Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times

Advertisements

So you took standprocess supplements?

Because so far the only complaint I see that you have is that they are expensive and not proportioned the way you want them to be.

BTW for others reading this, please understand that many of the supplements are proportioned in a manner that is prescribed by Alternative Health Providers.

For example, I get the Mintran complex which only has a little of magnesium but a lot of Calcium and has iodine. This is perfect for my situation of trying to bring my ratios back in line since I have high potassium and low sodium with higher ca/mg ratio.

I just can't find that type of combination anywhere else that I'm aware of.

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-03-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
You just proved my point. If you have been paying attention. They say that a substance must be regulated as a drug if it claims to cure a disease which is the case with Vitamin C. However because of the Supplement Act of 94 which didn't even come into play until the Supplement industry lobbied for it and won, Vitamin C would not be able to make such a claim. And even now it still can't make the blanket statment that it can cure scurvy unless it says how much scurvy is in the United States. This is a RESTRICTIVE and UNNECESSARY requirement. What does it matter to say such a thing? This is why if 1 person has scurvy, nobody can give that person Vitamin C because it would not be worth the supplement manufacturer to prove that only 1 person in the United States can be treated with Vitmain C to cure it. This is rediculous but this is exactly how the FDA puts burdensome requirements on supplement manufacturers.
Vitamins are defined as not being drugs, so your whole argument falls apart. The problem is too little regulation of supplements, not too much. Supplement makers can pretty much put anything they want to into a supplement, claim it "supports" one organ or another, and get away with it unless the FDA finds the product actually does contain a real drug (as many diet supplements have been found to do) or the product injures someone.

What is ridiculous is your statement that no one can give vitamin C to anyone with scurvy. Any doctor would treat scurvy with over the counter vitamin C

Quote:
So your saying that the vitamins are at alarming levels while susy_q2010 is saying that they are too low of levels. What ingredient is questionable?
Standard Process has this gimmick to sell more pills: put a small amount in each pill, then suggest taking multiple doses per day of multiple supplements. This results in higher cost than is necessary for the consumer. On the other hand, as I pointed out in my first post in this thread, taking multiple products that contain the same vitamins could result in too much of some of them, especially vitamin A.

Quote:
So if it is our money and we decide to spend it on Standard Process Supplements - what business is that of yours?
If you wanted to buy a television and someone could direct you to a place with a good deal, would you want to know about it? We have just as much right to point out Standard Process is way more expensive than necessary as you do to support (sell?) them.

Quote:

Because so far the only complaint I see that you have is that they are expensive and not proportioned the way you want them to be.

BTW for others reading this, please understand that many of the supplements are proportioned in a manner that is prescribed by Alternative Health Providers.

For example, I get the Mintran complex which only has a little of magnesium but a lot of Calcium and has iodine. This is perfect for my situation of trying to bring my ratios back in line since I have high potassium and low sodium with higher ca/mg ratio.

So comments like those from susy_q2010 and anonchick are because they are ignorant of why these are formulated in this manner.
Suzy has studied chemistry and biochemistry. Alternative medicine not only has alternative treatment, it appears it has alternative chemistry, too.

Since traditional medicine is able to treat people who are seriously ill without hair analysis, it seems traditional chemistry works quite well.

While you are trying to find products containing these mythical perfect ratios of minerals, in tiny amounts, whatever is in your diet is overwhelming whatever is in the supplements, assuming you eat real food and do not omit any major food groups.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Vitamins are defined as not being drugs, so your whole argument falls apart. The problem is too little regulation of supplements, not too much. Supplement makers can pretty much put anything they want to into a supplement, claim it "supports" one organ or another, and get away with it unless the FDA finds the product actually does contain a real drug (as many diet supplements have been found to do) or the product injures someone.

What is ridiculous is your statement that no one can give vitamin C to anyone with scurvy. Any doctor would treat scurvy with over the counter vitamin C

Standard Process has this gimmick to sell more pills: put a small amount in each pill, then suggest taking multiple doses per day of multiple supplements. This results in higher cost than is necessary for the consumer. On the other hand, as I pointed out in my first post in this thread, taking multiple products that contain the same vitamins could result in too much of some of them, especially vitamin A.

If you wanted to buy a television and someone could direct you to a place with a good deal, would you want to know about it? We have just as much right to point out Standard Process is way more expensive than necessary as you do to support (sell?) them.

Suzy has studied chemistry and biochemistry. Alternative medicine not only has alternative treatment, it appears it has alternative chemistry, too.

Since traditional medicine is able to treat people who are seriously ill without hair analysis, it seems traditional chemistry works quite well.

While you are trying to find products containing these mythical perfect ratios of minerals, in tiny amounts, whatever is in your diet is overwhelming whatever is in the supplements, assuming you eat real food and do not omit any major food groups.
Face it, everything you have said here and your only end of the line statement is that it is TOO expensive for susy_q2010 and that you want us to know that.

OK, we heard you.

Done yet?

Now for all of us that have some $$$ and obviously are not so gullible. Give me my Standard Process vitamins. ;-)

Old 01-13-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Face it, everything you have said here and your only end of the line statement is that it is TOO expensive for susy_q2010 and that you want us to know that.

OK, we heard you.

Done yet?

Now for all of us that have some $$$ and obviously are not so gullible. Give me my Standard Process vitamins. ;-)

I'm not the one who is convinced an expensive supplement is better than the same ingredients in a form costing much, much less.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one who is convinced an expensive supplement is better than the same ingredients in a form costing much, much less.
The rest of us that favor whole supplements are. So why should we change to your opinion?

Old 01-13-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The rest of us that favor whole supplements are. So why should we change to your opinion?
But we have discovered Standard Process products are not exactly "whole foods", haven't we?

Old 01-13-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
But we have discovered Standard Process products are not exactly "whole foods", haven't we?
Not exactly - but superior to synthetics since they do contain ACTUAL food.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Not exactly - but superior to synthetics since they do contain ACTUAL food.
In minuscule amounts, just so Standard Process can claim they contain "whole food." It appears Standard Process also uses those "synthetics" that your alternative chemistry training tells you are so bad.

http://www.standardprocess.com/Stand...ngredients.pdf

The fact remains that whether you ingest vitamins and minerals from a "whole food", a "whole food extract", a "whole food isolate", or a USP multivitamin from your local drugstore, it's all the same once you put it in your mouth.

If you want vitamins and minerals from whole food, you have to eat the whole food, not consume the tiny amounts Standard Process puts in its supplements. A good diet is the best way to get vitamins and minerals.

Oh, and the money issue?

A Family Outfit vs. the Internet - Businessweek

Standard Process does not want anyone except Standard Process to sell on the internet.

"Yet last month, the president of Standard Process, Charles DuBois, sent a letter to the thousands of chiropractors, acupuncturist's, physicians, and others that resell its 175 different vitamins warning of its new 'zero-tolerance Internet policy as part of our resale policy.' Moreover, 'advertising pricing information online will not be tolerated.' "

"The company declined my requests for an interview. However, neither the practitioners nor either of two Standard Process sales reps I spoke with independently was able to direct me to scientific research demonstrating special benefits of Standard Process products beyond what other supplements provide."

They cannot show their products are superior, and they do not want the price competition that internet sales would foster.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:

So comments like those from susy_q2010 and anonchick are because they are ignorant of why these are formulated in this manner.
1. I *am* an alt-med practitioner.
2. Organic chemistry is the primary field of study I was required to take in order to get my alt-med certification.

As an alt-med practitioner and someone who has studied organic chemistry as a primary field of study in my alt-med education, I'm telling you (and everyone else) that Standard Process supplements are a scam, and people who push it are shills. There is nothing in Standard Process that makes it superior to ANY USP-certified supplements, and furthermore, there are things in it that have absolutely zero nutritional value even though Standard Process insists on bragging about it as if it did - AND that the things that might actually be useful, cost MUCH more than USP-certified products of the same type.

A person doesn't have to take dessicated pig's brains to know that there's no nutritional value in taking dessicated pig's brains and absolutely no reason to include it in a nutritional supplement.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. I *am* an alt-med practitioner.
2. Organic chemistry is the primary field of study I was required to take in order to get my alt-med certification.

As an alt-med practitioner and someone who has studied organic chemistry as a primary field of study in my alt-med education, I'm telling you (and everyone else) that Standard Process supplements are a scam, and people who push it are shills. There is nothing in Standard Process that makes it superior to ANY USP-certified supplements, and furthermore, there are things in it that have absolutely zero nutritional value even though Standard Process insists on bragging about it as if it did - AND that the things that might actually be useful, cost MUCH more than USP-certified products of the same type.

A person doesn't have to take dessicated pig's brains to know that there's no nutritional value in taking dessicated pig's brains and absolutely no reason to include it in a nutritional supplement.
Listen, I'm too smart for this (I'm educated bull****). I can't even buy synthetics in the ratios that I need for the treatment I'm on. So you can sit on your soapbox and preach all day but Standard Process has filled a need that I can't get elsewhere. And when you say stuff like it has "absolutely zero" nutritional value you discredit yourself as nothing more than a mere troll. I eat pork and love bacon. So pig's brains are probably not so bad and especially if they are nutritious to boot. I mean really is that your debate that you wont eat Whole Food supplements because they contain animal products? REALLY!? Come on now. You a vegan or something? Maybe that is why your so against whole food supplements to begin with. This is making me hungry for a big juicy rack of ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements