U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 PM

59 posts, read 183,614 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Chattanooga and am considering making a move back to Syracuse to be closer to family and friends. I keep hearing about new things that are gong on downtown and with the economy. If you can keep the negative comments to yourself (because I've heard them all about Syracuse), can someone give me some of the new and positive things that are going on that I could look forward to if I move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM

56,656 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Well, there are some new apartments that have been and continue to open up Downtown. There was construction on a new Bio-Tech Center on the old Kennedy Square site, but it has slowed down for now. There has been some new hotels within the last couple of years that have popped up. O'Brien and Gere has relocated(or will soon) to Downtown in the new Washington Station building. King and King Architects moved Downtown as well, near Armory Square. The Near West Side is starting to get some gentrification. North Salina Street(aka Little Italy) is coming along slowly, but surely with some new businesses and restaurants. St. Joe's is expanding and there are some revamped/newer housing units nearby.

This is a good website for searching jobs: Central New York Jobs

There's the Say Yes to Education program with the city schools. If you check some of the other topics under the Syracuse section of the site, you will see some other things as well.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:37 PM

I'm a little disappointed that no one seems to want to write about some good things happening here. As usual, most people enjoy complaining and pointing out what's wrong with an area. Having lived all over the country I've come to realize that every place is good and bad..It just depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to accept..So, come on folks..give me some good stuff here!

Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,977,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty514 View Post
I'm a little disappointed that no one seems to want to write about some good things happening here. As usual, most people enjoy complaining and pointing out what's wrong with an area. Having lived all over the country I've come to realize that every place is good and bad..It just depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to accept..So, come on folks..give me some good stuff here!
It's not that at all. I think most of us posters are simply unwilling to type out praises for our area, on demand. We have *already* written the great things in many thousands of posts in this forum.

All a poster needs to do, if they aren't in need of specific, individualized information (town/village/school information for relocating, for example) is scroll down the main page... or use that handy Search feature on the toolbar. It's ^up there,^ between "New Posts" and "Quick Links." I suggest using terms like "improvement", "developer", "new", "gentrification", "renewal", "construction", "cultural" and "affordable."

Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 AM

56,656 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It's not that at all. I think most of us posters are simply unwilling to type out praises for our area, on demand. We have *already* written the great things in many thousands of posts in this forum.

All a poster needs to do, if they aren't in need of specific, individualized information (town/village/school information for relocating, for example) is scroll down the main page... or use that handy Search feature on the toolbar. It's ^up there,^ between "New Posts" and "Quick Links." I suggest using terms like "improvement", "developer", "new", "gentrification", "renewal", "construction", "cultural" and "affordable."
Basically.....

Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,075,050 times
Here is an excellent article from the New Times that spotlights a suburban couple that relocated to Park Avenue on Syracuse's West Side. The article discusses the Five Sisters revitalization project.

Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - City Slickers

Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM

838 posts, read 1,431,761 times
If you make your question less general I think there are a number of us that will chime in with some comments. We already have great public schools in the suburbs, low crime (despite what naysayers will claim), traffic problems are nearly non-existent, the Redhouse Arts Center and Jazz Central have some eclectic music and theater offerings, Syracuse Stage is better than ever with excellent regional professional theater, the Everson Museum has a new director and has hosted several high quality traveling exhibitions this year, airfares from here are far more competitive than they used to be, the upscale local dining scene is vastly imrpoved in the past ten years, we have a great assortment of good ethnic restaurants... and the list goes on.

Let me pose a question to you. Other than being too far away from friends and family in Chattanooga, what do you see as the shortcomings of life there - that you hope will be different or better here?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Ok..I understand that people are bored with typing up praises for the area because they have done it before and I guess I need to read prior posts. I was just looking for things that are new within the past 2-3 years. I grew up in the area so I already know most of what it has to offer. I was just wondering what was gong on with areas like Little Italy and Franklin Square and other areas in the city regarding new construction, restaurants, businesses..Anyway, I guess I'll just continue reading the websites and subscribing to the newspapers..By the way..Phaelon..to answer your question, I'm not looking to Syracuse for things to be better..I'm moving to be with family and friends, not to be in Syracuse because I think it's gong to be so much better than the other places I've lived, like Denver, Boston, Tampa, Chattanooga, etc.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 PM

357 posts, read 837,230 times
Here's a few of the threads where people talk about great things happening in Syracuse that you might want to check out. Some of them are new things, some of them old and well loved but all of these threads stay positive. There are many, many more threads just like these. I just grabbed a handful to post here.

Syracuse Construction Update

Winter Fun?

$28 Million Nanotech R&D Facility Planned for Northern Suburbs

Salina/Liverpool, NY - suburban Syracuse pictures

Tully and Pompey, NY

For those thinking about moving to CNY...

Downtown Syracuse Gains 12 New Restaurants

Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM

838 posts, read 1,431,761 times
The biggest changes in the past 2 to 3 years have been retail development outside the city (Erie Blvd is starting to wake up again,) a bit of new stuff in Armory Square (Sakana Ya sushi, the new Japanese-Korean place next door, new club rumored to be opening soon where Ohm Lounge used to be,) new entertainment venue in the Westcott Theater ( national name jam bands, alternative, and other good live music,) and a few now complete but not yet vital projects (e.g the technology center at ERie and Almond.) Little Italy has not really moved forward - Francesca's, Frankie's, Asti are all still doing well and the Walier Loft apartments are open up the block but it has not really moved beyond that. Biggest change is an increase in downtown residential units - many added in the past two years and many more on the way. Franklin Square continues to be sleepy. Freedom of Espresso opened in the O.M. Edwards building about four years ago when the apartments upstairs were completed but there's been no further action over there since then - it's mostly just offices although Eric Mower Associates moved to Armory Square, so that leaves fewer workers over there. Positive change continues but it's in small increments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area