U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 AM

56,274 posts, read 80,465,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
I can afford the 1OK extra in taxes in SYR to get what I have in MN,its just that getting ripped off would keep me P....D off and thats bad for ones physical and mental health.
I don't know if it would be that much more in the Syracuse area versus MN, but you have to count all of the costs when looking at different areas.

Where in Minneapolis are you coming from, btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 11:44 AM

507 posts, read 768,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if it would be that much more in the Syracuse area versus MN, but you have to count all of the costs when looking at different areas.

Where in Minneapolis are you coming from, btw?

The home I'm closing on is in Chaska.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The home I'm closing on is in Chaska.
It sounds like a similar community in our area would be Baldwinsville, Chittenango or maybe something like the Central Square area or Phoenix. Those areas have a wide range of prices and taxes would vary too. Here's an example of tax rates on average in Onondaga County for say a 200k home: Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ - broken link)

You might have to search for yourself, but it gives a good indication of what the rates are.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,800,889 times
Quote:
What also is happening is that other states are starting to feel the higher tax aspect too. So, it is a matter of time before taxes will be a national issue to be honest. That's why you have to weight out all of the pros and cons.
upstate NY still takes the cake when it comes to property taxes as a % value of the property though.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
upstate NY still takes the cake when it comes to property taxes as a % value of the property though.
Again, when you look at the overall picture, the major Upstate NY areas still are more affordable than many, if not most metro areas.

Even when looking at housing prices, those areas still come out more affordable including taxes.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
It sounds like a similar community in our area would be Baldwinsville, Chittenango or maybe something like the Central Square area or Phoenix. Those areas have a wide range of prices and taxes would vary too. Here's an example of tax rates on average in Onondaga County for say a 200k home: Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ - broken link)

You might have to search for yourself, but it gives a good indication of what the rates are.

You sure? I'm getting a bit over 400K on a quick sale, most in "hood are going around 500.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
You sure? I'm getting a bit over 400K on a quick sale, most in "hood are going around 500.
I'm just going by the proximity of Chaska to Minneapolis and trying to figure out similar communities in terms of distance to Syracuse and that have a similar character.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I'm just going by the proximity of Chaska to Minneapolis and trying to figure out similar communities in terms of distance to Syracuse and that have a similar character.

I see, I used to live in SYR,back in the 60's-Chaska is about like Cazenovia or Fayetteville maybe.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I see, I used to live in SYR,back in the 60's-Chaska is about like Cazenovia or Fayetteville maybe.
So it in known for being more affluent from what I see. Skaneateles would fit too.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,800,889 times
Quote:
Again, when you look at the overall picture, the major Upstate NY areas still are more affordable than many, if not most metro areas.

Even when looking at housing prices, those areas still come out more affordable including taxes.
You have to look at it on a city-to-city basis. Upstate NY, as part of New York state is home to some of the highest property, sales, and income taxes in the country. That takes a big bit out of your income at the end of the day.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Just run the comparison between Tampa and Syracuse. You may make $1 k less a year on average according to that calculator, but you end up with a much lower cost of living surprisingly, despite the fact that Tampa is a much bigger city than Syracuse. If you make $100 K in syracuse, you only need to make $83 K in Tampa to have a similar lifestyle.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area