Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,229 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am contemplating a move to the Syracuse area but had a few concerns that I hoped people could help me with. I have lived in the area before when I was younger, but now that I graduated from college, I have freedom to choose where I want to live and think Syracuse is a great place for me. The Adirondacks, great scenery, awesome food, and four seasons all appeal to me (I've been living in the south).

However, I've been looking for a position up there for nearly a year. I recently found one, but its more of a one year deal than a career position. From everything I heard, it seems like the educated are leaving for other areas. I thought perhaps this would mean MORE opportunity for someone coming into the area, but after this long search I'm not so sure.

The de-industrialization of America and Syracuse obviously decreased population numbers, so I'm not concerned that there has been a drop in the city. I was curious, however, to know if there were any prospects for changing CNY's economy to align with the 21st century. I would hate to move up there and then have to leave after a year because there are no opportunities. I've obviously been looking at one of the worst time in histories, but I still have to give pause before making a long term commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
What is your desired area of employment?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 AM

I have a psychology B.S. degree. I have experience with research, statistics, teaching etc. My psychology focus, however, was cognitive and social psychology.

Part of cognitive psych investigates HR, advertising, marketing and business from a scientific perspective. My research focus included human factors, human-computer interaction and human-animal interaction. I also did research with language, decision making, memory and perception (all viable for business).

I also worked in the psychology department and was on the executive board where we doubled membership to become one of the largest clubs on campus (and we have 56,000 students at my university) so I have experience in office/leadership positions. I'm really looking for anything will allow me to deal with any of the aforementioned subjects, or something related.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
And you've already searched through Colgate, Cornell, Syracuse University, SUNY Oswego and Cortland, LeMoyne and Upstate with no "luck?" In addition to the schools, there are so many corporations here...

Have you notified companies where you'd LIKE to work, despite there not being an employment listing? If you can sell yourself well and *create* a value, in being employed to them, it's not impossible that you'd be added to their staff. In a national market such as this, I cannot see a drawback in marketing yourself and creating need that x-company didn't even know they had... but maybe that's the salesperson in me.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermar View Post
I have a psychology B.S. degree. I have experience with research, statistics, teaching etc. My psychology focus, however, was cognitive and social psychology.

Part of cognitive psych investigates HR, advertising, marketing and business from a scientific perspective. My research focus included human factors, human-computer interaction and human-animal interaction. I also did research with language, decision making, memory and perception (all viable for business).

I also worked in the psychology department and was on the executive board where we doubled membership to become one of the largest clubs on campus (and we have 56,000 students at my university) so I have experience in office/leadership positions. I'm really looking for anything will allow me to deal with any of the aforementioned subjects, or something related.
This company, an education consulting firm may be of interest. According to their website, they are looking for a research analyst. Good luck.

Hezel Associates - Research, Evaluation, Strategic Services

Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have had a little luck finding positions, but competition is very stiff; especially for new graduates. It's also hard to know what businesses, etc are in the area while living 1,000 miles away. I've been using local and national employment searches and attempted to look at the region's largest employers but my lack of knowledge of the area businesses is what sent me to ask here.

Although I've been looking for that long, I was also working part time while finishing up school and what not so I haven't been looking as hard as I probably could have until a few months ago. I know that the members of this site have their fingers on the pulse of the region so I came here for help. I've applied to positions at SUNY, ithaca and a few other institutions but most research is bio or medical. Thanks again for the responses so far.

*edit* thanks for the link to Hezel. I have never heard of them before but think I would be an excellent match for that research position. I just applied so hopefully I hear from them soon.

Last edited by Zermar; 08-26-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This website should have something too: Central New York Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area