Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM

7 posts, read 19,992 times

Advertisements

I never said I would not acknowledge a coupon if a patient presented one. But, I do explain that the coupon is temporary and once the coupon expires the price will go up, and comparable generics will be available. Patients appreciate the information.

I do not find Standard Process to be overpriced. With the prices of brand medications into the hundreds & sometimes thousands of dollars, I find SP to be reasonable. Drugs are terribly expensive and you must have a good insurance plan if you don't "see" what they cost. Additionally, many chiros are not gouging their patients and have SP priced modestly.

Some patients do get brand meds direct from the manufacturer and that is a good thing. But, in all my years of practicing I have seen this only a handful of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb81 View Post
I never said I would not acknowledge a coupon if a patient presented one. But, I do explain that the coupon is temporary and once the coupon expires the price will go up, and comparable generics will be available. Patients appreciate the information.

I do not find Standard Process to be overpriced. With the prices of brand medications into the hundreds & sometimes thousands of dollars, I find SP to be reasonable. Drugs are terribly expensive and you must have a good insurance plan if you don't "see" what they cost. Additionally, many chiros are not gouging their patients and have SP priced modestly.

Some patients do get brand meds direct from the manufacturer and that is a good thing. But, in all my years of practicing I have seen this only a handful of times.
What does Standard Process sell that you could not buy as a generic from any chain drug store --- for less? And, as far as I am aware, Standard Process does not sell prescription drugs, so any conversation about prescription drug costs is irrelevant.

It is common for low income people to get brand prescriptions directly from the manufacturer. Frankly, if you have seen this "only a handful of times" it makes me wonder if you are a pharmacist. You should be referring patients to these programs if they tell you they cannot afford their medication.

Patient Assistance Programs for Prescription Drugs

You are naive if you think chiropractors are not charging out the wazoo for supplements.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 PM

Perhaps one could find whole foods similar to SP in a health food store, but I haven't seen them in a pharmacy. No, SP doesn't sell prescription drugs, but why should the conversation be irrelevant. They are whole food supplements that people use for health. Just because they dont come from a major drug company and arent prescribed by a doctor, they don't count? What about probiotics? They have a cost, aren't prescription, are used by many as a supplement, and work.
I dont have to lay out my educational or professional credentials to you to prove I am anything. Obviously, you have no insight into my world by what you say. Patient assistance programs are fine,but they are not used by many patients, contrary to what you may think. I know what they are....no need to post a link. The majority of people have private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or now, Obamacare. Patients who pay cash are in the minority and we work with them to give them affordable prices. If you are using the program....great...it works for you.
If you think chiros are "charging out the wazoo" for supplements just look at the top 11 drug companies who raked in over 700 billion in profits over 10 years, much of that from price gouging the Medicare & Medicaid via the taxpayer. The government lobbies in washington make sure we continue to take our drugs. I don't understand your anger towards SP and chiros, when big pharma wreaks of greed at the expense of the patient. I don't get your reasoning but......... be in pain; have high blood pressure and blood sugars; stress out your bones and muscles from the extra weight you carry. Go to the doc; get your pills; get side effects & adverse reactions; take more pills to counteract those problems; etc..... I would rather have a healthy diet; take whole food natural supplements; normalize hormones and digestion; be pain free; side effect free and drug free for a fraction of what prescription drugs cost. Once again SP is not for everyone. It depends on your health situation.....talk to your chiro who has studied the biochemistry of them with regards to healthcare.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM

And there lies the key..... buy real fruits & vegetables... eat a decent diet....I agree with you, but how many people do that, realistically??? Look around... how many people and children are overweight. We eat terribly....too many refined foods devoid of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and enzymes. We smoke cigarettes and marijuanna, we drink alcohol.....We stress our bodies with bad habits and run to the doctor to be fixed when things go wrong.

No....supplements will not cure cancer, heart disease, or myocardial infarction as referenced in your google searches.....I never said they should be used for chronic diseases.

But, in certain situations and conditions, supplementation can be beneficial.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb81 View Post
And there lies the key..... buy real fruits & vegetables... eat a decent diet....I agree with you, but how many people do that, realistically??? Look around... how many people and children are overweight. We eat terribly....too many refined foods devoid of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and enzymes. We smoke cigarettes and marijuanna, we drink alcohol.....We stress our bodies with bad habits and run to the doctor to be fixed when things go wrong.

No....supplements will not cure cancer, heart disease, or myocardial infarction as referenced in your google searches.....I never said they should be used for chronic diseases.

But, in certain situations and conditions, supplementation can be beneficial.
If you have a proven deficiency, supplements are beneficial. If you do not, they are worthless. Spend the money on a better diet if you are concerned about nutrition, not on supplements with little bits and pieces of plants and animal parts in them.

If you want to take vitamins and minerals anyway you can do so for pennies a day. You do not have to pay Standard Process prices.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,051 times
Default Livaplex: I have been on Livaplex for 9 years.

I have great results. stage 4 cancer, I would not be here today if not for livaplex. It is pricey. but it is the best. I to, had to go off of it for four months, due to cost, but I really went down hill and had to find a way to get back on it. I started back on it in May 2014 and hope I never have get off it. I tried other, no go. its all in the person. I take 2 pills a day. morn and night. good luck to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airyelle View Post
I've been taking Standard Process supplements for 2 years. At first they seemed to help and now I'm not so sure. Instead of my chiro taking me down on the number of supplements I take, she has almost doubled what I take from two years ago and it is very pricey. I'm also online now trying to find reviews from users. Here is my daily dosage:

As soon as I wake up I take:
Multipro
Gastrex
Zymex

At breakfast I take:
3 Catalyn
3 A-F Betafood
1 Ligaplex
1 Ferrofood

At lunch:
1 Ferrofood
1 Gastrex
1 Ligaplex

At dinner:
1 Ferrofood
1 Gastrex
1 Ligaplex

At bedtime:
1 Ferrofood
1 Zymex

Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lowery View Post
I have great results. stage 4 cancer, I would not be here today if not for livaplex. It is pricey. but it is the best. I to, had to go off of it for four months, due to cost, but I really went down hill and had to find a way to get back on it. I started back on it in May 2014 and hope I never have get off it. I tried other, no go. its all in the person. I take 2 pills a day. morn and night. good luck to you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34574078-post106.html

Old 12-23-2014, 03:08 PM

76 posts, read 265,249 times
Default Standard Process and whole food vitamins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lowery View Post

Glad to hear you are doing well on the SP products Bill. After reading the posts and messages by so many people trashing SP, its great to hear from people getting good results. I find it funny that people that actually don't know, keep commenting on what a "scam" whole food vitamins are. Just because you found an article on the internet to back up a half baked idea, doesn't mean its right.

you simply can not get what you need from a balanced diet anymore. its been proven time and time again that even if you ate all organic, today's modern farming has reduced the nutritional content of food.

whole food supplements are the only supplements. its the isolates that are the scam. i know there are many who have already said that SP and whole food supplements are a scam, but consider this. what is the real scam.... vitamin C being sold as it exists in nature, as a complex? or vitamins C being sold as ascorbic acid which is not vitamin C and only the shell of the vitamin?

For those that ACTUALLY know, they know the difference. For those that say its a scam, you can be sure its because they don't understand it.

An MD recommending TUMS (that is cringe worthy) as a calcium supplement is ridiculous. MDs don't get ANY nutritional training. So why would you take their advice? An MD knows quite a lot about drugs and how the body works, but knows nothing (in most cases) about nutrition. Some MDs may get a semester of nutrition. that is typically about it.

if whole food supplements were actually a scam, that same convoluted logic would say that eating real food is a scam just take pills. that makes no sense.

if you are going to take a vitamin, make sure its an actual vitamin. only whole food vitamins fit that category the rest are just chemicals.

those that know, will agree and understand.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:18 PM

76 posts, read 265,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My doctor actually recommended it, initially, when I was diagnosed with osteopenia, and already was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease some 10 years prior to that. She said I was at risk for osteoporosis, and that I had to get moving, and add calcium, or I'd be in a world of hurt much younger than if I didn't. She initially wanted me on one of those prescription pills that you have to take standing up and you can't sit for 30 minutes - Boniva or one of those types of things.

I didn't want to go that route, and instead promised to up my exercise, and take calcium. I tried the horsepill calcium tablets but couldn't swallow them, so she recommended TUMS.

BTW I don't take the brand-name TUMS. I take the BJ's generic.

just a recommendation but you may want to disregard your doctor's recommendation for Tums (or BJ's generic) and go to Standard Process for real calcium. what you are taking is actually not only not usable for your body but harmful as a calcium supplement. tums is calcium carbonate... and insoluble form of calcium not usable by the body. our bodies are not meant to digest rock. not only that but it will throw off the Ph of your stomach and digestive track making it more alkaline. an alkaline digestive track will have an even harder time with calcium and other minerals.

curious why anybody would think a non food item is a good thing, and food base real vitamins are a "scam"

Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrick View Post
Glad to hear you are doing well on the SP products Bill. After reading the posts and messages by so many people trashing SP, its great to hear from people getting good results. I find it funny that people that actually don't know, keep commenting on what a "scam" whole food vitamins are. Just because you found an article on the internet to back up a half baked idea, doesn't mean its right.

you simply can not get what you need from a balanced diet anymore. its been proven time and time again that even if you ate all organic, today's modern farming has reduced the nutritional content of food.

whole food supplements are the only supplements. its the isolates that are the scam. i know there are many who have already said that SP and whole food supplements are a scam, but consider this. what is the real scam.... vitamin C being sold as it exists in nature, as a complex? or vitamins C being sold as ascorbic acid which is not vitamin C and only the shell of the vitamin?

For those that ACTUALLY know, they know the difference. For those that say its a scam, you can be sure its because they don't understand it.

An MD recommending TUMS (that is cringe worthy) as a calcium supplement is ridiculous. MDs don't get ANY nutritional training. So why would you take their advice? An MD knows quite a lot about drugs and how the body works, but knows nothing (in most cases) about nutrition. Some MDs may get a semester of nutrition. that is typically about it.

if whole food supplements were actually a scam, that same convoluted logic would say that eating real food is a scam just take pills. that makes no sense.

if you are going to take a vitamin, make sure its an actual vitamin. only whole food vitamins fit that category the rest are just chemicals.

those that know, will agree and understand.
Vitamin C:

"Natural and synthetic L-ascorbic acid are chemically identical, and there are no known differences in their biological activity. The possibility that the bioavailability of L-ascorbic acid from natural sources might differ from that of synthetic ascorbic acid was investigated in at least two human studies, and no clinically significant differences were observed. A study of 12 males (6 smokers and 6 nonsmokers) found the bioavailability of synthetic ascorbic acid (powder administered in water) to be slightly superior to that of orange juice, based on blood levels of ascorbic acid, and not different based on ascorbic acid in leukocytes (white blood cells) (1). A study in 68 male nonsmokers found that ascorbic acid consumed in cooked broccoli, orange juice, orange slices, and as synthetic ascorbic acid tablets are equally bioavailable, as measured by plasma ascorbic acid levels "

Essentially what you are saying is that supplements are superior to whole foods. Not true. It is possible to get all the vitamins and minerals you need from a diet that includes a variety of foods from all the major groups. If your diet is likely to be deficient, a supplement can help provide insurance. Your body does not care whether the vitamins and minerals it needs come from a food or a factory, and it is not necessary to get them in separate pills from "whole foods." If you want them from "whole foods", then eat the "whole food". If you want to use a supplement, any USP vitamin and mineral preparation will work fine, and it will cost a lot less than anything from Standard Process.

From a nutritionist:

What Vitamins and Supplements Can and Can't Do

Quote:
just a recommendation but you may want to disregard your doctor's recommendation for Tums (or BJ's generic) and go to Standard Process for real calcium. what you are taking is actually not only not usable for your body but harmful as a calcium supplement. tums is calcium carbonate... and insoluble form of calcium not usable by the body. our bodies are not meant to digest rock. not only that but it will throw off the Ph of your stomach and digestive track making it more alkaline. an alkaline digestive track will have an even harder time with calcium and other minerals.

curious why anybody would think a non food item is a good thing, and food base real vitamins are a "scam"
You contradict yourself again. If TUMS were insoluble, it would not affect the acidity of stomach contents. You cannot have it both ways.

What happens if you actually measure absorption of calcium carbonate?

Absorbability and cost effectiveness in calcium supplementation. - PubMed - NCBI

"All three calcium sources (marketed calcium carbonate, encapsulated calcium carbonate and marketed calcium citrate) produced identical 24-hour time courses for the increment in total serum calcium. Thus, these were equally absorbed and had equivalent bioavailability. Urine calcium rose slightly more with the citrate than with the carbonate preparations, but the difference was not significant. Serum iPTH showed the expected depression accompanying the rise in serum calcium, and there were no significant differences between products."

So, yes, calcium carbonate is a suitable choice as a calcium supplement. It happens to be cheaper than the citrate form, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements