Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 PM

58 posts, read 274,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Not true if one is allergic to dairy.
It is highly likely dairy allergies are related to consuming pasteurized products that eliminate critical enzymes.
I used to have diary allergies but I started consuming raw milk and evaporated (not condensed) milk.

"Barring the small percentage of folks allergic to all forms of the milk protein casein, you might be able to tolerate raw milk with it's self-digesting food enzymes intact."
Raw Milk FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I've heard that most of the absorbed calcium enters our bodies before we are 25. After that, the body doesn't absorb that much.
The reason you don't absorb nutrients is because first of all, most people eat processed dead cooked food which have very little nutrients in them. Secondly, they don't CHEW their food. To get whatever nutrients are in your food out you must CHEW YOUR FOOD a minimum of 40 times before swallowing and preferably until the food is LIQUIFIED.

Another way to get more nutrients is to eat LIVE CULTURIZED (pre digested) food. This guy is the EXPERT on the benefits of and the how tos of cultruized food. His name is Lou Corona. I HIGHLY recommened searching for him on the internet and YouTube. Here is a YouTube video of him at age 58 (looking 28). Towards the end of the video he shows how strong he is by holding his entire weight with his legs in the air on his fingers.

LOU CORONA - YouTube

Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emylie View Post
I heard about Caltrate (Calcium & vitamin D), is it the best?
GNC is a pretty reputable vitamin outlet so I'd suggest you go in there if there is one located near you and then just ask the salesman for his best brand.
But whatever you do, make sure that you get a Calcium supplement that includes Vitamin D, as it is very instrumental in helping the Calcium get absorbed into your system and not just passed through.
Too: try to get a Calcium supplement that includes Magnesium and Zinc; two other mineral supps that have been shown to be beneficial.
As far as other things you can do to ensure your bones are getting the most calcium they can: avoid carbonated beverages like soft drinks. A chiropractor whom I'm training at the gym told me that the stuff they use to fizz-up those drinks is Phosphoric acid, which leaches calcium from your bones, leading to possible osteoporosis.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZrhythm View Post
I used to have diary allergies but I started consuming raw milk and evaporated (not condensed) milk.

You do realize that evaporated milk is pasteurized?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
[quote=emilybh;20622880]
Quote:
The reason you don't absorb nutrients is because first of all, most people eat processed dead cooked food which have very little nutrients in them. Secondly, they don't CHEW their food. To get whatever nutrients are in your food out you must CHEW YOUR FOOD a minimum of 40 times before swallowing and preferably until the food is LIQUIFIED.
Do you have any evidence to support these statements?

Here's what's in cooked chicken:

Nutritional Information Of Cooked Chicken Breast | LIVESTRONG.COM

Broccoli:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

Green beans:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beans, snap, green, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

Carrots:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Carrots, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

Roast beef:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, bottom sirloin, tri-tip roast, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, select, cooked, roasted [URMIS #1429]

Quote:
Another way to get more nutrients is to eat LIVE CULTURIZED (pre digested) food. This guy is the EXPERT on the benefits of and the how tos of cultruized food. His name is Lou Corona. I HIGHLY recommened searching for him on the internet and YouTube. Here is a YouTube video of him at age 58 (looking 28). Towards the end of the video he shows how strong he is by holding his entire weight with his legs in the air on his fingers.
It is not necessary to eat "predigested" food. If you have a serious gastrointestinal problem that interferes with digestion, follow your doctor's recommendations for diet. Otherwise, your body will supply all you need to digest what you eat.

To all posters:

Niners fan is correct. Tums is cheap and just taking it with food will help the absorption.

See here about calcium:

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University

Note the recommended daily intakes.

Magnesium:

Vitamin D:

It does not appear to be necessary to take calcium and magnesium together in order for calcium to be absorbed. Calcium and magnesium do have metabolic interactions, but magnesium deficiency is pretty uncommon. A separate magnesium supplement is probably unnecessary.

From the article on vitamin D:

"Overall, the current evidence suggests that vitamin D3 supplements of at least 800 IU/day may be helpful in reducing bone loss and fracture rates in the elderly. In order for vitamin D supplementation to be effective in preserving bone health, adequate dietary calcium (1,000 to 1,200 mg/day) should also be consumed (see the article on Calcium)."

That means a total of 2000 U Vitamin D3 from supplement and diet, not just supplement alone.

If you think you may be vitamin D deficient, your doctor can check a blood level.

As with all the micronutrients, food sources are best. Folks who use dairy products, which are frequently enriched with added vitamin D, particularly males, may not need supplements at all.

One serving of milk, one of cheese, and one of yogurt in one day.will just about get you up to 1200 mg calcium. You'd have to eat a lot of veggies to do that. Two cups of milk can meet the vitamin D requirement. The RDA for magnesium can be met from a variety of nuts, veggies, and dairy products. You can check product labels for other sources of calcium and vitamin D, like cereal and orange juice

Okiegirlfriend:

It is true that it is important to get enough calcium early in life, but you do not stop absorbing it when you are older. Bone is continuously being broken down and reformed. Osteoporosis results if the breakdown exceeds the rebuilding. Calcium is important in so many processes in the body that it will be pulled out of bone if needed. So early calcium intake maximizes bone stores, but contiuned intake is necessary to maintain those stores and prevent bone from weakening.

The other factor in bone health is exercise. Activities that stress bone, such as weight training, help to keep it stronger.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You do realize that evaporated milk is pasteurized?
I've looked in to this and discovered that although it is heated for evaporation, the milk is not heated to the temperature required for pasteurization. My experience is that milk allergy symptoms do not occur after drinking evaporated milk.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
I've looked in to this and discovered that although it is heated for evaporation, the milk is not heated to the temperature required for pasteurization. My experience is that milk allergy symptoms do not occur after drinking evaporated milk.
That would be incorrect.

According to wikipedia (and by extension, all of the sources the articles cite):

Evaporated milk:
Quote:
After the water has been removed, the product is chilled, stabilized, packaged and sterilized. It is commercially sterilized at 240-245 °F (115-118 °C) for 15 minutes.
Non-evaporated, pasteurized milk:
Quote:
Ultra-high temperature (UHT or ultra-heat-treated) is also used for milk treatment. In the HTST process, milk is forced between metal plates or through pipes heated on the outside by hot water, and is heated to 71.7°C (161°F) for 15–20 seconds. UHT processing holds the milk at a temperature of 135°C (275°F) for a minimum of one second.
and:
Quote:
A less conventional but US FDA-legal alternative (typically for home pasteurization) is to heat milk at 145 °F (63 °C) for 30 minutes.[9]
As you can see, evaporated milk is sterilized at a much MUCH higher temperature, for a MUCH longer period of time, than standard pasteurization of milk that has not been evaporated.

Sterilization eliminates all microorganisms, while pasteurization reduces viable pathogens.

Your evaporated milk has gone through much - much more severe processing than pasteurized milk; also, both are homogenized, by the way.

Lastly, allergy to dairy isn't all that common, but lactose intolerance is -very- common. Evaporated milk has lactose in it, even - more - per ounce, because the water has been removed, making it more dense than regular milk.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM

Thank You Very Much for that information. I was looking for temps. and thought I had checked wiki. Oh well then I guess it's time to go back to raw milk at $8/gallon.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Nurses health study showed no decrease in bone fractures with milk intake/per day ( I think they looked at 2 glasses per day).

Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Thank You Very Much for that information. I was looking for temps. and thought I had checked wiki. Oh well then I guess it's time to go back to raw milk at $8/gallon.
Why? You've already stated that you have no symptoms of allergy after consuming evaporated milk. Since you don't have any allergic reactions to it, why would you feel any need to go back to consuming raw milk - which comes with much higher risk of bacteria, has a much shorter shelf life, and is prohibitively expensive?

Also - it sounds to me, as though you're not really having any untoward symptoms of dairy allergy at all. If you were, you'd have them when consuming raw milk, and evaporated milk. And butter, and cheese, ice cream, bread made with butter or milk, pancakes, etc. etc. etc.

What symptoms do you have when you drink milk, that you are -not- getting when you drink evaporated milk?

Since they're obviously pretty much the same thing except one has less water, I'd look next to the container the milk is in, as the potential allergen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements