U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
 
56,338 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You have to look at it on a city-to-city basis. Upstate NY, as part of New York state is home to some of the highest property, sales, and income taxes in the country. That takes a big bit out of your income at the end of the day.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Just run the comparison between Tampa and Syracuse. You may make $1 k less a year on average according to that calculator, but you end up with a much lower cost of living surprisingly, despite the fact that Tampa is a much bigger city than Syracuse. If you make $100 K in syracuse, you only need to make $83 K in Tampa to have a similar lifestyle.
While that might be true, think about schools, crime and some other factors as well. Here are some more examples between the two cities/areas: Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Obtain a city profile report, city comparisons and cost of living information

So, even it depends on which cost of living calculator you use to some degree. Where you live in these areas also has to be considered.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
 
357 posts, read 835,431 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While that might be true, think about schools, crime and some other factors as well. Here are some more examples between the two cities/areas: Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Obtain a city profile report, city comparisons and cost of living information

So, even it depends on which cost of living calculator you use to some degree. Where you live in these areas also has to be considered.
I agree, also something to consider is police and fire departments. Both of these get paid through tax revenues. Other things are sidewalks, parks and other quality of life benefits. This area of TN that I live in does have lower property taxes (much higher sales tax) than Syracuse but I would say that the overall quality of life is lower when considering the things I mentioned above. When I lived in Syracuse I complained about the taxes but now while living here I complain about the low availabity of Parks and Rec., police/fire departments and services for the poor. It's a hard thing to weigh, taxes versus services. I'm not sure what the right answer would be.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM
 
56,338 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I agree, also something to consider is police and fire departments. Both of these get paid through tax revenues. Other things are sidewalks, parks and other quality of life benefits. This area of TN that I live in does have lower property taxes (much higher sales tax) than Syracuse but I would say that the overall quality of life is lower when considering the things I mentioned above. When I lived in Syracuse I complained about the taxes but now while living here I complain about the low availabity of Parks and Rec., police/fire departments and services for the poor. It's a hard thing to weigh, taxes versus services. I'm not sure what the right answer would be.
I agree, as it really is about one's perspective.

Also, I think another thing that might effect the cost of living in Tampa is that Florida has been hit hard by foreclosures and housing costs have probably lower since then. That in turn could be causing the lower cost of living considering that housing is generally the highest cost for a person or family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,814,879 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, I think another thing that might effect the cost of living in Tampa is that Florida has been hit hard by foreclosures and housing costs have probably lower since then. That in turn could be causing the lower cost of living considering that housing is generally the highest cost for a person or family.
I don't think those calculators are that up to date, so in reality, it may even be cheaper than what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,814,879 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I agree, also something to consider is police and fire departments. Both of these get paid through tax revenues. Other things are sidewalks, parks and other quality of life benefits. This area of TN that I live in does have lower property taxes (much higher sales tax) than Syracuse but I would say that the overall quality of life is lower when considering the things I mentioned above. When I lived in Syracuse I complained about the taxes but now while living here I complain about the low availabity of Parks and Rec., police/fire departments and services for the poor. It's a hard thing to weigh, taxes versus services. I'm not sure what the right answer would be.
I never found any of the above services lacking in the areas of Florida that I lived in. If anything, the roads were a little better because you didn't have to salt/shovel them in the winter.

As for services for the poor, it's nice to be charitable, but NY goes overboard IMO, particularly with things like medicaid.

Medicaid: wreaking havoc in health care
New York's Medicaid spending outpaces other states', new analysis shows - October 12, 2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM
 
56,338 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I don't think those calculators are that up to date, so in reality, it may even be cheaper than what they say.
They can't be that old and if I'm not mistaken, Florida had a net loss recently for the first time in a very long time. So, something is going on there.

Also, while NY can be too generous, I wonder if Florida's ranking in the top 5 for crime rate has something to do with being less generous? From what I here, there are so many gated communities that it's not even funny. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
 
56,338 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439
Back to the OP, it would be interesting to see how things stack up between Chaska and say Fayetteville, Cazenovia, Manlius or Skaneateles considering that all are affluent, distant suburbs/communities in their respective metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
 
357 posts, read 835,431 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I never found any of the above services lacking in the areas of Florida that I lived in. If anything, the roads were a little better because you didn't have to salt/shovel them in the winter.

As for services for the poor, it's nice to be charitable, but NY goes overboard IMO, particularly with things like medicaid.

Medicaid: wreaking havoc in health care
New York's Medicaid spending outpaces other states', new analysis shows - October 12, 2006

So your saying that florida has much lower taxes but the services are better than NY. HMMM, that's interesting. I'm just wondering where all this money you imply that Florida has, is coming from? The only thing I can come up with is government credit cards or illegal activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,814,879 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
So your saying that florida has much lower taxes but the services are better than NY. HMMM, that's interesting. I'm just wondering where all this money you imply that Florida has, is coming from? The only thing I can come up with is government credit cards or illegal activities.
I think you get more bang for your buck down in FL compared to NY. Sorry, but NY schools don't really prove anything to me, despite what people say. If you go do AP or IB down in FL, you can still leave high school ready for college. Heck, everyone I talk to in syracuse says the city schools suck. They either go private or send them to F-M or J-D.

I never said the services were better, if you read my original post. I just said they weren't "lacking". In FL, there are plenty of parks, and actually the greatest number of natural springs in the country. NY is so dysfunctional now, they were literally on the verge of closing half the parks in upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Northeast Raleigh, NC
838 posts, read 1,427,983 times
Reputation: 660
Keep in mind that we also have lower population density, demographics that skew towards younger low-income people and retired folks, and (at least in the city) a large amount of land and number of employers that are tax exempt. The largest employers in this county are universities/colleges, hospitals, and the county government. We see no business taxes or property taxes from any of those, yet they require certain services etc., that all cost money.

We're blessed that these employers are here and are stable - I'm not knocking it - but the lack of additional industries/businesses means more burden for the residential taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top