Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed five years ago, in my midtwenties, with moderate to severe iron deficiency anemia. At the time, I did all the recommended self-treatment, including supplementing my diet with additional iron. However, my issue is not that I'm not taking in enough iron, it's my body's inability to absorb iron from foods, and from most supplements. After trying many of the various types of supplements available and seeing no hemoglobin/hematocrit change when my blood was tested, I was sent to a hematologist. The only supplement that induces acceptable hemoglobin levels for me is ferrous sulfate, and then only when taken on a completely empty stomach. Ferrous sulfate also causes nausea, severe constipation, and other gastric disturbances. For about a year, though I soldiered through, but was having such digestive problems that I eventually eased away from supplementing.

Now, five years later, I'm back at the borderline of severe anemia (8-9 hemoglobin, 29 hematocrit), and am told that I absolutely have to get back on the supplement train. I'm cringing at the thought, but did pick up some slow-release ferrous sulfate. I've never used it, but what I've read notes that for some, the slow release dilutes the painful side effects. I've also read that it's not as effective, however.

Any experiences with Slow FE? Or iron deficiency anemia and issues with supplementing, overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,478 times
I've never needed it, but my question is why doesn't your doctor prescribe something since you have a specific need for a specific type of iron. Maybe there's not anything that requires a prescription? I remember my mother was anemic and she had to take folic acid along with iron which seemed to work better. Some people need B-12 shots.

There are also many different kinds of anemia and are treated differently. Did your doctor tell you what type of anemia you have?

Check this and ask your doctor some questions:

Anemia Causes, Types, Symptoms, and Treatment Information on WebMD.com

Old 07-10-2009, 12:10 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I was diagnosed five years ago, in my midtwenties, with moderate to severe iron deficiency anemia. At the time, I did all the recommended self-treatment, including supplementing my diet with additional iron. However, my issue is not that I'm not taking in enough iron, it's my body's inability to absorb iron from foods, and from most supplements. After trying many of the various types of supplements available and seeing no hemoglobin/hematocrit change when my blood was tested, I was sent to a hematologist. The only supplement that induces acceptable hemoglobin levels for me is ferrous sulfate, and then only when taken on a completely empty stomach. Ferrous sulfate also causes nausea, severe constipation, and other gastric disturbances. For about a year, though I soldiered through, but was having such digestive problems that I eventually eased away from supplementing.

Now, five years later, I'm back at the borderline of severe anemia (8-9 hemoglobin, 29 hematocrit), and am told that I absolutely have to get back on the supplement train. I'm cringing at the thought, but did pick up some slow-release ferrous sulfate. I've never used it, but what I've read notes that for some, the slow release dilutes the painful side effects. I've also read that it's not as effective, however.

Any experiences with Slow FE? Or iron deficiency anemia and issues with supplementing, overall?
Have you had any testing done to find out why you are so anemic?

Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I know that many people that suffer from this have to eat alot of Liver and other high blood/iron content meats.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:58 PM

I had tons of testing when I was going through a hematologist, and it was determined to be microcytic, not macrocytic...they ruled out any disease-based origin like internal bleeding from colorectal cancer, lesions, etc., and pernicious anemia. I don't have either a B12 or folic acid deficiency. I don't have any of the hereditary, ethnically-connected anemias like Sickle Cell or Fanconi's, either. I'm guessing it's not aplastic anemia, or I'd likely already be dead, since I haven't consistently treated it in the past four years or so.

From all counts, just garden variety iron deficiency anemia.

The cause of the anemia is menorrhagia, which I've suffered from as long as I've been menstruating. Most anemic women suffer from iron deficiency anemia, and of those who do, by far the most common cause is very heavy periods (except in undeveloped countries, where it's internal bleeding due to parasitic infections, which I also don't have), so what I'm dealing with is not uncommon at all. Oral contraceptives have helped stem the flow somewhat in the past, but I no longer take them for various health reasons. And even when they lightened my period, it wasn't enough that the anemia ceased to be a concern. It's just a matter of excessive menstrual blood loss...bad genes.

As far as food goes, it's not really a dietary issue, it's an absorption issue. I eat iron-rich meats, which contain heme iron, a form of iron more easily absorbed than the non-heme iron found in various plants, nuts, and grains. I also take in tons of non-heme iron. The issue is that my body is resistant to absorbing it. I can eat liver and kidney all day, my hematocrit doesn't reflect it, because it's going in, going out, and there's no appreciable absorption.

There's no prescription medication that works better than a straight iron supplement, and iron supplements are very inexpensive and OTC. Unfortunately, for a lot of people, certain types have nasty side effects, and the only one that seems to work for me thus far is one of the nasty side effect ones.

So far today, I took the slow FE, and haven't noticed the nausea...we'll see if the other gastric disturbances become an issue, and in a few weeks, we'll also see if they're even absorbing and doing any good. My worry is that the buffer that makes them gentler on the stomach and intestines will also hinder absorption. Time will tell. I was just wondering if anybody'd had any luck with that particular supplement, since what I have is so common.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I was told to drink orange juice and that helps it be absorbed. I would also add iron rich food, red meat, spinich, liver, and blackstrap mollassas (maybe make a shake with some in it).

Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 AM

Right, do all that, still no real absorption success without specific supplements. What I need is a supplement that absorbs AND that doesn't make me sick.

Update on the slow-release ferrous sulfate...pretty much the same bad side effects as the regular. Blah. I had high hopes, but nope.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:31 AM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Wow, that is tough! I am anemic too, so I can relate, but I don't have it as bad as you. Anemia is no fun!

This is rough because one reason you are probably having the gastrointestinal problems is that excess of iron greatly hinders the ability of your intestines to absorb fiber. (It works the other way around as well.) Given that you have such a deficiency, you are probably going to have some issues no matter what drug you are taking!

I am sorry to hear about your problems. Good luck finding something that works!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Yeah, I make a conscious effort to load up on fiber, overall, whether I'm doing iron supplementin gor not...doesn't really make any difference, which sucks.

It ticks me off, I am very conscious to eat well, I hate feeling like my health in this regard is more or less outta my hands.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,478 times
I don't know your age or exactly how this affects you. Maybe it's time to consider a hysterectomy if age/health are appropriate since you know what causes it and if the anemia is serious enough to have the surgery. Maybe there's another hormone that could slow the periods...I know b/c pills do that but for some other reason you can't take those.

What a predictament!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements