Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,580,187 times

Advertisements

I thoroughly respect everyone's belief systems about their own nutrition. Especially if it's working for them.

Each of us has to design a way of eating and lifestyle that works with our particular blood chemistry--to protect our heart and all other aspects of our health. Obviously, many Americans are failing to do this. Our diets have gotten out of hand and our health is suffering for it.

Of course, I'm fond of my own belief system as it works great for me. A recent lipid panel found my triglycerides to be 102, and my total cholesterol at 183. All other aspects of the complete blood panel were excellent. This is with no medication, only using exercise, food, a few supplements and stress reduction through yoga.

My physician was very pleased with the results and told me to keep up the good work..which, of course, I intend to. I like being healthy and feeling good. Who doesn't?

So for those of you who embrace and eat saturated fact and have great results for your particular body chemistry, I would say "keep up the good work!" too.

But if your numbers are high, you're overweight by more than 5-10 pounds and not feeling well, have any inflammatory or circulation conditions, are taking medications, or being told by your doctor to lose weight, then look to your diet and make adjustments as you see fit--and as advised by your doctor.

Believing in something is fine if the results bear out the beliefs.

Today our level of exercise has dramatically changed from our ancestor's hunter-gathering days of long ago...and I doubt many of them were morbidly obese or had the heart conditions we're seeing today.

PS

Check out the Nova series on prehistoric man to see just how far and for how long the Kalahari Bushmen run to bring an antelope to exhaustion...you'll be amazed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,522,799 times
Thank you. My Mom died at 58, she ate a lot of hydrogenated foods; but she was thin, 5'11 130 lbs.: the autopsy was; atheroclerotic heart disease, which never showed up in those days, esp. For busy women with kids and a career; I'm just trying to help women be aware; in the 80's and 90's we did not have the knowledge and wonderful prevention we can utilize today.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,338,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thank you. My Mom died at 58, she ate a lot of hydrogenated foods; but she was thin, 5'11 130 lbs.: the autopsy was; atheroclerotic heart disease, which never showed up in those days, esp. For busy women with kids and a career; I'm just trying to help women be aware; in the 80's and 90's we did not have the knowledge and wonderful prevention we can utilize today.
I agree. Hydrogenated oils aka trans fats is really one of the worst things a human being can consume. I applaud Mayor Bloomberg for implifying the law in New York to eliminate trans fats from New York restaurants.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,522,799 times
I'm glad to hear NY Mayor stepped in, in NE Tennessee, they eat Hardees pork biscuit sandwiches for breakfast(Ugh!!!)---i know its a whole new thread/topic, but I feel sorry for teenage kids being brought up by parents who feed them McD's and hog jowls,and don't educate themselves....a lot of the heartland is like this....vitamins, soy protein and some legumes can replace meat.....I guess I'm very upset to see 17 year olds in the south with heart disease of a 70 year old.....my brother hated his cardio internship for surgery in Maryland bcs he said the patients NEVER complied with the doctors orders, and sure enough were having angioplasty at age 30-sad.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM

14,879 posts, read 8,495,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I find it hard to believe an earlier post saying margarine and high cholesterol are fine, trans fats, palm oil actually any oil other than olive is rampantly used in procesed foods in the US where we have the highest rates of heart disease.

My brother is a surgeon, says to watch hyperlipdemia and poor diet, and statin drugs are not the issue here, also my father lived to be 80 taking Verapamil, and I seriously dounbt ANY dr would say that a womans heart was destroyed by statins.....Thank you bsbear, I need facts not emotional opinion and hearsay

This topic is too important and I believe ignored in the US/ food lobbyist culture.
BTW, if you are referring to my post ... I think you misunderstood the point about margarine. I was in no way suggesting that margarine was healthy. I was merely pointing out that margarine was touted as the "answer" to replace the alleged "dangerous" saturated fat contained in butter, per the same experts that were later forced to admit that maybe they were wrong about margarine.

As for your doubts, there are plenty of doctors that know, understand the mechanism, and speak about ill effects of statin drugs on your heart. Just search "Statin Induced Cardiopathy".

This is not an emotional issue or a conspiracy theory. It is fact. And this is very relevant to the main question of the thread ... coenzyme Q-10 depletion due to statin drug action which inhibits the C Q 10 synthesis is leading to an increased rate of heart disease and liver damage.

Doctors have been petitioning the FDA to make supplementation with CO Q-10 a mandatory disclosure warning concurrent with statin drug prescription information.

Here's the link to the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dai...bit_A-vol1.pdf

Here's the link to the commentary on this issue of Statin Induced Cardiomyopathy:

statin induced heart disease

Here's a detailed description identifying vitamin C deficiency as the culprit in CVD, and not cholesterol HDL/LDL. Also relevant to this thread ... as vitamin C supplementation would be a great thing to look at.

The Vitamin C Theory of Heart Disease

In short, only species incapable of vitamin C synthesis (Humans and Guinea pigs) have developed a substance - Lipoprotein(a) - LP(a) which is a variant of LDL that binds to the cracks in the artery walls that have occurred due to vitamin C deficiency.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:38 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,183,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
BTW, if you are referring to my post ... I think you misunderstood the point about margarine. I was in no way suggesting that margarine was healthy. I was merely pointing out that margarine was touted as the "answer" to replace the alleged "dangerous" saturated fat contained in butter, per the same experts that were later forced to admit that maybe they were wrong about margarine.

As for your doubts, there are plenty of doctors that know, understand the mechanism, and speak about ill effects of statin drugs on your heart. Just search "Statin Induced Cardiopathy".

This is not an emotional issue or a conspiracy theory. It is fact. And this is very relevant to the main question of the thread ... coenzyme Q-10 depletion due to statin drug action which inhibits the C Q 10 synthesis is leading to an increased rate of heart disease and liver damage.

Doctors have been petitioning the FDA to make supplementation with CO Q-10 a mandatory disclosure warning concurrent with statin drug prescription information.

Here's the link to the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dai...bit_A-vol1.pdf

Here's the link to the commentary on this issue of Statin Induced Cardiomyopathy:

statin induced heart disease

Here's a detailed description identifying vitamin C deficiency as the culprit in CVD, and not cholesterol HDL/LDL. Also relevant to this thread ... as vitamin C supplementation would be a great thing to look at.

The Vitamin C Theory of Heart Disease

In short, only species incapable of vitamin C synthesis (Humans and Guinea pigs) have developed a substance - Lipoprotein(a) - LP(a) which is a variant of LDL that binds to the cracks in the artery walls that have occurred due to vitamin C deficiency.
Many doctors subscribe to your fairy tale about statin induced cardiomyopathy????

Nope....sorry....

You found ONE...

Here is a more recent study from an actual reputable medical journal showing a role for statins in REVERSING cardiomyopathy......imagine that

Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy -- Node et al. 108 (7): 839 -- Circulation

Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,580,187 times
I think statin and other prescribed medications are great for some conditions and less than great for others. Each of us needs to conduct our own due diligence and decide whether a prescribed medication is likely to do us well or ill.

If I were facing a life-threatening health condition, I'd likely try life-style changes first, but if those did not change my likely outcome for the better, I'd probably opt for the medication. But being me, I'd exhaust all the lifestyle changes and more gentle herbs and supplements first. But that's my particular orientation of first 'do no harm.'

My particular mind and body chemistry--and past experience--do not respond too well to most prescriptions...I've had some negative outcomes after prescribed medications.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,524,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Today our level of exercise has dramatically changed from our ancestor's hunter-gathering days of long ago...and I doubt many of them were morbidly obese or had the heart conditions we're seeing today.
That is so true as our DNA is designed to move as that's why exercise is so beneficial to humans. I was reading about the gene studies where they did before and after DNA samples where they could see certain genes expressing for nitric oxide to expand the arteries when we exercise and that when we don't exercise it results in abnormal gene expression which in turn frequently manifests itself as clinically overt disease.

Interesting that the scientists in this posted study mentioned that our Hunter Gatherer DNA still express when we exercise and so i believe that certain genes also express for wellness when we eat our ancient pre agriculture foods that they ate back then over the hundreds of thousands of years when humans resided in Africa.

Exercise and gene expression: physiological regulation of the human genome through physical activity - Journal of Physiology

Exercise adaptation attenuates VEGF gene expressio... [Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000] - PubMed result

Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM

14,879 posts, read 8,495,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Many doctors subscribe to your fairy tale about statin induced cardiomyopathy????

Nope....sorry....

You found ONE...

Here is a more recent study from an actual reputable medical journal showing a role for statins in REVERSING cardiomyopathy......imagine that

Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy -- Node et al. 108 (7): 839 -- Circulation
That coenzyme Q-10 plays a "role" in healthy heart function is demonstrated, scientific fact. And as a reference, a study published by The National Cancer Institute regarding coenzyme Q-10 as protecting cancer patients from cardiotoxicity during treatment expounds on the necessary role of CO Q-10 in healthy heart function, and it's associated heavy concentration in healthy hearts.

Coenzyme Q10 - National Cancer Institute

It's not just common sense, but plainly obvious, and does not require a great mind to consider that if CO Q-10 is needed for healthy heart function (FACT) that disruption of production of CO Q-10 by statin drugs (FACT) would have a negative effect on cardiac functions.

Anyone with a basic level of analytical skill should be capable of grasping the idea that an organ which requires a specific substance for healthy function would conversely suffer a depletion of that substance?

So, are you feeling the point here? If not, this article, along with a list of references at the end include far many more than one doctor.

~ Cardiologists Overlook Lifesaving Discovery

Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,183,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That coenzyme Q-10 plays a "role" in healthy heart function is demonstrated, scientific fact. And as a reference, a study published by The National Cancer Institute regarding coenzyme Q-10 as protecting cancer patients from cardiotoxicity during treatment expounds on the necessary role of CO Q-10 in healthy heart function, and it's associated heavy concentration in healthy hearts.

Coenzyme Q10 - National Cancer Institute

It's not just common sense, but plainly obvious, and does not require a great mind to consider that if CO Q-10 is needed for healthy heart function (FACT) that disruption of production of CO Q-10 by statin drugs (FACT) would have a negative effect on cardiac functions.

Anyone with a basic level of analytical skill should be capable of grasping the idea that an organ which requires a specific substance for healthy function would conversely suffer a depletion of that substance?

So, are you feeling the point here? If not, this article, along with a list of references at the end include far many more than one doctor.

~ Cardiologists Overlook Lifesaving Discovery

Sorry, nope, not seeing your point here...

There isn't one.

You posted an "article" from the Life Extension Foundation

A completely bogus entity.

As for the references it lists, only 2 or 3 have ANYTHING to do with CO-Q10 and its role in cardiology....and those 2 or 3....same author that you already referenced.

So, you still have your *1* expert in your corner...

Along with the Life Extension Foundation, Paul Weston Price Foundation and the Orthomolecular Medicine Journal

I only have the American College of Cardiology, American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Heart Association, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute et al on my side

Mod cut:not necessary

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-12-2009 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Keep the comments with the word 'you' out of it, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements