Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

Advertisements

Have you had any good results from Herbal Medicines or Food Supplements?

By this, I mean improvements In your health, that you can only attribute to the use of Food Supplements or Herbal Medicines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Supplements can help but it is necessary to speak with your doctor or pharmacist for drug interactions since some supplements can be very harmful when taken in conjunction with prescription medications.

Loading up on even a small number of herbal/supplements can be lethal if done without proper guidance. So beware........

Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

By this, I mean improvements In your health, that you can only attribute to the use of Food Supplements or Herbal Medicines.
Absolutely.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Supplements can help but it is necessary to speak with your doctor or pharmacist for drug interactions since some supplements can be very harmful when taken in conjunction with prescription medications.

Loading up on even a small number of herbal/supplements can be lethal if done without proper guidance. So beware........
It's important to make sure that there is no interactions with prescription medication but one doesn't need to refer to an m.d..
There are references (on the web and off) that you can easily check.
O.P. ... this book, which is now in it's 4th edition is an excellent and reliable resource.
Amazon.com: Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 4th Edition (9781583332368): CNC, Phyllis A. Balch: Books

Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
Yes, I agree with the other posters. I was told to take all kinds of helful supplement (buffered vitamin C, detox something, fish oil, bone minerals, etc). I tried thinking it would be helpful, but I had sever reactions to them. No one ever heard of my reaction to fish oil (I got very dizzy, vertigo) Quit taking them and will never take another. The problem is they affect each person differently. I'm one that can't take supplements at all. Be careful.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:

Yes. Not going to get into a discussion about it and have it turn into a peeing match with the naysayers.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
I have used Herbal Medicines to avoid surgery. I also use Food Supplements, and have been able to stop using prescription medication due to this.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:

absolutely positive results from several different herbals.

For example, saw palmetto for BPE. I started having mild symptoms of this in my 50's, and started taking saw palmetto capsules then. Over a space of 6 months, the symptoms were gone without any side effects and at very low cost. I've found in years since that if I don't stay on a maintenance of this, then my BPE symptoms will return ... start taking the capsules again, the symptoms go away. Absolute correlation between symptoms and relief with the capsules.

Another example ... years of manual labor (as an auto tech) with repetitive motions has left me with some signs of carpal tunnel as well as very stiff joints in my fingers. By taking Arnica 200C, about 4-5-6 pillules under the tongue, I can get immediate relief from the stiffness. Sometimes, the effect will last for days, and I'm feeling so good that I don't take any more of the pillules. But I'll get reminded ... sooner or later ... that I have an issue with the stiffness and I start the Arnica again, with the complete relief of my symptoms. Far more effective than over the counter analgesics or prescription strength analgesics ... without the side effects or stomach upset or corrosive effects in the stomach or liver problems from those.

I've found herbal remedies for sinus congestion, sore throat, and a host of other common symptoms. All very effectively relieved with herbal formulations at low cost and highly efficacious. Most interestingly, too ... again without side effects such as "rebound" from trying to get relief with a nasal spray such as Afrin. No Benadryl type drowsiness, either. This stuff really works for me and I don't use any of the conventional stuff from the store anymore.

My doc's claim I present as someone 15-20 years younger than I am. I attribute that to a daily regimen of herb capsules that supply a small dose of trace minerals that are otherwise missing from conventional vitamins and multi-vitamins. I'd started to develop a cataract in one eye, detected in an eye exam two years ago ... started taking lutein and a herb formula for "eye health", and within 18 months, the cataract is now not detectable.

I can't say that everybody will have the same benefits as I derive from these products ... no more than I can say everybody will have the same results with conventional medicine every time without any side effects. But I sure have enjoyed the benefits from these herbal sources and will continue using them before using prescripton meds if at all possible. Some may say that their experience with herbs wasn't very good ... so be it, they can use the regular meds.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:

No. I improved my health from eating clean food, exercise, and practicing various regenerative/restoration techniques to help flush out toxins. As far as supplements, I take them to alter specific body functions for a period if time, but that's about it.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Yes, I agree with the other posters. I was told to take all kinds of helful supplement (buffered vitamin C, detox something, fish oil, bone minerals, etc). I tried thinking it would be helpful, but I had sever reactions to them. No one ever heard of my reaction to fish oil (I got very dizzy, vertigo) Quit taking them and will never take another. The problem is they affect each person differently. I'm one that can't take supplements at all. Be careful.
Keep in mind that some people come from such a unhealthy state that they feel sick on their way to getting better as their body flushes out various toxins. It's called the herx reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements