Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

There might some apartments in Lyncourt or the East Syracuse area that might accept pets too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
In your situation I'd opt for the Manlius option over Hawley-Green. If I were a single female I wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy about walking alone in Hawley-Green late at night, and apart from a few convenience stores there is no shopping. The upside is that it's an artsy and gay friendly neighborhood with a few good dining options in walkable distance. The downside is the lack of walkable shopping resources and the fact that it got partially gentrified but still has a solid mix of low income problematic neighbors sid by side with the artist and young professionals. It wouldn't keep me from living there but it's a factor to be aware of.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Thanks everyone!

I think Manlius is a little further than I'd like to be. The furthest I'd probably go is the northside of the city or east.

I checked out a townhouse at Lawrence Terrace earlier. It was decent and it's no more than 5min from my office. But I didn't "love" it. I have a feeling I'm really going to like the Greenway Place townhouse in Hawley Green. The more I've read online and pictures I've seen, it really seems like what I'm looking for.

And I'm not the type of person to be out walking around late at night anyway. I've walked to downtown from my friend's place on McBride, but always in daylight hours. If I ever was to go out downtown, I'd be with a group of people or walk down in daylight and take a cab back at night. I did see that there weren't any full-service grocery stores right in the area, but that may be something I can live with. I go to see those townhouses on Tuesday, so I'll keep everyone posted

Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Thanks everyone!

I think Manlius is a little further than I'd like to be. The furthest I'd probably go is the northside of the city or east.

I checked out a townhouse at Lawrence Terrace earlier. It was decent and it's no more than 5min from my office. But I didn't "love" it. I have a feeling I'm really going to like the Greenway Place townhouse in Hawley Green. The more I've read online and pictures I've seen, it really seems like what I'm looking for.

And I'm not the type of person to be out walking around late at night anyway. I've walked to downtown from my friend's place on McBride, but always in daylight hours. If I ever was to go out downtown, I'd be with a group of people or walk down in daylight and take a cab back at night. I did see that there weren't any full-service grocery stores right in the area, but that may be something I can live with. I go to see those townhouses on Tuesday, so I'll keep everyone posted
Actually, Dominick's Market is in the Hawley-Green area and could be a smaller store that might offer enough in the way of groceries. There is a Wegman's on Pond Street that you can get to by taking James to Oak to Grant Boulevard to Pond St. There's also the Price Chopper on Erie Boulevard East.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Dominick's Market is in the Hawley-Green area and could be a smaller store that might offer enough in the way of groceries. There is a Wegman's on Pond Street that you can get to by taking James to Oak to Grant Boulevard to Pond St. There's also the Price Chopper on Erie Boulevard East.
Well that'll work out great! I don't mind having to drive to get groceries, but I like at least having a place that I can pop into real quick if I need only a few things. Living on Morgan Road, I have to go over to 57 to Rite Aid or Wegman's if I have to get anything. There's a gas station up the street, but they have nothing I would ever need besides soda.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Well that'll work out great! I don't mind having to drive to get groceries, but I like at least having a place that I can pop into real quick if I need only a few things. Living on Morgan Road, I have to go over to 57 to Rite Aid or Wegman's if I have to get anything. There's a gas station up the street, but they have nothing I would ever need besides soda.
Can't forget P&C in Shop City Plaza on the way home from work too.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Well I went to check out the townhouses in Hawley Green and the manager wasn't there! I waited for a half hour, talked to some people that lived there and they tried to get the maintenance guy to call her, but to no avail. Of course, she calls me as soon as I got home - said there was some maintenance issues in the back courtyard (which I didn't have access to). So anyway, going back again tomorrow to check them out. They look gorgeous on the outside - almost like an old English style. The people that I saw around the area looked a little "seedy" so that could deter me. But we shall see!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Well I checked out the townhouses in Hawley Green today. The townhouses themselves are really nice! It's about $25 cheaper than what I pay now, but the pet deposit is higher. I'm not too convinced based on the people I saw there yesterday... and also I had the girl take me up to the roof (it's like a sun roof) and as we were going up the stairs, there were all these empty condom wrappers in the stair well. Definitely not to keen on that. I may just continue to hold out for a place in the Village. Thoughts?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:31 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
What you see during a brief visit to a neighborhood is, to some extent, what you'll get. I'd hold out for something that's aligned with your original parameters. I saw an ad somewhere a few days ago for a multi-story older brick building in the village of Liverpool. Supposed to have newly renovated units that are just now available (or will be soon). On a side note: Freedom of Espresso is opening a new cafe location somewhere near there in the village and should be opening in July.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
What you see during a brief visit to a neighborhood is, to some extent, what you'll get. I'd hold out for something that's aligned with your original parameters. I saw an ad somewhere a few days ago for a multi-story older brick building in the village of Liverpool. Supposed to have newly renovated units that are just now available (or will be soon). On a side note: Freedom of Espresso is opening a new cafe location somewhere near there in the village and should be opening in July.
Thanks!! I also asked some people at work about the area and the general consensus was HELL NO!

I know which building you're talking about and unfortunately, the cheapest ones are over $900 and I'm looking for rent below what I pay now ($840). I know they're putting a cafe on the first floor of the building, so it may be the one you're talking about

My aunt lives in the Village on the same street as the police office - I may ask her if there's some sort of community board in there that I can post an ad looking for a place in the Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area