Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,697,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I picked up some Nordic Naturals Cod liver oil today btw, so thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,517,037 times
The ALA in flax AND walnuts is still good stuff. I, too tend to eat the ground flax seed. I put that on my oatmeal or cereal. Still take the fish oil. Still eat fish every other night, with wild caught salmon and tuna at LEAST once a week.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,797,017 times
I was talking about flaxseed pills not oil. Is that ok from the drug store? I know regardless the real thing such as oil,seed etc is better then supplements but it is better then nothing I thought to at least have the pill form. I used to buy ground flaxseed from whole foods and put it in oatmeal but it is not my favorite but may try to aquire a taste for it

Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,023,431 times
Quote:
I've added Flax seed capsules to my diet over the last month and have noticed a remarkable increase in my ability to focus. I originally was just taking to help with my adrenal glands (Diagnosed with adrenal gland deficiency 6 months ago.)

I've been reading more on Omega 3s and am starting to find that Fish Oil may be more beneficial for my health. I do eat Salmon/fish a couple times a week already. Could I just take the Flax seed as a supplement and up my Salmon intake? Or should I just take Fish oil instead of Flax?

Thoughts?
The fish oil (in the proper ratios 3,6 and 9) is a better supplement to take however not fish oils are created equal. The best on the market are companies that gets fish from deep in the ocean then checks each batch for mercury. Cheap brands I'm sure use fish farms to harvest the oil and probably don't check for heavy metals.

Welcome to Nordic Naturals

Old 02-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I was talking about flaxseed pills not oil. Is that ok from the drug store? I know regardless the real thing such as oil,seed etc is better then supplements but it is better then nothing I thought to at least have the pill form. I used to buy ground flaxseed from whole foods and put it in oatmeal but it is not my favorite but may try to aquire a taste for it
Barleans ... there's a link i provided on one of these pages ... has the oil in capsules as well.
When you say "pills" i'm assuming you mean capsules?
The quality of the oil, whether in capsules or in the bottle, is what makes the difference.
Unless drug stores are now selling high quality flax oil (which i doubt), it's really better to get a good oil from Whole Foods (or any health food store) or from an on-line source.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM

4,359 posts, read 4,527,961 times
Since I've been taking the Omega-3 fish oil to lower my triglycerides, my digestive system has been, let's say, a little slippery. Is this a common side effect? If so, I'm not sure I can continue. Is there a better alternative?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,023,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Since I've been taking the Omega-3 fish oil to lower my triglycerides, my digestive system has been, let's say, a little slippery. Is this a common side effect?
Yes, to a degree, but are you sure you are not taking too much? Try 1/2 the dose to see if that helps.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
It's too late to add to my other reply to you.
But if you bought ground flax seed i'm fairly certain that the grind was nowhere near fine enough.
That's why it's best to buy your own flax seeds and use a coffee grinder (you know, like those little one by Krups or whatever brand) and grind your own.
It will be as fine as a course flour and for proper assimilation it really does need to be ground that fine.
You might find that a much more finely ground flax seed will be more palatable.
I'm not sure what a flax seed pill is but it's pretty safe to say that you won't be getting the benefits that you would by either grinding your own, buying a bottle of the oil or, if you need to, getting the oil in a capsule form.
You can make a salad dressing with the oil if you don't like the taste of it.
I love it but i suppose for some it would take some getting used to.
I love it over any kind of steamed vegetable.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:19 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,424,496 times
Can I keep taking Flax supplements/ground seeds too now that I'm taking fish oil?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,267,189 times
Quote:
Can I keep taking Flax supplements/ground seeds too now that I'm taking fish oil?
Yes

I would alternate with flax days, though. Keep all systems well oiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements