U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 11,076 times

Advertisements

Thank you! It's going to be a challenging decision. Quite frankly...our children who will soon be school age are the determining factors. As any parent, we want them to have the best of everything - school, diversity, opportunity, healthy...and happy parents who don't work 4 jobs just to pay mortgage...I suppose looking for a liberal utopia...with lots of extras. I appreciate you all taking time to help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 AM

186 posts, read 539,301 times
Where are you moving from? I understand your pain when it comes to your statement, "swimming in a sea of hate out here". I'm in Arizona right now and let me tell you what, the whole state of NY is looking way better than anything I see over here. I don't consider myself a liberal by any means but I'm certainly not a supporter of these hard core conservatives out here. It's become very hard to deal with and many of my friends have turn in that direction in the worse way. This has been pushing my desire to move to Syracuse even more.

I'm not from Central NY but when I visited the area last March I came up with an opinion that may help you. Even though Syracuse has some very run down areas it still is very beautiful and I'm not worried at all about finding a happy home for my family or good schools for my kids. The only reason I would move to ether one of the other towns would be if I find solid work opportunity there. I was really drawn to Auburn and Ithaca when I went to visit but I have no illusions and I was very worried about finding work in those areas. Also something to keep in mind about Ithaca. Cornell is an elite and very large university. It's a major part of the community. Finding places to rent in town will result in many for students only type rentals. Syracuse has this problem too in areas around SU but not nearly as bad because the ghetto is just across the freeway and it seems to limit the student only type housing to a smaller area.

So anyway keep in mind this was my opinion as an outsider that came to hunt out a new place to live. First impressions are not always right but these where some of the things that crossed my mind and are pushing me more toward the Syracuse area.

I to plan on renting first and that is even more of a reason for me to head toward Syracuse. I figure that's a better place for a new comer trying to figure out where to buy a home. I can easly make the drive down to Ithaca to house hunt if I choose to buy a home there. Plus I want to see first hand how those smaller towns handle their winters before I jump in head first.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 PM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magicians Eye View Post
Where are you moving from? I understand your pain when it comes to your statement, "swimming in a sea of hate out here". I'm in Arizona right now and let me tell you what, the whole state of NY is looking way better than anything I see over here. I don't consider myself a liberal by any means but I'm certainly not a supporter of these hard core conservatives out here. It's become very hard to deal with and many of my friends have turn in that direction in the worse way. This has been pushing my desire to move to Syracuse even more.

I'm not from Central NY but when I visited the area last March I came up with an opinion that may help you. Even though Syracuse has some very run down areas it still is very beautiful and I'm not worried at all about finding a happy home for my family or good schools for my kids. The only reason I would move to ether one of the other towns would be if I find solid work opportunity there. I was really drawn to Auburn and Ithaca when I went to visit but I have no illusions and I was very worried about finding work in those areas. Also something to keep in mind about Ithaca. Cornell is an elite and very large university. It's a major part of the community. Finding places to rent in town will result in many for students only type rentals. Syracuse has this problem too in areas around SU but not nearly as bad because the ghetto is just across the freeway and it seems to limit the student only type housing to a smaller area.

So anyway keep in mind this was my opinion as an outsider that came to hunt out a new place to live. First impressions are not always right but these where some of the things that crossed my mind and are pushing me more toward the Syracuse area.

I to plan on renting first and that is even more of a reason for me to head toward Syracuse. I figure that's a better place for a new comer trying to figure out where to buy a home. I can easly make the drive down to Ithaca to house hunt if I choose to buy a home there. Plus I want to see first hand how those smaller towns handle their winters before I jump in head first.
This website would help in seeing what job opportunities are in the region: Central New York Jobs

Also, keep in mind with the city of Syracuse that you can still find some nice neighborhoods that are affordable and the same with some of the suburbs as well. Not that you can't find that in Ithaca, but you will find that many people look in places just outside of that city like Dryden, Trumansburg, Groton or Newfield due to being a bit more affordable. Lansing is a community that is more suburban in character in comparison to other towns outside of Ithaca, but also has some rural areas as well. You can still find some relatively affordable homes in the city of Ithaca and keep in mind that the Ithaca City SD covers areas outside of the city limits and even into some rural areas. So, if you want that school district, you don't necessarily have to live in the city of Ithaca.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 11,076 times
we are in surprise. i cannot imagine raising my children among those whom I also considered friends who are racist and unwilling to see past their nose. i could cry thinking we moved here...for what, weather, job? all worth it...but the integrity factor...oi. we moved from madison wi...so HUGE transition...

Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 AM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoieandelismama View Post
we are in surprise. i cannot imagine raising my children among those whom I also considered friends who are racist and unwilling to see past their nose. i could cry thinking we moved here...for what, weather, job? all worth it...but the integrity factor...oi. we moved from madison wi...so HUGE transition...
What happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area