U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,634,021 times

Advertisements

Hi all!!

My lease at my current apt complex (Westminster in Liverpool) is up at the end of September. While there are alot of things I like about the apt, I am sick and tired of having to deal with less than stellar neighbors. I'm a young professional female, but they keep putting younger kids around me that like to be loud, obnoxious, and throw parties all the time. I hate having to complain all the time and really, I'm just fed up with it. I also would like to be within walking distance to shops, etc because I hate having to drive everywhere.

I have 2 small dogs, so that makes it harder to find a place. Right now, my total rent (with pet rent) is $840 for a 2BR. I'd like total rent to be $750 or below. I would like to get a 2BR or a large 1BR (perhaps with a small "bonus room").

Here's my options so far-

Village of Liverpool
I LOVE the Village and I have family that lives there too. Problem is, apartments are few and far between. I have been in contact with the lady who manages the Village Mall Apartments - on top of shops on Vine St. Anyone have any insights on these apartments? I've just been keeping my eyes peeled on Craigslist otherwise and just seeing what pops up. Majority of places I've found though are too expensive and/or don't allow dogs.

Hawley Green
Probably my second-pick for areas. I have a friend that lives down the street, so I've walked the areas a few times. Right now, looking at Greenway Place townhouses. I left them a voicemail because I want to go take a look. Anyone have any insights on Greenway Place or the Hawley Green area in general?

I'm going to go look at a townhouse tomorrow on Lawrence St, off of Taft, right near the N Syracuse USPS. My office is right at the airport, so it's literally a 3min drive to/from work. While the area isn't as "walkable" to shops and such, it's very appealing for me to be that close to work.

If anyone has insights on all this, it would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know other good areas that are "walkable" and still a decent commute to the airport. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,953 times
Covered Bridge Apts on Vine. LOVED living there and the heat/hot water is included and you get a storage space.It was quiet, they have a pool and the maintenance staff was always on top of everything. I made a habit of walking the 3 blocks to the village center every Sunday morning, buying coffee and the paper on the way and sitting on the Onondaga Lake pier while I had a few smokes. lol

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Covered Bridge Apartments

Rents are $625 for a 1 bedroom and $725 for a 2bd with a back porch, overlooking the trees and brook.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Covered Bridge Apts on Vine. LOVED living there and the heat/hot water is included and you get a storage space.It was quiet, they have a pool and the maintenance staff was always on top of everything. I made a habit of walking the 3 blocks to the village center every Sunday morning, buying coffee and the paper on the way and sitting on the Onondaga Lake pier while I had a few smokes. lol

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Covered Bridge Apartments

Rents are $625 for a 1 bedroom and $725 for a 2bd with a back porch, overlooking the trees and brook.
Thanks! I've driven past them before and they look nice. But the website says they don't accept pets

Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Have you looked anywhere in North Syracuse? I know they have a ton of apartments (it just won't be scenic, like the village of Liverpool) but I don't know which ones accept pets.

When you have a tour with a rental agent, be sure to ask if there's an apt. in a quieter section available. They may see your youth and pre-judge your interests... maybe wanting to put you with more "social" people, so you can make friends more easily.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Have you looked anywhere in North Syracuse? I know they have a ton of apartments (it just won't be scenic, like the village of Liverpool) but I don't know which ones accept pets.

When you have a tour with a rental agent, be sure to ask if there's an apt. in a quieter section available. They may see your youth and pre-judge your interests... maybe wanting to put you with more "social" people, so you can make friends more easily.
I'm taking a look at a town house in N Syracuse tomorrow. I actually was just able to find the listing on the Longley Jones Management site - Lawrence Terrace Apartments. Other than this place, I haven't seen too many others in N Syracuse that I like. I sort of want to stay away from a big apt complex just because it'll be more expensive and have more opportunities for the problems I have now. Ideally, I'd really like a townhome of some sort.

I did just email Covered Bridge just in case they have changed their pet policy.

Thanks!!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 AM

107 posts, read 192,386 times
I'd say Westcott Area, Eastwood, and Tipp Hill would all be good bets for finding an apt that size/price that allows dogs, and has shops within walking distance.

One thing that's very nice about Eastwood is it has sort of "backdoor" access to the airport, i used to commute from there to the airport.

Go up Midler to 298 to Townline road and your there. Plus there is hardly any traffic that way.

Parking on Tipp Hill can be enraging at times if you don't have an offstreet spot.

Here's some great info that was posted recently on hawley green: http://www.city-data.com/forum/14149072-post8.html

Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr83 View Post
I'd say Westcott Area, Eastwood, and Tipp Hill would all be good bets for finding an apt that size/price that allows dogs, and has shops within walking distance.

One thing that's very nice about Eastwood is it has sort of "backdoor" access to the airport, i used to commute from there to the airport.

Go up Midler to 298 to Townline road and your there. Plus there is hardly any traffic that way.

Parking on Tipp Hill can be enraging at times if you don't have an offstreet spot.

Here's some great info that was posted recently on hawley green: http://www.city-data.com/forum/14149072-post8.html
Thanks!

I've been to a friend's house in Tipp Hill before and I hated how congested the streets and the whole area were. That was a little too much for me I've seen some ads on Craigslist for the Eastwood area, but I think they've all said no pets, so I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

I'm going to check out the townhouses in Hawley Green on Tuesday!!

I hate moving with a passion, but I'm not 100% sold on staying in my current apartment. And with all the problems I've had there, it's just not worth the $840 that I'm paying. Sort of ridiculous if you ask me!

Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM

56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr83 View Post

Great points and I have seen some For Rent signs on some homes/duplexes there.

Maybe even the Northside north of Grant Boulevard might work for similar reasons as Eastwood and it is a generally stable area too.

This might help too: MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

As for Liverpool what about an apartment complex like Harborside Manor, which is just outside of village limits?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Great points and I have seen some For Rent signs on some homes/duplexes there.

Maybe even the Northside north of Grant Boulevard might work for similar reasons as Eastwood and it is a generally stable area too.

This might help too: MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

As for Liverpool what about an apartment complex like Harborside Manor, which is just outside of village limits?
Thanks!

Harborside is about the same as what I pay now and I want to go cheaper. I did email Pearl St Apartments, which is in the same area, to see if they allow pets but I haven't heard back yet

Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 AM

I know that Townhouse East in Manlius accepts pets... but you probably wanted to stay close to work, right? Rents start around $650, for a 2bd/1.5ba townhouse, and I'd say it's a 15-minute commute from the airport.. 20 during rush-hour or if you go the back way... but the back way (through Carrier Circle to Townline Road) seems faster. Still, we like it, here in the village. Sports' fields, parks/trails, ponds, grocery store, banks, post office, restaurants and bars, library/community center, ice cream stand, farmers' market, *liquor storeS* (lol) are all within a few minutes' walking distance. And it's safe, clean and inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area