U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 AM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
The biggest changes in the past 2 to 3 years have been retail development outside the city (Erie Blvd is starting to wake up again,) a bit of new stuff in Armory Square (Sakana Ya sushi, the new Japanese-Korean place next door, new club rumored to be opening soon where Ohm Lounge used to be,) new entertainment venue in the Westcott Theater ( national name jam bands, alternative, and other good live music,) and a few now complete but not yet vital projects (e.g the technology center at ERie and Almond.) Little Italy has not really moved forward - Francesca's, Frankie's, Asti are all still doing well and the Walier Loft apartments are open up the block but it has not really moved beyond that. Biggest change is an increase in downtown residential units - many added in the past two years and many more on the way. Franklin Square continues to be sleepy. Freedom of Espresso opened in the O.M. Edwards building about four years ago when the apartments upstairs were completed but there's been no further action over there since then - it's mostly just offices although Eric Mower Associates moved to Armory Square, so that leaves fewer workers over there. Positive change continues but it's in small increments.
Actually, there has been a couple of new restaurants and a lounge is opening up or is now open in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,381,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, there are some new apartments that have been and continue to open up Downtown. There was construction on a new Bio-Tech Center on the old Kennedy Square site, but it has slowed down for now. There has been some new hotels within the last couple of years that have popped up. O'Brien and Gere has relocated(or will soon) to Downtown in the new Washington Station building. King and King Architects moved Downtown as well, near Armory Square. The Near West Side is starting to get some gentrification. North Salina Street(aka Little Italy) is coming along slowly, but surely with some new businesses and restaurants. St. Joe's is expanding and there are some revamped/newer housing units nearby.

This is a good website for searching jobs: Central New York Jobs

There's the Say Yes to Education program with the city schools. If you check some of the other topics under the Syracuse section of the site, you will see some other things as well.
FYI - Funding for the CNY Biotechnology Research Center is back on track, see attached link.

Work on the CNY Biotech Research Center back on track:SUNY Upstate Medical University

The delay was due to a funding glitch in Albany, see link below.

Delay in state Senate halts construction of a $22 million biotech center in Syracuse | syracuse.com

"About $4.2 million in state money the Senate had allocated for the project was supposed to be put into the SUNY construction fund earlier this summer, but that didn’t happen, said Dan Hurley, an assistant vice president at SUNY. The fiscal constraints of the state caused a lot of this stuff to slow down,” Hurley said. Until the money is in hand, Upstate and ESF cannot seek bids for the next phase of construction, he said. The release of the additional $4.2 million will enable the construction process to resume in the spring after a rebidding of the project during the fall, Upstate Medical University said. The new funding is coming from the Gen*NY*sis program, according to the statement."

Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,381,045 times
I found this CENTRO Transfer Hub presentation and final renderings. The presentation shows existing site conditions and proposed, site plan, crosss-sections, etc...Nice!

Coupled with the redevelopment of the Hotel Syracuse next door, this should compliment developments further north along S. Salina Street, i.e. Deys, Pike developments and Landmark expansion.

http://www.centro.org/images/For%20Public%20_2010-09-13.pdf

For Lefty514, here are links to the Pike, Dey, Hotel Syracuse and Landmark expansion projects:

Pike Block
http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...n-redeveloped-
http://www.deysplazaapartments.com/
Landmark Theatre cleared to move ahead with stage expansion | syracuse.com
Hotel Syracuse renovation plans : News : CNYCentral.com (not sure this project has started as discussed in article)

There are other developments as well, but here are a few to consider.

Welcome back to Syracuse!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM

97 posts, read 220,474 times
Lefty514-

It is good to see that you are looking to return back to Syracuse. As you can see there is much going on in Syracuse that is now putting itself ahead of the curve by implementing to new techniques to rejuvinate the city. Being completely honest, the 90's were not good to Syracuse, and the decades before that were most likely just as bad, but the past 5 years of so have begun to completely change Syracuse from the inside out. Downtown has finally begun to see new life. We are seeing a billion dollars in investment, with a new class A office building, several new renovated buildings that have been turned into condos in Armory & Hanover Squares. National retailers have once again began to look at opening downtown, bucking the national trend of just opening in massive indoor malls. Education and Medical sectors have become a new driving force, especially with recent censtruction explosions at SU, Upstate Medical, and St. Joseph's Hospital's. University Hill is running out of room so the development is spilling over to downtown and the East & West Sides of the city. Housing within the city is on an upswing, and neighborhoods including the Northside (around St. Joes) and the NearWest Side are being rejuvinated. Politically, our Mayor and County Executive have a stong relationship and a unified vision for all of Central New York. So I hope I have shown you that the future is bright for Syracuse & Onondaga County and I for one am very excited that you are looking to be a part of what is happening here.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 AM

838 posts, read 1,426,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, there has been a couple of new restaurants and a lounge is opening up or is now open in the area.
True, but I think the jury is still out on those places, so I did not mention them. Attillio's (old Antonio's location) is open but appears close to being still-born. Prices are high and they do not appear to be doing any business to speak of. Rumor has it that the Italian place run by Sabastino (can't rec all the name - it's behind St. Joe's at State and Belden) may move over there. The lounge is going in where Mezzanote used to be and I'm a bit skeptical about its potential for success for several reasons.

On a brighter note - there has been extensive exterior renovation occurring on the building that housed the Red Light Lounge a few years agop - better known to long time locals as the former Tino's Pizza location. Don't know what the plans are. That building has long been an eyesore, but its location in between Asti and Francesca's makes it a prime spot for another restaurant.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
True, but I think the jury is still out on those places, so I did not mention them. Attillio's (old Antonio's location) is open but appears close to being still-born. Prices are high and they do not appear to be doing any business to speak of. Rumor has it that the Italian place run by Sabastino (can't rec all the name - it's behind St. Joe's at State and Belden) may move over there. The lounge is going in where Mezzanote used to be and I'm a bit skeptical about its potential for success for several reasons.

On a brighter note - there has been extensive exterior renovation occurring on the building that housed the Red Light Lounge a few years agop - better known to long time locals as the former Tino's Pizza location. Don't know what the plans are. That building has long been an eyesore, but its location in between Asti and Francesca's makes it a prime spot for another restaurant.
I saw a sign for a new Italian restaurant near Columbus Bakery too. I wish someone would redevelop the abandoned apartment building near St. Joe's Hospital on North State Street. There's a flatiron building in Little Italy that would be great for apartments and businesses below as well.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,208,971 times
Chipotle opens tomorrow! It still isn't good Mexican, but it's better than any of the other Mexican places out here.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Chipotle opens tomorrow! It still isn't good Mexican, but it's better than any of the other Mexican places out here.
Is it better than all of these places? cnymenus dot com CUISINE

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM

580 posts, read 1,013,746 times
Funny that the people who complain the most about Syracuse and environs are those who are most ignorant about what it has to offer.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,208,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Funny that the people who complain the most about Syracuse and environs are those who are most ignorant about what it has to offer.
I have tried every single Mexican place on that list and some that are not on that list. Try Syracuse Mexican Restaurants | Urbanspoon

El Canelo used to be good, but their quality has dropped in the last year. Garcia's in Cortland is good for this area, but still not even close to real Mexican food.

So to keep this thread positive I will also add that there have been some great new stores opening in the area. The Green Grocery (I don't know if that is the real name), Below Five, and Maines in Fairmount. A new Herb Philipsons in Western Lights and Urban Outfitters in Armory Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area