U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 PM
 
56,302 posts, read 80,520,053 times
Reputation: 12425

Advertisements

Again, the 2 beaches are on the same side of Oneida Lake and such instances are rare.

Onondaga Lake is polluted, but has been improving, as there has been events held there in recent years.

I don't what the big deal is with zebra mussels, but Skaneateles is still a very clean lake and there are other places like Cross Lake, Tully Lake, Cazenovia Lake, Lake Ontario and many other lakes and ponds one could use for water activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
 
357 posts, read 835,116 times
Reputation: 447
"The others are cesspools that get shut down because of bacteria" By saying "the others" you just included the multitude of lakes in central NY. Two beaches on one lake, one summer, with bacteria are the facts. By saying "The others are cesspools that get shut down because of bacteria" does mean you are twisting the facts to suit your own agenda.

Last edited by beckyhuggs; 09-18-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,965,330 times
Reputation: 1973
Onondaga Lake has zebra mussels too... as do the other smaller lakes. Those mussels that you complain about are what keep all the local lakes clean. Naturally. The decades of waste going into Onondaga Lake, from industrial scum that didn't care about keeping the lake clean years ago, killed off nearly all of the zebra mussels... and it's getting cleaner every year because the population is starting to explode again. Finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 06:53 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,210,403 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't what the big deal is with zebra mussels.
Zebra mussels are like swimming in a pool lined with razor blades. I learned that the hard way and that is why I don't like them. They are the reason I don't like the lakes around here. They serve their purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
186 posts, read 539,853 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Zebra mussels are like swimming in a pool lined with razor blades. I learned that the hard way and that is why I don't like them. They are the reason I don't like the lakes around here. They serve their purpose.
You have to remember there is a give and take to everything. I understand that you don't like the situation in CNY but that doesn't mean all people from the SW will feel the same. I for one would never swim in any of the lake in AZ or CNY. However CNY would give me a reason to buy a boat and go enjoy those lakes. The scenery is so beautiful out there. So much to look at and enjoy. In my opinion there is nothing at the lakes in AZ that make we want to go to them. Other than maybe trying to get away with tearing ass threw the water on a boat or wave runner. I don't know how thing are in Cali but you won't get away with that very long in AZ. Once that fun comes to an end I'd pretty much be ready to come home because the scenery sucks in my opinion.

Keep in mind I'm a photographer so scenery and environment are very important to me. I'm a very visual person and CNY has a ton of things that leave me in awe. AZ and a large portion of Cali are pretty dull. (we won't talk about New Mexico cause that place really sucks) So basicaly what I'm saying is that even though I'm from the SW my lifestyle and the things I find important are different than yours. I'd gladly accept many of the so called negatives that come from CNY to gain the things I see as positives.

But again I really do appreciate your point of view. So thank you. The people from CNY are upset because it's coming across like you're ****ting on everything they enjoy about Syracuse. I personally don't think you mean to. Your opinion and way of describing it sounds very SW to me.

I will say this about SU though. If you're truly into collage sports in this country I promise that it doesn't matter what part of the country you are from. You know that SU is a major player in collage sports. I've known that before I even had any kind of thought in my mind about moving to Syracuse. And I really don't follow collage sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Pompey, NY
405 posts, read 1,266,498 times
Reputation: 325
Not to pile on or anything, but ToeJam, the oasis that is Los Angles must have some huge farmers markets if you are not impressed with our Regional Market. And I suppose you are not impressed with the huge antiques market in Bouckville last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,210,403 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Not to pile on or anything, but ToeJam, the oasis that is Los Angles must have some huge farmers markets if you are not impressed with our Regional Market. And I suppose you are not impressed with the huge antiques market in Bouckville last month.
I love the regional market, but it is small.

I did not attend the antique market. When I mention swap meets, it is closer to a large outdoor Paradise Market than a flea market or antique market.

I thought about everything you guys have been saying as I walked around downtown today. I do see beauty in the area and I would enjoy visiting here, but it is just not somewhere I want to live for the rest of my life. We can go back and forth forever, but it just comes down to preference. I prefer to live in a warmer climate and in a bigger city and some people prefer 4 seasons and the small town feel. To each his own. To be honest, even if someone told me it would be like this, I wouldn't listen. I had to come experience it for myself. The original poster will never know until he experiences this area for himself. Visiting somewhere and living somewhere are very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 AM
 
357 posts, read 835,116 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I thought about everything you guys have been saying as I walked around downtown today. I do see beauty in the area and I would enjoy visiting here, but it is just not somewhere I want to live for the rest of my life. We can go back and forth forever, but it just comes down to preference. I prefer to live in a warmer climate and in a bigger city and some people prefer 4 seasons and the small town feel. To each his own. To be honest, even if someone told me it would be like this, I wouldn't listen. I had to come experience it for myself. The original poster will never know until he experiences this area for himself. Visiting somewhere and living somewhere are very different.
This I can completely understand and I do value your opinion when it comes to this. I do hope your able to get to wherever it is that you desire most and wish you only the best. Sorry we all got off on the wrong foot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
186 posts, read 539,853 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The original poster will never know until he experiences this area for himself. Visiting somewhere and living somewhere are very different.
I completely agree. I continue to ask questions because I can't move just yet and I'm heart broken about it. It's boiling down to money and moving like a "responsible adult" and our money is in the crapper like the economy in AZ is. My other half was laid off, my business is making damn near nothing, and finding a paying job that is going to pay us enough to save up for our move has not been going very well. Hell we've cut our cost of living a ton and it hasn't made a bit of difference cause our income keep falling too. It's very depressing and a spirit breaker. I just want to leave already.

Hopefully by the end of the school year (May) we'll have enough to make the move responsibly. I hope.

Hanging out on City data, asking questions, and researching the area keep my hopes alive and my spirits up. It's also making me as best prepared for the change as possible. I can't wait! I wish I never left from our visit but we didn't have our kids there with us lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,210,403 times
Reputation: 1858
What kind of work do you do? Maybe finding something here for work will expedite things for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top