U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,647,998 times

Advertisements

What is everyone's favorite fall activities in Syracuse, or the CNY region in general?

It's my second fall in the Syracuse area and am just looking for what other people love doing. I didn't do too much last fall, but definitely want to do some things this time around. Trying to plan a trip with friends to some wineries in November.

I love summer - especially coming from Hawaii and Florida before that. But MAN am I loving this cool Fall weather!! There's really no subsitute for being able to have all your windows and doors open and just relaxing with the nice fresh, cool air!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Take a ride down Route 20 in LaFayette and check out the Apple orchards. You can get some pies, cider and fritters. There are some other orchards throughout the area as well. There's the Apple festival in LaFayette too.

There are some festivals going on through the Fall in Downtown Syracuse and some in other communities.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 AM

This website should help too: www.visitsyracuse.com

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 28,047 times
ckhthankgod, just letting you know that link is invalid

Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indierock79 View Post
ckhthankgod, just letting you know that link is invalid
Oops, my mistake. This should work: Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,974,358 times
All the things that feel most "homey." We go apple-picking in LaFayette and get apple fritters at O'Neils, down the hill (on 20) from Beak & Skiff. Pick up pumpkins to gut for baking (there's been a huge pumpkin shortage for a few years now so this has become tradition throughout fall.) Go to local football and soccer games. It seems like there's a festival every weekend... this weekend is Oktoberfest and my husband has the weekend off, for a change, so we'll definitely be going to that. Hikes at Mill Run Park in Manlius and !!! Highland Forest in Fabius (HUGE - and they have horseback riding during the year and sleigh rides in the winter.) The Finger Lakes (especially Keuka Lake, our favorite) for Taughannock Falls (on Cayuga) and the wineries (Bully Hill, Dr. Frank's, Swedish Hill are must-stops)- we'll be going out there on Saturday with our children, just as I did as a child. Swedish Hill is great for kids... there are quite a few farm-y animals milling about and [free] popcorn and homemade grape juice at almost every winery for the kids. You can find u-pick Concords too.

I like fall best because it's the most comfortable time of the year... perfect for being outdoors during the day and going in for stew and freshly-baked bread in the evening. And not so hot that one feels as though they're sweating out every adult beverage they have. :P

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,647,998 times
Thanks for all the info!! Crazy that it's finally fall and now we're hitting record temps!!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times
Many of the vineyards will be closing or going to reduced hours in November. Now is a fabulous time to get stocked up! And the views are GORGEOUS right now!

Apple Fest already happened in LaFayette, but you can still go apple picking! I've done it near Cortland and at Beak & Skiff. You can also visit Critz Farms. Great especially if you have kids or grandkids. You can go pumpkin picking or get some already picked at Tim's Pumpkin Patch.

You can also just stroll along any of the lakes and/or small towns that are there. Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Seneca Falls, etc.

Check out the schedule for live music at Creekside Books in Skaneateles.

Some of the boats are still in the lakes. Judge Ben Wiles is still in Skaneateles for a little longer. It's an amazing ride this time of year.

Go for a hike! Or a walk! There's tons of waterfalls in the area. Chittenango Falls are AMAZING! Ithaca has tons of gorges and Watkins Glen has waterfalls.

God I miss the Finger Lakes!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area