effect on mental processes including memory. I am not telling you to stop taking your medication, I'm just saying that could be part of your problem.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
My memory has been declining slightly since the age of 45-50...recently, at the age of 61, I am in a job where things change course fast and furious...plus I am learning new things constantly. My memory just seems to freeze and not be able to take on anything new when I am in this situation. It has gotten much more pronounced in the past 6 months. My memory goes into a blank "white out". Has anyone tried any techniques, supplements, etc. - THAT HAVE ACTUALLY WORKED - to improve memory? I am working side-by-side with 20-30-40-somethings...arrrghhhh! I thrive on work with challenges, and have much experience to offer, so would like to gain some insight into this issue. Also, could members limit posts to positive feedback rather than harrassing comments? I am sure we all would greatly appreciate comments that are genuinely helpful and sincere. Members, thank you all so much. City Data Forum does ROCK!!!
Save your money as it's .... Exercise, Exercise, Exercise even if it's a brisk 30 minute walk every other day

Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,920 times
Quote:
My long term memory is very good I'm taking some meds related to anti-depressants now...sometimes they seem to help my memory, sometimes not. Am beginning to think that this could be related to a vitamin/mineral deficiency.

Thoughts anyone?
If you're depressed, which I'm unclear about, that can cause memory problems as can some anti depressants.

I would say
Drink water , especially in the afternoons. Known fact that dehydration affects concentration and this is more likely to occur in afternoons.

Avoid multi-tasking.Try and concentrate on one thing at a time.

Avoid simple carbs.Snack on nuts seeds fruit.

Exercise at least 20mins per day.

Get at least 7 hrs good quality sleep if you can.

If you are really concerned then ask to see a neurologist.

As we get older small arteries in the brain can shut down. Not enough to cause a stroke , but enough that over time it affects memory and concentration.

Not sure if you have any risk factors for vascular disease ie High BP, high cholesterol, smoking, diabetes.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Memory is the second thing to go . . . I forget what's first ? ?? ???

Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Prescription blood pressure meds have a PROFOUND effect on mental processes including memory. I am not telling you to stop taking your medication, I'm just saying that could be part of your problem.
n
20yrsinBranson
20 and Susan...thanks!! ....not taking any BP meds...don't have cholesterol prob's or diabetes..never smoked, just lots of second hand smoke ...taking only lamotrigine/lamictal for now. Actually, I've had memory probs almost my entire life, but recently, with aging, it's going to another level. And, I work side-by-side with people half my age, and even less than that. When I talk to friends my age, they have some of the same probs...but I wanted to know if there is anything we can do....and some if you offered suggestions...thanks! My practitioner suggested an MRI, but I'm not going to that length yet. For now, I'm assuming that it's nothing other than aging. Haven't walked out in the middle of the night yet, and gotten lost...

P.S. some months back my practitioner took blood to test my B vitamin levels and gave me a B12 shot...labs came back very very low...we haven't met since...but I am now taking some B's. I can tell that they made me feel better.

Last edited by 'M'; 07-24-2010 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
Keep taking the B's and make sure that includes the B-12 (cyanocobalamin).

Fluid and exercise for O2 to the brain.

I use a concoction called Neuro1 which is a powder I mix every morning with water and drink it in place of coffee.

Last but not least you need to exercise your brain. I have a subscription to luminousity.com but you can test the games out for free. They have different programs for whatever you're trying to improve. Well I like them and I take about 30 minutes a day and exercise there.

Great bump

Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM

30 posts, read 64,851 times
B-complex is my favorite supplement. Do some research on B-complex and see how valuable it is! There are many, many symptoms helped by an adequate supply of B-complex. Because B-complex is water soluble, your supply can be depleted without you even knowing it. Stress depletes the B's right along with your C. Also, because everyone's body is different, you may need more than you are actually getting. Once a day doesn't cut it for me! Check out 'optimal daily allowance' to see where you fall. I have a great book about that which made me look at supplement intake from a new perspective.

I know what and how much I need now, and when I follow my program it works wonders. If I fall off the program, I can tell the difference within 24 hours of starting back on. I guess you just need to grab hold of the ball here and decide what you want to do. Get a nutritional assessment, do some research and take it from there. Also, get a good, quality supplement if you're going to give them a try. Would you buy watered down gas for your car when you know it will run better with good octane? Of course not, so don't do it for your body either!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
I agree about the B's. For B-12, I've read that you should take the sub-lingual (under your tongue kind) b/c it gets in your system better. Actually it absorbs even better than the shots, so save yourself some money. I get low on iron sometimes and my memory gets poorer than usual at those times. Also, when I'm not sleeping as well as usual, I get more forgetful so get that sleep.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 AM

245 posts, read 956,152 times
Wow, this hits home! I'm just a bit over 50+, good long term memory & still pretty good short term memory (although my husband & I disagree about that at times, I believe it's him that has issues lol). But, I do agree about working side by side with younger people. They learn differently then we did. I do have some white out moments more so lately that are scarey. Sometimes it's as simple as spelling a word. I'm typically pretty darn good at spelling so when I start typing & get totally stuck on a word it scares the heck out of me. I have to talk to myself & think hard about what I'm trying to spell & then I eventually get it. It can be the simplest words. Also, my handwriting has changed over the years. I have carpal tunnel issues & it hurts to write for long, but my signature has drastically changed. I used to have pretty handwriting now I don't even recognize it! That scares me too. I am on blood pressure meds, have a thyroid issue for which I'm being treated for & am peri-menopausal....probably more menopausal now. I am on hormone supplements. I have stopped exercising & am somewhat down in the dumps over a relocation that happened 7 mos. ago. Add my elderly Mom living with us & a husband that is dealing with serious medical issues.....ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements