U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 PM

37 posts, read 135,058 times

Advertisements

My hair has been looking like crap since I had my baby, and I can't seem to get it back to normal. I have been researching various herbal supplements that are beneficial to hair, skin and nails. Granted, I have been changing my eating habits and I've been trying to go organic as much as I possibly can, but there are some items that I can only seem to find in the supplements (currently I am taking MAXI-HAIR which I found at Whole Foods, and I can't remember everything it contains, but it has horsetail extract, b vitamins, c, e, d, msm...? and I'm taking hemp oil and omega-3 fish oils, w. Now I haven't been working out like I should be, will this have an effect on how well my body will absorb the nutrients from the vitamins and herbal supplements? I'm also taking aloe vera shots throughout the day, which is fortified with some kind of absorbic acid that claims helps with the absorbtion of other vitamins and nutrients into your body. But, without working out, is it just going straight through me? Thanks for the help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,166,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohoMama2009 View Post
My hair has been looking like crap since I had my baby, and I can't seem to get it back to normal. I have been researching various herbal supplements that are beneficial to hair, skin and nails. Granted, I have been changing my eating habits and I've been trying to go organic as much as I possibly can, but there are some items that I can only seem to find in the supplements (currently I am taking MAXI-HAIR which I found at Whole Foods, and I can't remember everything it contains, but it has horsetail extract, b vitamins, c, e, d, msm...? and I'm taking hemp oil and omega-3 fish oils, w. Now I haven't been working out like I should be, will this have an effect on how well my body will absorb the nutrients from the vitamins and herbal supplements? I'm also taking aloe vera shots throughout the day, which is fortified with some kind of absorbic acid that claims helps with the absorbtion of other vitamins and nutrients into your body. But, without working out, is it just going straight through me? Thanks for the help.
Why do you think that working out has anything to do with to what degree you absorb nutrients?
That makes absolutely no sense ... to me.
It's good to get enough exercise but that's another issue for the most part.
Exercise (in balance) and being healthy and strong, sufficiently oxygenated, etc., etc., certainly improves all bodily functions but the direct connection you're making is questionable i think.
And your hair issue may have to do with hormones / hormonal imbalance.
I don't know but it's possible.
Before spending money on hair supplements (which may or may not be effective) it may be a good idea to find out what is causing the hair issue.
Is it thinning?
Dull? ... just kinda drab and "dead" looking?
Dry?
Just curious.
Maybe Max'sMama will come along and give you some advice about supplementing with super foods instead of what you're doing.
For example, i like bee pollen ... good for hair! good for lots of things.
Blue Green Algae is another way to supplement your daily diet.
And a variety of sea vegetables are excellent for the hair.
I regularly use a drink called VitaMineral Green.
just a few examples some options other than vitamin pills.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-25-2010 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 05:10 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,986,181 times
Quote:
How long has it been since you gave birth? It's normal for women to lose a lot of hair within the first year after giving birth. Most of the time, it goes back to normal after a year.
To my limited knowledge, there are few different reasons for hairloss:

Birth
Stress
Inadequate nutrition/blood deficiency/anemia of some sorts
Heavy metal toxicity
Thyroid.

You may need to get bloodwork done to see what's up.

MSM, horsetail and all those herbs sometimes help. Ultimately, if you have some kind of blood deficiency, it won't help much. Building your blood with a supplement that's similar to Vitamineral Green (just like Coyote recommended) can definitely help with that. Hemp oil, coconut oil, fish oil can all enhance the look of your hair and slow down the hair loss, but again, the best way to find out is to get your blood checked with a regular physician. Once you get that under control, you can take it from there and see how to proceed. Regular physician most likely will not know exactly what to do with hair loss, he may recommend to take synthetic iron pills, scratch that off your list.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Yes, that's wise imo ... to use an m.d. for blood work, etc. and then learn how to address any underlying issues via natural means.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM

I didn't think it made any sense either! Someone told me that, and I thought it sounded fishy, that's why I thought I'd ask.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
How long has it been since you gave birth? It's normal for women to lose a lot of hair within the first year after giving birth. Most of the time, it goes back to normal after a year.
To my limited knowledge, there are few different reasons for hairloss:

Birth
Stress
Inadequate nutrition/blood deficiency/anemia of some sorts
Heavy metal toxicity
Thyroid.

You may need to get bloodwork done to see what's up.

MSM, horsetail and all those herbs sometimes help. Ultimately, if you have some kind of blood deficiency, it won't help much. Building your blood with a supplement that's similar to Vitamineral Green (just like Coyote recommended) can definitely help with that. Hemp oil, coconut oil, fish oil can all enhance the look of your hair and slow down the hair loss, but again, the best way to find out is to get your blood checked with a regular physician. Once you get that under control, you can take it from there and see how to proceed. Regular physician most likely will not know exactly what to do with hair loss, he may recommend to take synthetic iron pills, scratch that off your list.
Thanks everyone for the help! It's still withint the first year since I had my little man, he just turned 10 months a few days ago. My hair was thinning a lot, and I could just be under a lot of stress because there's a lot going on right now, so hopefully the hair will come back. I'm trying to develop a better, healthier lifestyle in general, so I'm trying to gather a list of the most effective, potent super foods/herbal supplements/vitamins out there to acheive the best results. I have been taking a Maxi-hair herbal supplement which seems to make my hair much softer, but it's not re-growing my hair that I've lost due to thinning from the pregnancy. I'm also doing a daily dose of b12 vitamins to help with energy, and I'm trying to manage the stress, but so far not so good. I'm getting there, though. My ends were really dry before I started on the Maxi-hair, but that's back to normal-I really need to get my hair trimmed to get rid of dead ends :-/ Any other advice on relieving the stress? Thanks again, all.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Oh, and I did get my blood checked, my thyroid seems fine, so it must be birth/stress

Old 01-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I did get my blood checked, my thyroid seems fine, so it must be birth/stress
Does an o.k. thyroid test (which seems like a complex thing and a challenge to read correctly from what i've read on the forum) suggest that there isn't hormonal imbalance?
Someone may know the answer but i'm thinking that hormonal imbalance would be determined by a more thorough/comprehensive hormonal testing ... not just a thyroid test?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,048,655 times
Quote:
My hair has been looking like crap since I had my baby, and I can't seem to get it back to normal.
I just want to say that it would probably be best to get a GOOD hairstylist to actually look at your hair to see if it's really as bad as you say it is. Also, due to having a baby your body has just went though a massive hormonal change and it will take time for things to normalize again.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I just want to say that it would probably be best to get a GOOD hairstylist to actually look at your hair to see if it's really as bad as you say it is. Also, due to having a baby your body has just went though a massive hormonal change and it will take time for things to normalize again.

I've read hair can thin out after having a baby. Does it come back, or is it lost forever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or