U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,851,069 times

Advertisements

I was recently prescribed Flagyl for a suspected oral infection / bad tooth / abscess. I've been taking it for 3 days now. I say "suspected" because I haven't been able to get in to the dentist, but spoke with my health care provider about the pain I'm having and since it's highly likely that it's tooth related, she wanted to go ahead and put me on the antibiotic anyway, since the dentist will most likely need to do that when I do get in. I am probably looking at extractions and/or root canals (plural).

I am very prone to yeast infections, bad ones that are a bear to get rid of. I have probiotic capsules in my fridge. I also have yogurt galore (both for eating, and plain kind for other application), and antifungal cream at the ready, and garlic, and so on.

I am supposed to take the Flagyl 3x a day. My question is, is it likely to give me a yeast infection and if so should I be taking the probiotics along with it?

If so, how do I decide when to take the probiotics if I am taking the Flagyl 3x a day? I thought I read that you were not supposed to take a probiotic close to the time when you take an antibiotic. Or is that not right?

I want to head off any possible yeasties but I'm not sure HOW to use the probiotics to do that...

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 02:17 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,653,671 times
First of all it sucks that some idiot would prescribe you something without even seeing you! Pain=antibiotic??? Okay. . .

Yes, take a probiotic. Take it now. Take it everyday even when you are not on antibiotics. Get a MULTI one that says "over 1billion" on it. Take it on an empty stomach in the morning or after you are done eating/before you go to bed.

Good luck. And next time, wait until someone can see you to take an antibiotic IMO. . .

Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
First of all it sucks that some idiot would prescribe you something without even seeing you! Pain=antibiotic??? Okay. . .

Yes, take a probiotic. Take it now. Take it everyday even when you are not on antibiotics. Get a MULTI one that says "over 1billion" on it. Take it on an empty stomach in the morning or after you are done eating/before you go to bed.

Good luck. And next time, wait until someone can see you to take an antibiotic IMO. . .
Thanks...

I am sorry if I wasn't clear. I was SEEN, just not by a dentist. It's a long story but I've been having headaches and other stuff for a while now. When the head pain started to include 2 teeth (which are visibly bad, and one is cracked) and a bad taste in the mouth, pain in my jaw and cheek, and I had visible abscesses last month, it became fairly obvious that even if the teeth aren't the root of my headaches, there are tooth problems going on. So when I was at a doc appointment for these headache issues (and a pain meds refill) and I was telling her that I also suspected tooth problems, she prescribed the antibiotic.

Every single time I have been to the dentist (especially when I know I will need an extraction and / or a root canal) they always give an antibiotic and make you come back after you've taken it for a few days or a week. She was just trying to avoid this "wait" time, so I can go to the dentist and be able to tell them I've already been taking the antibiotic for a few days and hopefully they can take care of these 2 teeth immediately vs looking in my mouth and handing me the antibiotic and having me come back a week later, when I'm in pain as it is.

The issue is, it's a sliding scale / low cost clinic that I go to where you pay based on income, and the dental clinic has a one month (or more) wait list at all times. So I have to call every morning to see if there have been cancellations as that's the only way to "get in" for an urgent issue... and I should be able to get in this week, hopefully, and the antibiotic will already be over with or in my system or whatever.

I can't just go to any dentist (no health insurance)...

Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Thanks...

I am sorry if I wasn't clear. I was SEEN, just not by a dentist. It's a long story but I've been having headaches and other stuff for a while now. When the head pain started to include 2 teeth (which are visibly bad, and one is cracked) and a bad taste in the mouth, pain in my jaw and cheek, and I had visible abscesses last month, it became fairly obvious that even if the teeth aren't the root of my headaches, there are tooth problems going on. So when I was at a doc appointment for these headache issues (and a pain meds refill) and I was telling her that I also suspected tooth problems, she prescribed the antibiotic.

Every single time I have been to the dentist (especially when I know I will need an extraction and / or a root canal) they always give an antibiotic and make you come back after you've taken it for a few days or a week. She was just trying to avoid this "wait" time, so I can go to the dentist and be able to tell them I've already been taking the antibiotic for a few days and hopefully they can take care of these 2 teeth immediately vs looking in my mouth and handing me the antibiotic and having me come back a week later, when I'm in pain as it is.

The issue is, it's a sliding scale / low cost clinic that I go to where you pay based on income, and the dental clinic has a one month (or more) wait list at all times. So I have to call every morning to see if there have been cancellations as that's the only way to "get in" for an urgent issue... and I should be able to get in this week, hopefully, and the antibiotic will already be over with or in my system or whatever.

I can't just go to any dentist (no health insurance)...
I would never take any antibiotic without the doctor drawing blood and checking my white blood cell count. That is the only true way to determine if there is an infection in the body. Otherwise you are just throwing medication at something that is suspected, and may not be the problem at all.

Your issues could be caused by many different things. I realize that you don't have health care, however, I would certainly start taking some echincea, goldenseal, LARGE amounts of vitamin C (like three or four grams a day), and definitely some probiotic. I would also take some astralagus to boost my immune system. Then after about a week or so, I would go get my blood drawn. Most likely, if you can boost your immune system up any infection will be cleared up nicely without the need of antibiotics. Taking them in a non-life threatening situation is never a good idea.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would never take any antibiotic without the doctor drawing blood and checking my white blood cell count. That is the only true way to determine if there is an infection in the body. Otherwise you are just throwing medication at something that is suspected, and may not be the problem at all.

Your issues could be caused by many different things. I realize that you don't have health care, however, I would certainly start taking some echincea, goldenseal, LARGE amounts of vitamin C (like three or four grams a day), and definitely some probiotic. I would also take some astralagus to boost my immune system. Then after about a week or so, I would go get my blood drawn. Most likely, if you can boost your immune system up any infection will be cleared up nicely without the need of antibiotics. Taking them in a non-life threatening situation is never a good idea.

20yrsinBranson

In the future (since the antibiotics were already taken) do as stated above. There is no reason anyone should ever take an antibiotic without knowing for sure you need them!!!

This is why we have so many problems with our antibiotic today! Not to mention you don't need them and all you do is clear up all your good bacteria making you a prime spot to infect over and over and over again!!!

My advice would be not to take any more antibiotics unless extreme danger/ DEATH is the other option!!!

It's a wonder she has had so many yeast infections!!

Along with some C and probiotics, I tell all the patients I work with to take a good Fish/Cod Liver oil and at LEAST 2000IU of vitamin D a day!!!

A good C is "C+Biofiz"

I'm sorry the OP doesn't have better healthcare

Old 08-23-2009, 03:05 PM

I hear ya... I do...

but I don't take antibiotics often. Really! I have in the past for dental stuff, years and years ago. Under similar circumstances.

The yeast infections have not been related at all because I haven't taken antibiotics in forever. I haven't had antibiotics in a few years at least. I understand about verifying infection with blood tests and all that but in my case that would involve a separate appointment at least a week later (maybe 2) for the lab work, another out of pocket charge, and then a two WEEK wait to find out any results. It's just the way things are done there and it's my only option at this point.

And there was the hope that she's right and there is an infection going on and the antibiotics, if they clear it up, would help with the pain that is pretty much destroying my daily life right now. I'm grasping at straws with this pain... and the whole clinic thing means no referrals to try and get to the bottom of what is causing it. Not now at least. I'm trying to get on another program through this same clinic that will help with costs for things like that (so I can be referred to neurology, get an MRI, etc) but it's again a long wait.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would never take any antibiotic without the doctor drawing blood and checking my white blood cell count. That is the only true way to determine if there is an infection in the body.

Actually, this is not true. There are MANY infections that do NOTHING to the white blood cell count. Most brain abscesses don't affect the white count. And many liver abscesses don't even present with fever. Dental infections are often very contained, by the very nature of the closed spaces in which they occur and should be taken care of ASAP by a dentist. Antibiotics go only so far. I don't mean to frighten you, but untreated dental infections in the upper jaw can lead to brain abscesses and in both upper and lower jaws can lead to bone infecitons. The source of the infection (the decaying tooth) needs to be cleaned up or removed.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-23-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I hear ya... I do...

but I don't take antibiotics often. Really! I have in the past for dental stuff, years and years ago. Under similar circumstances.

The yeast infections have not been related at all because I haven't taken antibiotics in forever. I haven't had antibiotics in a few years at least. I understand about verifying infection with blood tests and all that but in my case that would involve a separate appointment at least a week later (maybe 2) for the lab work, another out of pocket charge, and then a two WEEK wait to find out any results. It's just the way things are done there and it's my only option at this point.

And there was the hope that she's right and there is an infection going on and the antibiotics, if they clear it up, would help with the pain that is pretty much destroying my daily life right now. I'm grasping at straws with this pain... and the whole clinic thing means no referrals to try and get to the bottom of what is causing it. Not now at least. I'm trying to get on another program through this same clinic that will help with costs for things like that (so I can be referred to neurology, get an MRI, etc) but it's again a long wait.

I'm really sorry. I wish I could help. I can only tell you what I would do and what doctors/chiros around me would tell you to do.

I would wait until you have the teeth taken care of to get an MRI. You don't need all those expensive worthless tests if it's your teeth. They are going to probably take xrays at the dentist anyhow.

Get the teeth taken care of. I'm so sorry you have pain Go to a WHOLE FOODS and talk to someone in the homeopathic isle and get some natural pain relief/anti inflamatory please. They have really helpful people there. They can also explain the probiotics.

Just be sure to tell them STRAIGHT UP that you need and want the cheapest way to do things, since you are short on cash. While many products work the same, the expensive ones are more liked by many. It somehow means $=Better, but it is not the case and they will definitely work with you.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM

305 posts, read 1,125,025 times
Quote:
I was recently prescribed Flagyl for a suspected oral infection / bad tooth / abscess. I've been taking it for 3 days now. I say "suspected" because I haven't been able to get in to the dentist, but spoke with my health care provider about the pain I'm having and since it's highly likely that it's tooth related, she wanted to go ahead and put me on the antibiotic anyway, since the dentist will most likely need to do that when I do get in. I am probably looking at extractions and/or root canals (plural).

I am very prone to yeast infections, bad ones that are a bear to get rid of. I have probiotic capsules in my fridge. I also have yogurt galore (both for eating, and plain kind for other application), and antifungal cream at the ready, and garlic, and so on.

I am supposed to take the Flagyl 3x a day. My question is, is it likely to give me a yeast infection and if so should I be taking the probiotics along with it?

If so, how do I decide when to take the probiotics if I am taking the Flagyl 3x a day? I thought I read that you were not supposed to take a probiotic close to the time when you take an antibiotic. Or is that not right?

I want to head off any possible yeasties but I'm not sure HOW to use the probiotics to do that...

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
I have had yeast issues for years, and have just recently gotten them totally under control (have not had a yeast infection in 3 months) and was pretty much before at a constant state of some yeast and monthly "flare-ups".

Besides the probiotics, which are excellent (some are better than others). Make sure they are refrigerated section, if you buy them off the shelf they are not good, as the probiotics need to be live. Search for one with the greatest number of strains and the highest number of units. For instance the one I currently have has 14 strains and 20 billion units. I took these conistently for about 2 weeks and noticed dramtic difference. When and if you have a yeast infection, you can take double the dose.

Also, you need to remove all sugar from your diet, as well as any processed starch foods, including any pastas, rice, pretty much anything that will be broken down into a simple sugar, since all these foods (and beverages) are "feeding" the yeast outgrowth in your body.

My yeast was under control with the probiotics after a few weeks, but I only noticed complete recovery from yeast symptoms (including excrutiating headaches) after complete removal of all sugar and starch from my diet. It is difficult to do, but you will feel so much better that you will KNOW that it is worth the extra effort.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times
I take a probiotic and a Cranberry 10,000+ every day and haven't had a yeast infection in years even when I've been on antibiotics.

I just take one of each every morning regardless of how often I have to have the antibiotic. It works for me.

Oh and I should add that I buy the refrigerated probiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or