U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 PM

27,850 posts, read 45,658,889 times

Advertisements

Vitamin D is a vitamin we can get for free. It comes from the natural UVB rays of the sun and when people get enough vitamin D it can protect the body’s immune system and prevent ill health.

Most of the United States population, however, is vitamin D deficient.

Vitamin D linked to cancer prevention, yet 85% of Americans are vitamin D deficient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM

8,739 posts, read 5,195,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Vitamin D is a vitamin we can get for free. It comes from the natural UVB rays of the sun and when people get enough vitamin D it can protect the body’s immune system and prevent ill health.

Most of the United States population, however, is vitamin D deficient.

Vitamin D linked to cancer prevention, yet 85% of Americans are vitamin D deficient
John, that's very true ... it's been widely discussed in the alternative media for a good long while ... mainstream media is just now catching up.

An interesting aside to this is a study done by a Swedish team of researchers who have charted increases in skin cancer that coincides with the increases in sun screen usage. The sun screen seems to block the natural production of vitamin D (the cancer preventative), while the absorption of the UVA rays by the chemical components (same components that are used in the lab to culture cancer cells) penetrate deeper into the layers of the skin than these UV rays would otherwise be capable of, and remain there long after one has come in from the sun.

There these chemicals sit with accumulated UV, irradiating adjacent healthy cells for hours after sun exposure ceases.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:07 PM

16,000 posts, read 5,026,065 times
Old post, but good to read and take action.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:18 PM

26,483 posts, read 27,275,592 times
One extra note, the amount of vitamin D needed differs greatly based on latitude, skin color and season. I can't seem to find this website anymore, but I calculated how much sun exposure I would need and it was something like 8-10 hours a day. Clearly that is impossible, so I absolutely need to supplement. That 15 minutes a day estimate is not accurate or one size fits all.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:40 PM

16,000 posts, read 5,026,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One extra note, the amount of vitamin D needed differs greatly based on latitude, skin color and season. I can't seem to find this website anymore, but I calculated how much sun exposure I would need and it was something like 8-10 hours a day. Clearly that is impossible, so I absolutely need to supplement. That 15 minutes a day estimate is not accurate or one size fits all.
My Vit D tank got empty after I came in from the sunbathing I did for many years. I had read somewhere that one could get 20K vit D on the beach in bathing suit for like 6-8 hrs. I did that many hours a lot in my life before my early 50's hit. Then I did come in from the Sun and didn't have a clue what I was doing re: Vit D needs. I was feeling a lowness in 2006 and put it all together with the help of my sister who dealt with MS and talked the Vit D and MS patients.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:00 PM

26,483 posts, read 27,275,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My Vit D tank got empty after I came in from the sunbathing I did for many years. I had read somewhere that one could get 20K vit D on the beach in bathing suit for like 6-8 hrs. I did that many hours a lot in my life before my early 50's hit. Then I did come in from the Sun and didn't have a clue what I was doing re: Vit D needs. I was feeling a lowness in 2006 and put it all together with the help of my sister who dealt with MS and talked the Vit D and MS patients.
Depends! I am sure you can get plenty if you have lighter skin. People with more melanin absorb the Vitamin D way more slowly!

Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 PM

465 posts, read 199,865 times
If you don't have enough cholesterol or sulfate in your skin, you'll never make enough vitamin D. You also need, Vitamin K2 and Vitamin A to activate the Vitamin D-produced proteins with calcium. If you have a chronic infection, then you will spend a lot of Vitamin D fighting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or