U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,099,245 times

Advertisements

NRT, which is another name for Applied Kinesiology, created by a chiropractor for use in chiropractic medicine, is SUCH a scam - such a profound scam - that even the chiropractic authorative organization in Denmark has decreed that it is not valid chiropractic medicine, and their chiropractors are not allowed to use it - or even use the term in association with their medical practice.

Even the American Chiropractic Association can't come up with anything useful to say about it. The best they can come up with, is that muscle strength testing is useful. Well - that's a big d'oh right there - of course muscle strength testing is useful. But muscle strength testing is not the same thing as AK or NRT.

NRT and Standard Process is one big huge scam that exists to sucker people out of their money. It is utter nonsense, tripe, balderdash, and horsepucky.

Science-Based Medicine » AK: Nonsense on Full Automatic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
Default mrsG

Someone give me a break! I was looking for a review about Standard Process and found this.
I have been suffering (forever) from tiredness, irritability, and weight gain. I've tried Antidepressants that did not work. Period! I tred self "boot camp", but when you crave food, and are too exhausted to walk much... I've tried counseling. I'v been on synthroid for almost 20 years.
I think I was only functioning at all because I take a High powered multivitamin that can't be bought at a traditional grocery store, and has in some cases well over 100% of the governments RDA.
Then while having my ears checked, I found out that the Synthroid had shrunk my thyroid. None of my doctors had told me it would do this!!
Then I found out about the book Stop the Thyroid madness, and a few other holistic web sites.
All these things were because the Government Does not want us to be too healthy, and teaches our MD's that you can have too many vitamins, and fat etc. What was making me fat was the Corn Syrop in all the processed refined foods. I needed dessicated Thyroid (natural not synthetic), and I needed a different kind of test than what the Doc. uses.
All this to say that often we lack enough B vitamins, Vit C, Magnesium, and a host of other good stuff that is found in the organ meat of animals. Since it is virtually impossible to get our depleted soil to produce mineral dense vegtables, and GMO Food is poisonous, These supplements use other sources.
The good ones look for pasture raised, chemical free.
If I find an unbiased source for information pertaining to the Quality of Standard Process, I'll Let you know. In the meantime, don't let main stream MD's, and Media convince you that all these other Idea's are hocus-pocus.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM

10,438 posts, read 10,173,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslgamble View Post
Someone give me a break! I was looking for a review about Standard Process and found this.
I have been suffering (forever) from tiredness, irritability, and weight gain. I've tried Antidepressants that did not work. Period! I tred self "boot camp", but when you crave food, and are too exhausted to walk much... I've tried counseling. I'v been on synthroid for almost 20 years.
I think I was only functioning at all because I take a High powered multivitamin that can't be bought at a traditional grocery store, and has in some cases well over 100% of the governments RDA.
Then while having my ears checked, I found out that the Synthroid had shrunk my thyroid. None of my doctors had told me it would do this!!
Then I found out about the book Stop the Thyroid madness, and a few other holistic web sites.
All these things were because the Government Does not want us to be too healthy, and teaches our MD's that you can have too many vitamins, and fat etc. What was making me fat was the Corn Syrop in all the processed refined foods. I needed dessicated Thyroid (natural not synthetic), and I needed a different kind of test than what the Doc. uses.
All this to say that often we lack enough B vitamins, Vit C, Magnesium, and a host of other good stuff that is found in the organ meat of animals. Since it is virtually impossible to get our depleted soil to produce mineral dense vegtables, and GMO Food is poisonous, These supplements use other sources.
The good ones look for pasture raised, chemical free.
If I find an unbiased source for information pertaining to the Quality of Standard Process, I'll Let you know. In the meantime, don't let main stream MD's, and Media convince you that all these other Idea's are hocus-pocus.
Dried pig thyroid may be "natural", but it is not the same as human thyroid.

What made you fat was the total amount of processed refined foods.

Too many vitamins can have adverse effects.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM

198 posts, read 154,677 times
AnonChick-

Are you in the healthcare field? If so, what field?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccover1 View Post
AnonChick-

Are you in the healthcare field? If so, what field?
I'm a certified aromatherapist. Why, how does my field of study relate to the topic? You don't have to be a professional healthcare practitioner to know how to look stuff up on the internet.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM

198 posts, read 154,677 times
Just curious about your knowledge...Not sure why you would recommend Tums for someone who needs calcium supplementation? I'm sure that all of your internet research has explained that calcium carbonate, which I believe is the source of calcium in Tums, is not absorbed very well by our bodies. I believe that we can only absorb only between 3-5% of calcium carbonate, which means that whoever takes the Tums route will only get between 22.5-37.5mg of calcium, which is significantly below what some people require.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccover1 View Post
Just curious about your knowledge...Not sure why you would recommend Tums for someone who needs calcium supplementation? I'm sure that all of your internet research has explained that calcium carbonate, which I believe is the source of calcium in Tums, is not absorbed very well by our bodies. I believe that we can only absorb only between 3-5% of calcium carbonate, which means that whoever takes the Tums route will only get between 22.5-37.5mg of calcium, which is significantly below what some people require.
Do you have a source for your figures?

http://www2.mskcc.org/patient_educat...nglish/433.pdf

For some people, calcium citrate may be tolerated better, and it does not need to be taken with a meal (the carbonate is absorbed better in an acidic environment.) The advantage of Tums is that it is relatively inexpensive compared to some other calcium supplements.

Calcium is best obtained from food. You only need to take a supplement if your diet is inadequate. Tums is a reasonable option.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 AM

That's basically the reason I recommend TUMS.

A TUMS is better than no additional calcium, in people who might need a bit of a boost due to bad eating habits. If they have bad eating habits, they're not as likely to have good supplement habits. I mean - if they're good about getting their vitamins and minerals, you'd think they'd get it from something that comes natural to them - eating. TUMs is chewable, and flavored. They don't have to worry about swallowing a big calcium pill (those things are HUGE).

As for me personally, I'm a cheese nut. There isn't a single day without cheese for me. I also really LIKE dark green salads. So I'm getting plenty of calcium. However, I'm perimenopausal, and at risk for the unpleasantries of calcium deficiency. And so I boost my already-plentiful abundance of calcium, with a single TUMs. I -could- just chomp down on a piece of chalk, which is unflavored calcium carbonate. But I'm not a masochist. I can't swallow big pills because I have a very strong gag reflex. I don't drink anything other than unflavored water and 1 morning cup of coffee, so having a nice big heaping glass of Citrical is not going to work for me.

TUMS is one of many options for getting enough calcium. It's not the only one, but it's the easiest to swallow (literally, because you chew it), it's majorly inexpensive (I think I paid $6.50 for a double-bottle of 300 each of the 750 mg at BJ's), you don't have to take it any particular time, or doing any particular thing, and it doubles as an antacid if you ate too many Jalapeno Poppers for supper.

If you're finding it isn't doing what you need for it to do, you can always take two.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM

4,523 posts, read 2,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That's basically the reason I recommend TUMS.

A TUMS is better than no additional calcium, in people who might need a bit of a boost due to bad eating habits. If they have bad eating habits, they're not as likely to have good supplement habits. I mean - if they're good about getting their vitamins and minerals, you'd think they'd get it from something that comes natural to them - eating. TUMs is chewable, and flavored. They don't have to worry about swallowing a big calcium pill (those things are HUGE).

As for me personally, I'm a cheese nut. There isn't a single day without cheese for me. I also really LIKE dark green salads. So I'm getting plenty of calcium. However, I'm perimenopausal, and at risk for the unpleasantries of calcium deficiency. And so I boost my already-plentiful abundance of calcium, with a single TUMs. I -could- just chomp down on a piece of chalk, which is unflavored calcium carbonate. But I'm not a masochist. I can't swallow big pills because I have a very strong gag reflex. I don't drink anything other than unflavored water and 1 morning cup of coffee, so having a nice big heaping glass of Citrical is not going to work for me.

TUMS is one of many options for getting enough calcium. It's not the only one, but it's the easiest to swallow (literally, because you chew it), it's majorly inexpensive (I think I paid $6.50 for a double-bottle of 300 each of the 750 mg at BJ's), you don't have to take it any particular time, or doing any particular thing, and it doubles as an antacid if you ate too many Jalapeno Poppers for supper.

If you're finding it isn't doing what you need for it to do, you can always take two.
Yes, lets recommend TUMs instead of eating right because if you're too lazy to eat right, you'll be jonny on the spot to remember your TUMS.

Aren't internet doctors amazing inventions? Now we have people recommending TUMs. And while we're at it, if one isn't enough, take two.

A recommendation to eat TUMS from those who buy the stuff in bulk. You can't make this stuff up. I sure hope no one ever gets hurt listening the pseudo/quasi medical advice you give out.

You aren't a physician and not licensed to recommend anything like TUMs for anything at all. Moderators of these boards should start monitoring all the medical advice you hand out that is probably more dangerous than any problems they really have.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Yes, lets recommend TUMs instead of eating right because if you're too lazy to eat right, you'll be jonny on the spot to remember your TUMS.

Aren't internet doctors amazing inventions? Now we have people recommending TUMs. And while we're at it, if one isn't enough, take two.

A recommendation to eat TUMS from those who buy the stuff in bulk. You can't make this stuff up. I sure hope no one ever gets hurt listening the pseudo/quasi medical advice you give out.

You aren't a physician and not licensed to recommend anything like TUMs for anything at all. Moderators of these boards should start monitoring all the medical advice you hand out that is probably more dangerous than any problems they really have.

Would you accept the Mayo Clinic as a reputable source of information?

Calcium and calcium supplements: Achieving the right balance - MayoClinic.com

"Even if you eat a healthy, balanced diet, you may find it difficult to get enough calcium if you:
  • Follow a vegan diet
  • Have lactose intolerance and limit dairy products
  • Consume large amounts of protein or sodium, which can cause your body to excrete calcium
  • Have osteoporosis
  • Are receiving long-term treatment with corticosteroids
  • Have certain bowel or digestive diseases that decrease your ability to absorb calcium, such as inflammatory bowel disease or celiac disease"
"The two main forms of calcium supplements are carbonate and citrate. Calcium carbonate is cheapest and therefore often a good first choice. Other forms of calcium in supplements include gluconate and lactate."

They did not endorse a brand, for obvious reasons, but TUMS is calcium carbonate.

If you eat dairy products, three servings a day plus what you get from the rest of your diet will provide sufficient calcium for most people. That's what I do.

On a given day, if you may not have the ideal diet, it is easy to add one or two TUMS, depending on how short you think you may be.

Calcium is absorbed better in doses less than 500 mg. The citrate may be taken with or without food and is a better choice for people who may be deficient in stomach acid.

Ideally, anyone would consult his own physician to find out whether there are factors in his personal history that will modify his calcium requirement and the best form and dose for him personally.

But there is no reason to dismiss TUMS or any form of calcium carbonate out of hand as a calcium supplement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements