Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times

Advertisements

So, I'm on this strict gym routine. I burn at least 1200 cals a day at the gym, between various cardio equipment. I've also been trying to keep my food intake at around 1600 cals a day.

Naturally, I get hungry a lot and I take my food in phases. I was grocery shopping and I picked this shake up. It says rice and pea protein energizer from Nature's way. This could very well be a useful filler in between workouts.

Been using it for a couple of days and it feels good. Has anyone used this over a long period of time? It says a lot of nice things in the nutrition facts, with a ton of minerals and a good amount of protein, amino acids and stuff like spirulina. Can it be as good as it reads to be? (it actually seems to contain extracts from a ton of veggies and fruits)

Opinion of long term users is most appreciated. Or anyone knows of a better shake to meet my demands?

Natures Way - Alive! Whole Food Energizer Ultra-Shake, (Rice & Pea) Vanilla 2.2 lbs - LifesVigor.com (http://www.lifesvigor.com/alive-whole-food-energizer-ultra-shake-rice-pea-vanilla-2-2-lbs-natures-way.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:31 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,419 times
I use Nature Way's Spiro-tein protein powder as well (made from soy, has spirulina etc...). I do the vanilla. The one you are taking looks new to the product line or I could be serioulsly out of date. When ever I pick it up at the store I just grab the vanilla out of habit.

I did the whey and all the rest but ended up sticking to the soy based powder.

I make a smoothie with it (fresh fruit, soy-based yogurt). It has done very well IMO for me. When you put the right stuff in your body it won't crave. I have been know to use milk and regular yogurt as where I live current soy products are not in demand.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I try to take breaks from stuff like that but I always think you should listen to your body. If it feels good its probably good for you. Just be on the watch for signs of too much vitamin A or chromium reactions.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Hypervitaminosis+A
Chromium toxicity Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - WrongDiagnosis.com
Chromium Picolinate Side Effects
Chromium - Ask the Dietitian®

Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM

But....... here's the thing.

The last couple of days I've been feeling like an Arabian racehorse

I suddenly have tons of energy and it feels like I can break the workout equipment. This is one hell of a shake

Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I use Nature Way's Spiro-tein protein powder as well (made from soy, has spirulina etc...). I do the vanilla. The one you are taking looks new to the product line or I could be serioulsly out of date. When ever I pick it up at the store I just grab the vanilla out of habit.

I did the whey and all the rest but ended up sticking to the soy based powder.

I make a smoothie with it (fresh fruit, soy-based yogurt). It has done very well IMO for me. When you put the right stuff in your body it won't crave. I have been know to use milk and regular yogurt as where I live current soy products are not in demand.
I took the apple-cinnamon flavour by mistake. I wasn't paying attention. The flavour tastes like crap.

I should have picked up vanilla. Next time.

But I also have a separate workout energizer, which I take 15 minutes before the workout. I blend one scoop of egg white protein with half a banana and water.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Question:

Does this happen to anyone else consuming the Alive!?

I don't drink it every day. I shake it up once in 3 days and guzzle it.

Each time, shortly thereafter, I'm pissing so yellow that I can collect it, dump sugar on top and serve it to my enemies calling it margaritas

Is this normal?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
I would think so, look at the amount of B vitamins in that stuff.
It actually looks pretty good but I would not be taking vitamins in addition to it.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:29 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,794 times
I took the Alive multi vitamines for a few years and am going to go back on them. I love the low iron versions because, well, I just don't need the extra iron. I can attest to the energy and the overall happy mood I felt when taking them. I can also attest to the yellow pee. This means the overabundance of nutrients are not being absorbed in your body. Not that your body is rejecting the nutrients, there is just too much for any normal human to absorb.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
I think spirulina is a big reason why you feel so energized. Many athletes supplement with it. Sixty percent of spirulina is a vegetarian protein.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times
This is my whole food, live food, protein drink / meal replacement.
I've been drinking it on and off for years.
It's an acquired taste for most i suppose but it is, imo, the best.
Ultimate Meal
Their web-site is a bit screwy at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements